The Falls of Clyde ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Falls of Clyde ship

To do any land based internment would need State involvement, and they, like the military (Pearl Harbor is probably where she'll end up) aren't into taking it on.
    Encasing the hull would be a terrible move any way, as the FOC's hull is every bit as impressive as the rest of the vessel and needs to be featured if it's out of the water.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

And if it did go on dry land, I assume they'd bury the keel and only expose the hull from the waterline up?
      I'd rather see her in the water, if at all possible.
      And I saw that story in the Advertiser this morning too, and hope that FOFOC get as much back as possible, though I have my doubts, darn it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Yes, the optimum would be to have her floating in a prime spot at Honolulu Harbor, where she served in her hey days. But if it was on land, there should be a majorly secure way designed to provide access to full viewing of her hull, which is only to be seen to be appreciated.
        She'll be in dry dock before New Years, so you may be able to check her out and see for yourself.

www.friendsoffallsofclyde.org

Comment

I'm really looking forward to seeing her in drydock, with my trusty camera in hand.
          The part that I can't figure about storing her on dry land afterwards is that you'd have to be half a mile away to really see it. If you're standing next to it and looking up... yikes! I mean, she's something like 260' long, right? But what is her draft, and what is her freeboard? Bottom of keel to deck is, what, 40' or more? So standing next to her on dry land, looking up 40'+, WOW. Scaffolding and ladders to get up to deck level? An escalator? The logistics are tough.
          Keep her in the water, says I.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Aye, Captain!

It would indeed be a monster out of the water, but what a spectacle!
            Wait til you see her hull in dry dock. Very impressive. Too bad she'll be minus her mast's and yards.
            I was thinking of trying to get aboard for the move over to dry dock. I did that about 25 years ago, when she was fully outfitted, and to be on board when this majestic vessel is moving in the water, even tho towed, is an unforgettable experience. I'll just let it be, as it would be much less thrilling with her looking so sad and without her rigging. But if anybody else can swing it, do!

Comment

The problem with having FOC in the water in a prime spot is that's exactly where she was for the last several decades. The result of that was a condemned ship. That's the ideal, but who's going to pay for it? Encasing her on dry land -- let's say in cement up to the waterline -- isn't the ideal solution, but it might be the only affordable one for long-term preservation.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                Encasing her on dry land -- let's say in cement up to the waterline -- isn't the ideal solution, but it might be the only affordable one for long-term preservation.
                That's what the Japanese have done with at least one of their historic ships.

Comment

The problem with having FOC in the water in a prime spot is that's exactly where she was for the last several decades. The result of that was a condemned ship. That's the ideal, but who's going to pay for it? Encasing her on dry land -- let's say in cement up to the waterline -- isn't the ideal solution, but it might be the only affordable one for long-term preservation.
                  Hear hear! The one practical solution (other than scuttling it) that has been suggested in this entire thread.

Trying to keep the FOC seaworthy is like a bottomless money pit. And in these tough economic times, it's a losing battle.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Trying to keep the FOC seaworthy is like a bottomless money pit...
                    I truly wish the "Friends of Falls of Clyde" all the best.

Okay, so the Bishop Museum didn't do enough in maintenance and since it was believed the ship would be scuttled, there are items missing. The FOC is NOT a revenue maker and it really does cost money to maintain a boat (even small ones, which this is not). Actually the Maritime Museum operates at a loss, being "kept afloat" by her big sister. Funny how sooo many people seem to care passionately about a project when it becomes a dire situation, but haven't commited any time/energy/money/etc. during the time leading up to that point.

I wonder if the "Friends..." have a real workable business plan...
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                      Okay, so the Bishop Museum didn't do enough in maintenance and since it was believed the ship would be scuttled, there are items missing.

I wonder if the "Friends..." have a real workable business plan...
                      In the BM's secretive and hurried excercise to sink the vessel, which virtually gauranteed no chance of a last minute miracle of rescue, they conducted a 'grab and run, free for all' without any accountability towards whom would be taking what and to where it would kept, making the current restoration efforts immensly more difficult and wasting the few 'friends' staff's time and expenses.
                      For a MUSEUM to behave as such is unexpected/unheard of and completely unexceptable.

With Skip Neftel at the helm of the Friends of the FOC, somebody I enjoyed as my Captain many years ago, and having friends who've worked closely with him in recent decades, I have absolute confidence in his interests and capabilities towards securing a plan and in fact a viable future for the ship.
                      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; December 3, 2008, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        That's what the Japanese have done with at least one of their historic ships.

Battleship Mikasa. Which is encased, but also right on the waterfront.

http://brickmuppet.mee.nu/battleship_mikasa

The Vancouver Maritime Museum (which could be a role model for our Maritime Center) has the St. Roch on dry ground, except that it's sort of a permanent dry dock sized just for the ship.
                        Last edited by buzz1941; December 3, 2008, 11:55 AM.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Battleship Mikasa.
                          Ah, you found the one I was thinking of. This ship has a lot of national history, and not just a "neat old ship".

Comment

The BS just never ends

In today's paper, it's stated by Bishop Museum that all items they considered artifacts were accounted for and stored, but that some items were discarded.
                            www.starbulletin.com/news/20081209_Friends_of_Falls_of_Clyde_works_to_preser ve_a_historic_ship.html
                            There wasn't anything on the vessel that should have been allowed to leave their care let alone be thrown away. This is yet another outrageous revelation. If someone/s responsible for this aren't at the least reprimanded for the gross mishandling of this whole mess, then there is something very wrong here.

Just to get past the pathetic distruction levied by museum actions and inactions is going to be a massive project.

Be sure to view the pix #s 2 & 3 before and after pics from the link. This is but one small example of what she was pre vs post museum 'care'.
                            I can't believe these people still have their jobs.
                            Last edited by Ron Whitfield; December 9, 2008, 03:21 PM.

Comment

If all I hear is true... of the things that could've/should've been done for the past 30 years that wasn't, then I'm truly ashamed of the Bishop and Maritime Museums.

Guess there just wasn't any 'Boat' people involved with the FOC?
                              It's sad, but then again... where were the "Friends of FOC" either?
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Put another candle on her birthday cake, she's another year old today...

130 years, to be exact! No thanx to Bishop Museum...
                                A birthday party will be happening at Gordon Biersch/Aloha Tower, from 5:30 to 8pm tonite.

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                                It's sad, but then again... where were the "Friends of FOC" either?
                                'The Friends' were after the fact, and had no say during the last few years. They stepped up when it was obvious the clock was rapidly ticking towards her demise and no one else better suited was stepping forward as BM schemed to sink her.

Happy Birthday, FOC, may you survive in fine shape for another 130!
                                It can happen...

Comment

Working...
                                X