Are you interested in rock climbing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you interested in rock climbing?

If anyone on Oahu is interested in rock climbing, I am always looking for new people to join. I generally go climbing four times per week and I have enough equipment to bring two additional people. Regardless if your new to the sport or a seasoned expert there are climbs that will suit your experience level on the island. There are over 150 routes, some of which span in excess of 80 feet tall, on the island. If your interested let me know and you can take a trip out with me and my climbing partners and see how you like it.

Re: Are you interested in rock climbing?

that's a very generous offer and i hope someone (or a number of people) join you for a climb. my wife would kill me if i went out rock climbing now but i've always admired people who do it. the only time i really went rock climbing was in tasmania, with ropes of course. it was a fairly easy climb; about 200 feet.

when i was in greece, my jaw dropped as i watched some people climb without ropes. that was a nail biting experience.

is there a rock climbing club on oahu? i always thought (incorrectly) that the rocks here in hawaii weren't solid enough. so where are the most popular spots for climbing?
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

If I had more time, I'd be interested in giving it a try. I've done a little bit with my cusions some years back. But that was before I put on some pounds, so it's likely to be harder for me now.

I'm more curious about your name. I take it you deal in sound? What do you do?

Comment

I've seen groups rock climbing at Makapuʻu, on the cliffs to the right of the lookout towards the lighthouse. Seems to me that the rock climbers like the challenge of mastering the rock face. Not me; when I climb mountains it's for the reward of the gorgeous views at the top. Like shaveice, I also always thought Hawaiian rocks were too crumbly. Aren't they?

Comment

I use to be a car audio installer. I have been competing in SPL competitions for five years and thus that’s where my name comes from. However now I am an IT tech. There is rock on the island that is solid enough to climb. We have approximately 100 defined routes. Most are located on the North Shore area at Makapu'u. We do not have a climbing "club". In reality pretty much everyone that climbs regularly knows most of the other climbers on the island for there are not many climbers here.

Comment

Most of the rock here is bad, as ShaveIce noted.

There are some faces that are solid and clean enough to work on. But even then there's some risk of rock falls so it helps to go with people who know the spots.

Climbing is done for the sake of climbing. Reaching the top is a by product of the process. And most of the places that are worth climbing on Oah don't have much of a view anyway.

I took an REI class in California and did a little climbing here but decided against continuing. I have too many other things going on and can't spend the time. Was fun, tho.

Comment

is that rock climbing place on sand island road still around? might be an alternative for someone who wants an easy and safe workout...
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

All of the climbing spots I have been to so far provide an extremely good view. Yes there are many spots on the island that are bad for climbing but I don’t go there. There are specific areas on the island designated for climbing and that’s where I go. Those areas are specifically set up for climbing and the rock is solid. I have climbed over 50 pitches in these areas so far and I have yet to have a single rock break off on me.

These are the designated climbing areas: http://www.rockclimbinghawaii.com/outdoor_main.html

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                  is that rock climbing place on sand island road still around? might be an alternative for someone who wants an easy and safe workout...
                  That place closed long ago.

A good climbing spot on the North Shore experienced a nasty rockfall at least once before. If someone were standing there it would have been fatal.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                    That place closed long ago.

A good climbing spot on the North Shore experienced a nasty rockfall at least once before. If someone were standing there it would have been fatal.
                    yeah, with all the wind/rain we've had over the past couple of months, i wonder if any of those popular climbing places have changed from rock solid to iffy?

Comment

Well I am up at the north shore climbing area four times per week and I haven’t seen anything excessively dangerous. Granted yes there are still lots of rocks above the climbing area but it seems as long as no one goes up there they don’t fall down. I have haven’t seen a single one of the rocks up top fall down as of yet.

Comment

Maybe all the rotten stuff has dropped off by now. It's been a while since I've been up there.

Was fun while it lasted! It was like being Spiderman. A very slow, klutzy version of Spiderman.

Comment

Working...
                        X