Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pit Bulls????

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
    Insurance people might correct me on this but I don't think they look at dogs when it comes to home owners insurance.
    "If you own a toothless Chihuahua, your insurer probably doesnt care. Buy a pit bull, Rottweiler or wolf hybrid, however, and you may find your insurance gets more expensive -- if you can persuade your insurer to cover you at all.

Dog bites cost insurers about $310 million a year, and an increasing number of companies have a blacklist of breeds they wont accept or charge more to cover. Pit bulls, which lead the Centers for Disease Control list of deadly breeds, are particularly unwelcome. Other troublesome breeds include German shepherds, Rottweilers, wolf hybrids, huskies, malamutes and Dobermans.

If your dog has ever bitten anyone, regardless of its breed, youre probably going to have trouble getting coverage as well -- particularly if it was an unprovoked attack.

Each insurer has different policies, though, so you may be able to find affordable coverage if you shop around. You also can ask the insurer to exclude your dog, meaning that youll pay for any damage it does.

If you have a dog that bites or lunges at strangers, however, get rid of it. The risks to your pocketbook and your neighbors are too great."
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...ome/P35342.asp
    Last edited by sinjin; October 4, 2007, 08:39 AM.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
      Ban them completely and let the breed die out.

susie, this by far has to be one of the most ignorant comments you ever posted.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
        http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_your_homeowner's_insurance_go_up_if_you_buy_a _pit_bull
        Dogs
        If you own a toothless Chihuahua, your insurer probably doesnt care. Buy a pit bull, Rottweiler or wolf hybrid, however, and you may find your insurance gets more expensive -- if you can persuade your insurer to cover you at all.

Dog bites cost insurers about $310 million a year, and an increasing number of companies have a blacklist of breeds they wont accept or charge more to cover. Pit bulls, which lead the Centers for Disease Control list of deadly breeds, are particularly unwelcome. Other troublesome breeds include German shepherds, Rottweilers, wolf hybrids, huskies, malamutes and Dobermans.

If your dog has ever bitten anyone, regardless of its breed, youre probably going to have trouble getting coverage as well -- particularly if it was an unprovoked attack.

Each insurer has different policies, though, so you may be able to find affordable coverage if you shop around. You also can ask the insurer to exclude your dog, meaning that youll pay for any damage it does.

If you have a dog that bites or lunges at strangers, however, get rid of it. The risks to your pocketbook and your neighbors are too great.
        http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...ome/P35342.asp

we have been homeowners since 2003. and so far our insurance has never gone up and they were well aware that so far we have had both rotties and pit bulls in our home. our dogs have never bitten anybody. they have however ON COMMAND will scare the crap out of you. as in WATCH who Makoa will look at you with evil eyeballs and WARN which means he will give you a growl, he was trained to disarm a weapon but not hurt the person, but if i told him BE NICE he would lay there and ignore the hell out of you. and he has never bit anyone. i will admit i got nervous when i had my baby. i didn't know how he was going to react at first but he loved her and would let her lay on him and there were times im sure his patience ran low when as a baby she would throw the bottle at his head and all he would do is sigh and pad over to another room.

our current pit is on the mellow side...i'll even offer for you to spend some time with him and see if he can change your mind about the breed.

as for IRRESPONSIBLE owners, well what the hell can you do, there's people out there that are irresponsible parents.
        Last edited by CranBeree; October 4, 2007, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Susie, that is mean and uncalled for. Go sleep.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
            susie, this by far has to be one of the most ignorant comments you ever posted.
            Actually Susie is in step with even PETA on this one:
            http://www.peta.org/about/hottopic007.asp
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

as for IRRESPONSIBLE owners, well what the hell can you do, there's people out there that are irresponsible parents.
              You can disarm them and make rearming themselves expensive and difficult.

...i'll even offer for you to spend some time with him and see if he can change your mind about the breed..
              As I said before, my family has kept these animals. I am very familiar with them. They are prone to aggression towards other dogs and many owners are not capable of stopping their dogs once excited. They will turn on a human if one attempts to intervene. Your pride in their ability to frighten is at the heart of the issue.
              Last edited by sinjin; October 4, 2007, 08:55 AM.

Comment

there's people out there that are irresponsible parents.
                Tempting juxtaposition...

Comment

I guess we should breed out the ignorant people and let them die out ....

Comment

You can disarm them and make rearming themselves expensive and difficult.

As I said before, my family has kept these animals. I am very familiar with them. They are prone to aggression towards other dogs and many owners are not capable of stopping their dogs once excited. They will turn on a human if one attempts to intervene. Your pride in their ability to frighten is at the heart of the issue.
                    my pride is in the fact that i can control my dog and not the other way around. ive had rotties for over 14 years, pits on and off for about 7 years.

not ONCE have they bit on command or even just for the hell of it.

Comment

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...,191067.column

read all the way through.

Comment

The reason that Bullies have become such a dangerous breed is due to Irresponsible breeding.

Backyard breeders who breed dogs to fight chose bullies and rotties to fight due to their high threshold for pain. They are often mal-treated to make them angry so that they'll fight.

When fighting dogs are born, often times, they are weaned away from their mothers and litter mates WAY too early. This does several things one of which is that the dogs never "learn" bite force.

When puppies are with their litter, they often bite each other until the other pup yelps. that's an indicator for the biting dog that they've bitten too hard. Fighting dogs do NOT know how hard is too hard. Which is the BB's goal with these dogs. High threshold for pain accompanied with a hard bite force is idealic in the dog fighting world.

The term PIT came from the days of when people used to put their bully breeds in a "pit" with rats for a given amount of time. However many rats the dog killed/caught in that amount of time gave the score for the sport. Bull breeds being part of the Terrier category, they naturally hunted rats pretty well.

Bullies need LOTS of attention from their owners to be a happy, well adjusted dog. Unfortunately, most owners feel it's ok to leave their bully outside and chained up all day by itself. This leads to the dogs going crazy. They WANT attention. They DEMAND attention.

People forget that dogs are animals and that regardless of how humans train them, there will always be certain animals that will be seen as horrible creatures. Like any other breed of dog that has become popular, bad breeding/inbreeding cause lots of genetic defects with the dogs. Same thing happened with Cocker Spaniels. Read about their temperment's here.

The argument that you don't see small dogs reported as killing anyone is ignorant. I mean c'mon. The bigger the animal, the more damage they can do. That's like having Conan the Barbarian and Willow compete for how many lions they can kill with their bare hands. Sure they'll both do some damage but Conan will win. Ok... Ok.. lets be more realistic. My 18 lb cat with fangs that hang below his lower jaw and a cougar vs humans. Which one's gonna kill more?

Don't tell me that a chihuahua can't be vicious. I know one that is tremendously vicious. Why? Because it's owner allows it to be.

Read my situation in the How do you cope? thread. I loved my Sami and always will. Unfortunately for my wife and I, he had some very poor past experiences. The only reason that we've decided not to get another bully is because we wanted 2 dogs and we don't feel we could handle 2 dogs of that size.
                        -kp!

Comment

thank you KP, you said it way better than i ever could.

Comment

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/colu...o_history.html
                            Read all the way through.

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                              The term PIT came from the days of when people used to put their bully breeds in a "pit" with rats for a given amount of time. However many rats the dog killed/caught in that amount of time gave the score for the sport. Bull breeds being part of the Terrier category, they naturally hunted rats pretty well.
                              I believe you don't have your facts straight. Bull dogs are related to mastiffs although crossing with terrier dogs has produced various "bull terriers" including the APBT. The "pit" in pit bull refers to the pit used for dog fighting.

Comment

I believe you don't have your facts straight. Bull dogs are related to mastiffs although crossing with terrier dogs has produced various "bull terriers" including the APBT. The "pit" in pit bull refers to the pit used for dog fighting.
                                I got my facts from the The American Pit Bull Registry so if they're wrong, Then by all means, I'll stand corrected about the history of them. I've read other things about their history in magazines such as they were originally bred to separate the bulls from the cows. (bullybreed magazine)
                                -kp!

Comment

Working...
                                X