Who's Been Canned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's Been Canned?

Here's a funny story about getting fired.

I was standing in on a movie that was particularly difficult for multiple reasons. Lots of on-location shooting, harsh weather, 'difficult' cast and crew members, really long hours...

Anyway, one of the Production Assistants has a total meltdown one afternoon. I don't know the details of why it suddenly happened, but the last time we saw this guy, he ripped off his headset and radio, and yelled (while pointing at various people) - "f-you, f-you, f-you, you're cool, f-you, f-you, I f-ing hate you, sorry guys, but f-you, and f-you too!!!!! And he stomped off set and left.

Hahaha! We were all speechless....

Good luck, Jdub, and enjoy your 'Unemployment Vacation'!!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Wow. You all are amazing.

I was officially "let go," which means I'm eligible for unemployment. I was also afforded a modest severence, I'll keep my insurance until the end of the month, and the former boss has promised a glowing reference when needed. So I reckon it could have been considerably worse.

I am again staggered by the compassion and unequivocal support I receive from my friends here. It is immeasurably comforting. Then fact that all here agree categorically that my response to getting canned was appropriate indicates to me that you all are examples of the class and dignity I strive to embody. Thank you for that, my friends.

I've still got steady paid gigs with my music and writing, so I'm not in panic mode yet, and it's actually kind of nice to have NOTHING TO DO. Working every day for the past few years had begun to take a toll on the mind and spirit. I'm going to be able to spend a little more time with the family and focus on writing.

Thanks yall, again, for friendship and support with which you all are so remarkably generous. I consider it among the many blessings I enjoy in life.
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Then come to an HT gathering once in a while.

sheesh.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yeah!! Now that you don't have job responsibilities, I fully expect to see you on Sunday, snack food in hand!!

You surf?
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            Then come to an HT gathering once in a while.
            So...you're going to the picnic after all?

Jamie - thanks for being a class act, even to those of us you've never met. The range of your HT postings (topics and responses) tells me that you have a pretty deep well of strength - it's gotten you through harder times than this, and it'll get you through this one. But take scrivener's hint; some face-to-face time with these folks will help keep that well as full as you need it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              So...you're going to the picnic after all?
              "Once in a while." Not necessarily Sunday.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                Here's a funny story about getting fired.

I was standing in on a movie that was particularly difficult for multiple reasons. Lots of on-location shooting, harsh weather, 'difficult' cast and crew members, really long hours...
                IOW, the norm!
                Anyway, one of the Production Assistants has a total meltdown one afternoon.[...]
                It's always amazed me that this type of thing doesn't happen more often...long, long hours, deadline crunches, huge bucks riding on the outcome, majorly stressful conditions! The few times I've been a witness to this type of behavior it's always involved the director; once, a producer!
                Originally posted by jdub View Post
                Wow. You all are amazing.
                No, Jamie. You are.
                [...]I am again staggered by the compassion and unequivocal support I receive from my friends here. It is immeasurably comforting.[...]
                You make it easy. You share the blips on your life's radar screen with ease, pour out your heart without whining, ask for what you need and then express your gratitude. Great parenting if you ask me! Please convey that to your dad! Your mom is definitely watching over you.
                I've still got steady paid gigs with my music and writing,[...]I'm going to be able to spend a little more time with the family and focus on writing.[...]
                Hmmm...methinks you're gonna do just fine!

Oh, and you use big words that I have to look up in the dictionary!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  If you're an IT guy for a company, you probably have a backdoor to access your company's servers remotely. Most companies know that and will inform you that if there is any tampering of data, you will go to jail.
                  My experience has been that usually what they do is tell the new or remaining IT guy to change all the passwords.

But then I've worked with companies that have good employees to look after their system. That threat sounds like something I'd expect to hear from a company that just let go the only IT person who knew what is going on. In other words the remaining staff was too clueless to secure things.

My plan is to hand them a list of IDs and tell them "you'll need to change this". Because when things go wrong (and they will - Murphy's Law) it's just too easy to blame me. And I want to take away that ability.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    ...you did the right thing by acting with honor, and the smart thing by not burning your bridges. Like others have said, it'll be a rough road for a while, but we all have faith in you and know you'll land on your feet....
                    Excellent advice! Hope you gave that same pep talk to that condo association resident manager (you know the one!) whose lengthy criminal record and history of threats and intimidation finally caught up with him.

Like Chinky Mahoe, he knows a lot about "no contest" and "deferred acceptance of guilt" and lengthy probation in lieu of jail time, but, sadly, hasn't been able to walk away from the gas and matches--or blaming others!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      So leave with a smile and a handshake, then go home and kick the dog!
                      Awhhh - poor dog........

Comment

I've still got steady paid gigs with my music and writing,
                        ...and a frickin' Hoku nomination now, pal! Congratulations once again.

Comment

Very cool!

http://mauicast.net/nahenahe/?page_id=2727

Rock Album of the Year
                          Best performance of music in a rock style

* IRISHMAN IN PARADISE, Doolin’ Rakes
                          * MAKE WAY FOR PROGRESS, The Golf Cart Rebellion (Hawaiian Express)
                          * MAXIMUM STOMPERS, Max Murdoch & the Northern Soul Project (Pass Out)
                          * TAKE A CHANCE AND LET THE MUSIC PLAY, 82Fifty (Lab Munkeez)
                          * WHERE YOU ARE, Koa (Firestarter)

Comment

Yeah, I must admit that the nomination is a bit reassuring following my recent employment debacle. Light at the end of the tunnel!! Thanks for the support, yall!!
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

Thanks for the support, y'all!!
                              Gee, that sounds like you've been studying the Britney Spears school of elocution!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Gee, that sounds like you've been studying the Britney Spears school of elocution!
                                Ha! I reckon it does, LN!! I occasionally lapse into a counterfeit ghetto cowboy drawl. I kept it off of the album, though!!
                                Don't be mean,
                                try to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X