Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Toddler thrown onto freeway

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I wonder what standard the courts created in defining "imminent danger"? Seems to me if they are unpredictable, then they are a danger. Or to use the standard for insanity, if they can't distinguish between right and wrong, then why do we allow them out unsupervised? If they can't distinguish, then it's just a matter of time before they do something wrong. (Interesting, the dictionay defiintion of imminent is "ready to take place".)
    Per HRS 334-1:

"Dangerous to others" means likely to do substantial physical or emotional injury on another, as evidenced by a recent act, attempt or threat.

"Dangerous to property" means inflicting, attempting or threatening imminently to inflict damage to any property in a manner which constitutes a crime, as evidenced by a recent act, attempt or threat.

"Dangerous to self" means the person recently has threatened or attempted suicide or serious bodily harm; or the person recently has behaved in such a manner as to indicate that the person is unable, without supervision and the assistance of others, to satisfy the need for nourishment, essential medical care, shelter or self-protection, so that it is probable that death, substantial bodily injury, or serious physical debilitation or disease will result unless adequate treatment is afforded.

The standard is imminent danger of harm to self or others, not harm to property (since you mentioned that Higa broke windows). I haven't heard any fact-based report that Higa recently threatened or attempted to harm himself or any other person prior to Cyrus Belt. and our mental health system (like our legal system) made a choice not to involuntarily incarcerate people just because people may potentially harm other people unless there is proof that the risk of them harming someone is severe, real and soon to occur (not just a distant possibility ~ distant both respect to time and likelihood). It may come out that our mental health professionals maybe should have known that Matthew Higa was an imminent threat to the safety of others and failed to act appropriately. But I haven't seen any reliable information establishing that so far. I have no idea what any doctors examining Higa recently might have seen or what tests may have been run or how he may have behaved when he was around other people or if anything triggered unexpected reactions from Higa and set him off to kill Cyrus.

One might argue that anyone using illicit drugs, as Higa was alleged to have done, is unpredictable and potentially dangerous but sadly, I don't think we have the space and resources to incarcerate all drug users in Hawaii indefinitely until we're sure they will never ever use drugs again.

Wasn't there a recent movie (at least one movie) in which the people of that society decided to run risk analyses and preemptively incarcerate people who were deemed to have a higher risk of possibly committing a crime even if they didn't commit a crime? That's the kind of society we decided not to become. Everyone may potentially harm themselves or someone else and how would any of us prove that we will never harm ourselves or anyone else before any actual incident in which the harm may occur? We decided, as a society, that mentally ill people do not automatically lose their civil rights and their Constitutional rights just because they are mentally ill. Hard as this sounds, we decided, as a people, that we'd rather err on the side of risking some harmful people going free than err on the side of risking keeping some innocent people prisoner. We decided that before we can force someone to undergo medical treatment or take medication or be held against their will, a high standard has to be met to show that our right to force those people outweighs any rights those people may have. And you're right, deciding how imminent is imminent and how serious a potential threat of harm may be is not an easy task.

Every time a tragedy like this occurs, there is a rush to change our laws and procedures, make new laws and procedures, to make sure it never happens again. Certainly any improvement that can be made, should be made. We should all make efforts to try to prevent violence against people. But I keep coming back to the thought that we have laws and procedures and people who abuse or kill other people are people who don't care that we have laws and procedures and also that no legislation and no policy will prevent someone from killing another person if they're determined to kill that other person. Humans ~ we just can't guarantee no matter what we do that we will never hurt ourselves or each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
      That's the kind of society we decided not to become. Everyone may potentially harm themselves or someone else and how would any of us prove that we will never harm ourselves or anyone else before any actual incident in which the harm may occur?
      Wooooooooooord.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
        Hard as this sounds, we decided, as a people, that we'd rather err on the side of risking some harmful people going free than err on the side of risking keeping some innocent people prisoner.
        So the upshot of all this is that there's very little that society can do to prevent something like this from happening again, correct?

I may have been a bit rash in saying Higa should have never been released, but the point I want to leave is that is the area we need to concentrate on, not the CPS angle. There is zero evidence that the mother's drug use had any direct effect the sequence of events.

Comment

Sadly, I think it's true that we cannot legislate someone into refraining from destructive behavior if they don't care about violating the law and we cannot predict and prevent every possible way in which people may choose to harm each other. Which isn't to say that we shouldn't have laws or we shouldn't try to prevent the harm but those are only parts of the solution. The real solution has to do with what went wrong with these people in the first place and personal responsibility for one's own actions.

I agree with you that based upon what has been publicized so far, I don't think the mother's drug use or personal history had any direct effect on the death of Cyrus Belt.

Comment

The accused killer is getting set to receive his day in court. But a potential bombshell looms.

Was Matthew Higa ever read his Miranda rights on the day he was taken into custody by HPD? Or was it done a day later, after Higa made some key statements. Needless to say, this could have a tremendous impact on what evidence will be allowed in the trial.

And while Cyrus Belt's mother is not the one who is on trial, it's beginning to sound like her lifestyle, actions, and behavior will be brought to the attention of the court by Higa's defense attorney.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              [...]
              And while Cyrus Belt's mother is not the one who is on trial, it's beginning to sound like her lifestyle, actions, and behavior will be brought to the attention of the court by Higa's defense attorney.
              That's his job...I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                That's his job...I would think.
                That brings up one of the speedbumps in life we all face. At any moment, someone ELSE could do something that then brings focus to US. Such as Cyrus's mother now being (potentially) brought into a very public trial due to the action of Higa. Such as Tiger's wife being brought into a media firestorm due to the actions of her husband. You get the idea. Today you woke up a tabloid "nobody", and tonight you are front page news, due to someone else's actions.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Looking back on this thread and re-reading some of the things that were said more than a year ago made me stop and think for awhile.

I remember taking some heat for saying, "Your outrage, concerns, and balloons/gifts for Cyrus are all a day late and a dollar short." But thinking about it now, I'm glad I said it. Getting verbally harangued on this message board for a couple of days (if even that) kinda got under my skin at the time, but now, it means nothing. In fact, I had forgotten all about it.... until this latest development in the Matthew Higa trial. If even just one person stopped and thought for a moment about how they could help neglected/abused children who are still alive, then it would have been worth it. Scriv's sentiments (as written on his blog) probably reached a greater audience, if anything.

How everyone (and I'm talking about the general public at large, not Cyrus Belt's family, relatives, and friends) decided to express their grief was a personal thing. For nearly a couple of months, people were leaving balloons and stuffed animals on the overpass. And if this was their way of dealing with the tragedy, then I hope that it brought them some comfort and peace of mind. I wasn't one of those people, as I said earlier in the discussion, Cyrus was in a place where such gifts wouldn't help him now.

But still, I wanted to do something for him. So I made a donation to Prevent Child Abuse Hawaii in the memory of Cyrus Belt. My personal donation was small, but I hope that others likewise remember that boy with the cute smile and will be motivated to find it in their hearts to do something that will help a child abuse victim who is still living and can be saved.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 10, 2009, 12:54 PM.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

From another thread:
                    Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                    So, the kid is still hollering every day. Is it normal for a little girl to SCREAM for her mommy every time she gets put to bed? Im starting to worry. The kid screams like its being murdered, and its not just at afternoon nap, its at bedtime too. It sounds horrible!
                    My personal donation was small, but I hope that others likewise remember that boy with the cute smile and will be motivated to find it in their hearts to do something that will help a child abuse victim who is still living and can be saved.
                    Is there a message to be taken from FM that TG might want to consider?
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I made a donation to Prevent Child Abuse Hawaii in the memory of Cyrus Belt.
                      I take back anything I may have said or considered saying, regarding horses that are deceased and subsequent flogging of said beasts.

Nice post, FM, very nice.

And I am reminded of the story discussed in this thread. It's been a year - I hope she continues to heal and have a life of joy.
                      Last edited by Leo Lakio; December 11, 2009, 01:00 PM.

Comment

At the very least, both parents had so much personal trouble that they couldn't even take care of themselves, let alone little Cyrus.

Neither were the rest of the families able/willing to provide adequate care for this child. This is just one of those situations where, perhaps, this particular boy had very little chance for a happy, normal life. Despite all the efforts of our government and charitable institutions, not every child can be saved.

I can understand the mother for making some irrational statements in the midst of this unimaginable trauma. But later on when emotions have calmed and the killer is sentenced, if she has any conscious at all,.... she will have to think about her part in this tragedy. If Cyrus wasn't at the mercy of some crazed person, who's to say that he wouldn't have died or been endangered in some other way due to parental neglect? It happens all too often.
                        It turns out my instincts were correct. Nancy Chanco (Cyrus Belt's mother) admits during trial spending that fateful day:

1) at an illegal gambling parlor in Chinatown.

2) smoking ice with Matthew Higa's father and her boyfriend (Shane Mizusawa)

3) shoplifting at Ala Moana center, trying to make up for her gambling losses.

Moreover, most of the adults in Cyrus' all-too-brief life were drug addicts.

Advertiser/HNN

Star Bulletin/KITV

KHON

As I said before, given the horrendous home/family environment that Cyrus Belt was raised, no amount of social worker intervention (short of removing the child from the custody of the mother and placing him in foster care) was going to save the boy from some sort of harm and danger.

Comment

GrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRaaaAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! !!!!!eleventy!!!!!

I HATE THIS WOMAN!!! NANCY CHANCO, YOU %$#*)^&!@$%^&,>&*%$@@###$<,*&&##$%%{$!*!!!!! I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE YOU FOR YOUR IDIOTIC LIFE CHOICES, AND THE RESULTS OF YOUR DISGUSTING BEHAVIOR!!!!! (insert stamping feet with fury here)

A gambler, THIEF, addict, neglectful, MOTHER. What a waste of a life. I'm unbelievably repulsed and pissed.
                          Last edited by turtlegirl; January 29, 2010, 01:05 PM. Reason: punctuation error
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

It is sad that an innocent was sacrificed to mentally ill parents an carertakers.

Until we have a system to separate mentally ill from the general population, we can expect more such incidents.

Sadly, innocents die at the hands of the insane.

K>
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              Sadly, innocents die at the hands of the insane.

K>
                              This sad excuse for a mother was not 'insane'. She was a crook, a scammer, a selfish drug and crime addled individual, who's irresposible choices resulted in an innocent child's violent death. Not to mention, the trauma inflicted upon any witnesses and rescue personnel. How horrible for them!

I can't make sense of this. If there is a hell, I hope she burns there.
                              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                                This sad excuse for a mother was not 'insane'. She was a crook, a scammer, a selfish drug and crime addled individual,[...]
                                Be it this tragic situation or any other tragic situation, that sounds like a horribly sick, dysfunctional individual to me whether or not s/he is labeled 'insane'. A healthy, functional individual doesn't conduct his/her life in this manner. Am I excusing her behavior? No way. One doesn't have to be insane to act like a despicable human being. Baby Cyrus seemed to be surrounded by despicable humans. Poor little guy never had a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X