• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Quarter!

Mint Releases Hawaii Quarter
    Written by Jim Mendoza
    February 29, 2008

The last time we saw the Hawaii quarter, it was just a draft then a drawing. Not anymore.

"I can't get them fast enough. I would love to have more right now," said Samantha Medcalf.

Her shop, Hawaiian Islands Stamp & Coin, is one of the first collectibles stores in Hawaii to sell 2008 commemorative quarter sets that includes the freshly minted Hawaii quarter.

The United States Mint released the "proof" sets on Jan. 24. The second batch was released on Monday.

The proof set is nicer than quarters that will go into general circulation in November.

"They clean them. They shine them. And then they actually strike the coin twice," said Marsha Wienert, of the state's Hawaii Commemorative Quarter Commission.

Hawaii's twenty-five cent piece has King Kamehameha, the island chain, and the state motto in relief on one side. George Washington is on the other side.

"It's beautiful," Medcalf said. "The state took a while to come up with the design and the Mint to engrave it. so it's a lovely coin."

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/4479/40/

I want one too!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Hawaii Quarter!

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    Mint Releases Hawaii Quarter
    Written by Jim Mendoza
    February 29, 2008

The last time we saw the Hawaii quarter, it was just a draft then a drawing. Not anymore.

"I can't get them fast enough. I would love to have more right now," said Samantha Medcalf.

Her shop, Hawaiian Islands Stamp & Coin, is one of the first collectibles stores in Hawaii to sell 2008 commemorative quarter sets that includes the freshly minted Hawaii quarter.

The United States Mint released the "proof" sets on Jan. 24. The second batch was released on Monday.

The proof set is nicer than quarters that will go into general circulation in November.

"They clean them. They shine them. And then they actually strike the coin twice," said Marsha Wienert, of the state's Hawaii Commemorative Quarter Commission.

Hawaii's twenty-five cent piece has King Kamehameha, the island chain, and the state motto in relief on one side. George Washington is on the other side.

"It's beautiful," Medcalf said. "The state took a while to come up with the design and the Mint to engrave it. so it's a lovely coin."

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/4479/40/

I want one too!
    Yeah, You, me & everyone in this world, especially if they are also coin collector(s), too.

I don't think I can help you much, cuz, I am also a coin collector too, & it seems like, "everyone is out for themselves" now a days.

I have been collecting (the us quarters) them since the year 1999.

I also have one more year to go, though I think majority of the coins will end up trickeling in late, & I know this for a fact, cuz, I just finished the last batch from 2007 row this year.

If you don't get any this year, wait till 2009 maybe 2010, can't be sure on the year. I know I have one more row to go, & my hobby will soon end.

If you ask me, I really don't want to get into the nickel side. lol.

I have soo much varieties of coins (but not with me at the moment), to silver coins, old USA coins, europian, asians coins etc.

Need I go on? lol. So, yeah, I collect them too. You are not alone in waiting for the rest of them to come in.

Happy waiting.

Aloha.

Ahui Hou.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Note: it's just the commemorative proof sets that were issued in January. The general circulation Hawai`i quarter won't be out until the fall of 2008 - the last of the 50.

Comment

I'll just wait for the midnight infomercial or HSN offer for the entire set...BUT WAIT!!! THERE'S MORE!!!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          I'll just wait for the midnight infomercial or HSN offer for the entire set...BUT WAIT!!! THERE'S MORE!!!
          Don't forget the option for easy pay, now it's more affordable than ever! "For less than $.01/day you can own...."
          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
            Don't forget the option for easy pay, now it's more affordable than ever! "For less than $.01/day you can own...."
            And thats not all! Call within the next 30-seconds and receive a bonus second set for your friends! PLUS we'll waive the shipping and handling charges!

If you don't want to keep the set, return it and keep the Ginzu knives free as our gift to you!!!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Today is the first day the Hawaii quarters are available. First Hawaiian Bank is offering them by the roll. I think around 2 pm ish the other banks will also be offering them. American Savings Bank and First Hawaiian Bank have set up tents on the sidewalks downtown. The lines for American Savings and First Hawaiian Bank are wrapping around the block.

Comment

I cashed a check at the Hawaii Kai Safeway Bank of Hawaii branch and asked if they had the new quarter. So I got a roll with my cash. Now the girls have them in their collector books. I've got $9.50 left, going for 29.50!!! LOL.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Comment

Oh Lordy...didya wait in that line, too, PZ?! I walked passed the Apple Store Waikiki yesterday and thought of you!

Comment

Got my quarters without having to wait in the ridiculously long line. A few hours after the hullabaloo was over, I went to First Hawaiian Bank where they were only selling one roll of quarters each to account holders. I bought 2 rolls, one for Hawaii and the other for Alaska, which I have not seen until today.

My Alaska and Hawaii rolls.

Earlier today at the unveiling ceremony: Governor Linda Lingle

More photos at this link: http://tinyurl.com/48wced
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oh wrong thread. I thought Hawaii got their Quarter back. This isn't about Greg Alexander.

Comment

How many of you are aware of the Kingdom of Hawaii coins issued by Kalakaua in 1883? Now, there is a quarter worth collecting!
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Since any and all coins from the former kingdom are so rare, it is next to impossible for average people to attain those without spending huge amounts of money. The 50th State Quarter program made coin collecting accessible to everyone who wanted to collect each coin or only the Hawaii Quarter. The coin just costs 25¢ for 1.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              Since any and all coins from the former kingdom are so rare, it is next to impossible for average people to attain those without spending huge amounts of money.
                              Now that the topic of coins is hot, it might be a good time to ask Tutu or Auntie or Uncle if they have any "old Hawaii coins".

Many of the coins that come up for sale have originated from family members selling off their deceased Tutu's old coins that were found tossed in a drawer when clearing the house .... so maybe offering to buy them from Tutu before that happens would be beneficial to all.

You'd get the coins for your new collection, and Tutu would get to enjoy the cash on a trip to Vegas, or a new soft chair, or whatevers.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X