X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This or That?

Originally posted by scrivener
    shaddap and answer da questions!

LMFAO Okay no acronyms here: Lauging My F@king Ass Off!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Because I'm tired of talking politics and war, and with apologies to the old "this or that?" meme, here's a This or That? for Hawaii living.
      1. Perry or Price? both because they bargain their contracts together, they die together that's their pledge as a broadcast team.
      2. Spam or Tulip? Spam, Tulip seems to be missing something.
      3. Leeward or Windward?Depends on what you mean by Leeward, as in the Waianae coast or basically the urban section of Honolulu?
      4. Aloha or Hawaiian? Used to be Aloha now it's Hawaiian because I can buy into their premier club and get pre-boarding. Aloha now makes you qualify to get that perk.
      5. Star-Bulletin or Advertiser Erika Engle...you're a great person and you know I respect you, but you gotta tell SB to reconsider home delivery to the Big Island...so...I have to choose Advertiser.
      6. Hilo Macaroni or Diamond Bakery? Diamond Bakery
      7. Costco or Sam's Club? Costco
      8. Mid-Week or The Honolulu Weekly Midweek, my good friend Linda Delacruz writes for them.
      9. Shave ice with azuki or shave ice with ice cream? Ice cream
      10. Foremost or Meadow Gold? Meadow Gold. They sponser AYSO
      11. Let's Go Fishing or Fishing Tales? Fishing Tales. It ain't Let's Go Fishing anymore without Bruce Carter and Harry Kojima: Hey Bruce wanna try my fresh sashimi...da buggah still wiggling! Sure Harry, yum yum it tastes great!" Off camera watch Bruce's face turn purple as he gags.
      12. Honolulu Academy of Arts or Contemporary Museum? Honolulu Academy of Arts
      13. Kapahulu Avenue or Waialae Avenue? Kapahulu Avenue, flat land walking, no hill to climb.
      14. Airport Viaduct or Red Hill? Airport Viaduct, at least you can see the Whaling Wall while stuck in the morning rush.
      15. Grace's or L&L? L&L, Grace's chicken katsu is too oily
      16. C&K or Kalapana? Kalapana, Mackey Feary is a legend, C&K hold annual reunion concerts whenever they run out of Kala.
      17. Kualoa or Malaekahana? Malaekahana, it doesn't smell like horse shit (literally)
      18. Ellen Masaki or Ernest Chang? Hah?
      19. Exit Waikiki via Kapahulu or Exit Waikiki via Ala Wai? Kapahulu because you can take the commerce route thru Kapahulu or take the scenic route past the Makai side of Diamond Head to get to East Oahu.
      20. Andy Bumatai or Rap Rapleinger? Rap Replinger. I said Hi to Rap he gave me the high fives. I said Hi to Andy and he looked at me as if I was not worthy to shake his hand.
      21. Japanese television or Korean television? Japanese, I don't understand Korean.
      22. Hilo or Kona? Oh that's a tough one but since Waimea is closer to Kona, I pick Kona.
      23. Patti's or Panda? Panda's!!! Their orange chicken is sweeter.
      24. Ala Moana Shopping Center or Victoria Ward Centers? Ala Moana, try park at any of Victoria's parking lots on a friday night.
      25. Ala Moana Park or Kapiolani Park? Ala Moana park better eye candy there.
      26. Sanrio or Morning Glory? Sanrio, I still have a frequent buyer card from 20 years ago when I took my ex girlfriend's younger sister there and spent about a hundred dollars in pink plastic female junk just so I could look good in my girlfriend's eyes. Lost that girl, but I still got that frequent buyer card...only two more stamps to go!
      27. Don Ho or Danny Kaleikini? Danny of course! I love that: Aloooooha!
      28. Society of Seven or Fabulous Krush? SOS. Their act is always entertaining. Where's the Fab Krush without Carol Kai?
      29. 50th State Fair or State Farm Fair? State Farm Fair. Less attitude there
      30. Plumeria or Hibiscus? Plumeria, less ants sweeter smell, can make leis out of it. Looks good on Jasmine.
      Okay don't put your answers inside the quote when replying. So this statement is to meet the requirements of having the minimum characters necessary to post a reply.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
        Forgot the following:

WalMart or KMart?
        WalMart. I can see it from my school.

BTW, we'll have one less kmart because of the "Sears buyout".
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
          "We no more Target over here."

We no more Foremost, either.
          Another familiar local brand/store/restaurant/whatevah RIP...

When I come back home I probably won't recognize anything!

Except the 'aina

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            We no more Target over here.
            Too bad, they only recently opened a store in NYC and it's very popular. Better quality, more stylish designs and the price is right. Can't imagine a Sprawl-Mart here but we do have several K-Marts, even one in Penn Station. Also a Home Depot just opened in Chelsea.

Comment

Yeah, I wonder why Target hasn't made any inroads in Hawai'i yet? They have much higher quality goods and their prices are reasonable, too. I'd prefer to shop at Target than at WM or KM any day.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Target, Shmarget. What I really want is a Trader Joe's.

Comment

Thanks, Scrivener, for the fun thread... and thanks to Craig for the formatting I've nicked.
                  • Perry or Price?
                    Perry, though I'm not a big fan, anyway. I'm sure Price is a nice guy, and his radio missteps - intentional or not - endear him to many, but Perry is articulate and consistent. I just wish both of 'em would steer clear of politics. There are plenty of other stations for that stuff, guys.
                  • Spam or Tulip?
                    Spam, with the traditionalist vote. But I have tried Tulip, and I like it. I admit, I already buy either... whichever is nearest at hand or cheaper.
                  • Leeward or Windward?
                    Leeward in upbringing (Aiea), Windward in spirit.
                  • Aloha or Hawaiian?
                    Hawaiian, despite the money problems. Might just be the newer jets. In fact, these days, price beats brand loyalty.
                  • Star-Bulletin or Advertiser
                    Star-Bulletin, though I really wish they'd redo their website. It kicked ass in 1997, but... it ain't 1997 anymore.
                  • Hilo Macaroni or Diamond Bakery?
                    Diamond Bakery, 'cause I remember pigging out on their Royal Creem crackers, and my grandmother lived on Saloon Pilot crackers.
                  • Costco or Sam's Club?
                    Costco, though I've never actively shopped in a Sam's Club. I suppose politically, I'm more of a "Costco guy" anyway.
                  • Mid-Week or The Honolulu Weekly
                    Weekly, though I wouldn't compare the two. Mid-Week is a "shopper," piles of syndicated stuff and columns to accompany the supermarket coupons. It's sad, pathetic competition is the Island Weekly. I don't know if we have another animal like the Honolulu Weekly, and I don't know if we could support one anyway.
                  • Shave ice with azuki or shave ice with ice cream?
                    Can I choose neither? No? Okay, ice cream, then.
                  • Foremost or Meadow Gold?
                    Meadow Gold for nostalgia (those half-pint cartons in elementary school).
                  • Let's Go Fishing or Fishing Tales?
                    I don't watch either, but I guess Let's Go Fishing has the history.
                  • Honolulu Academy of Arts or Contemporary Museum?
                    I'm a member of TCM, but I still love the Honolulu Academy of Arts. Haven't been to either in a while, though.
                  • Kapahulu Avenue or Waialae Avenue?
                    When I was in high school, I was a Kapahulu lurker. Now I guess I'm too wannabe-yuppie for anything but Waialae.
                  • Airport Viaduct or Red Hill?
                    Airport Viaduct. Sure, Red Hill is prettier, but I think the viaduct is easier on my poor car!
                  • Grace's or L&L?
                    Gotta go with L&L. Ow, my arteries...
                  • C&K or Kalapana?
                    C&K.
                  • Kualoa or Malaekahana?
                    Ooh, tough one. I have fond camping memories at Malaekahana, and fond concert memories at Kualoa. I think I'll go with Malaekahana.
                  • Ellen Masaki or Ernest Chang?
                    I only know Ellen Masaki by name, but I don't know Ernest Chang at all. Hmm. And I used to think my family was fairly musical.
                  • Exit Waikiki via Kapahulu or Exit Waikiki via Ala Wai?
                    Good question. If I'm cruising, it's Kapahulu. If I just gotta get out, Ala Wai (to Kalakaua).
                  • Andy Bumatai or Rap Rapleinger?
                    Both! Aw, man. Well, I think Andy would understand if I pick Rap. "I like da crackah!"
                  • Japanese television or Korean television?
                    Korean TV seems to be the hot ticket, but I grew up watching (although not understanding) Japanese dramas.
                  • Hilo or Kona?
                    Hilo, no question. Were I only there now...
                  • Patti's or Panda?
                    Patti's, for no particular reason. Though I think that they go easier on the seasoning.
                  • Ala Moana Shopping Center or Victoria Ward Centers?
                    As long as Ward Warehouse is still standing, a tough call, but Ala Moana is my old stomping grounds, so for now I'll go with the grand dame.
                  • Ala Moana Park or Kapiolani Park?
                    Ala Moana. Grass is nice, the ocean is better. A clean ocean is another matter...
                  • Sanrio or Morning Glory?
                    Sanrio, I guess.
                  • Don Ho or Danny Kaleikini?
                    I've never seen Don Ho, so I don't think I can answer. I do like Danny Kaleikini, though, if more for his voice (speaking and singing) than his politics.
                  • Society of Seven or Fabulous Krush?
                    Haven't seen either. I guess I'm more familiar with the Seven, though.
                  • 50th State Fair or State Farm Fair?
                    Man, all the fairs run together in my mind. The Punahou Carnival is distinctive, I guess, but the rest? It's all E.K. Fernandez. I'll go with the 50th State Fair, though, 'cause I remember feeling bad for the animals at the Farm Fair when I was a kid.
                  • Plumeria or Hibiscus?
                    Plumeria. Could you guess?

Comment

I can't answer all the questions so I'll just comment that I'd like a Trader Joe's here...good products...even for pets! And Target is good too...I wonder why they run the Target ad here? And even an ad for Olive Garden (restaurant).
                    Retired Senior Member

Comment

When ever you see a national spot for a product/service that isn't available here in Hawaii, it's simply because during that program that's running on TV, networks offer what's called local commercial inventory meaning it gives the local broadcasters (KGMB, KHNL whatever) the opportunity to sell advertising time within the network breaks.

That means (let's take KGMB) has to pre-empt the national spot that is already embedded in the program's break and run a local spot (like Bank of Hawaii). If you see a spot like Olive Garden running here in Hawaii, chances are the sales department at KGMB didn't sell that particular spot in the break, or the automation computer program didn't fire the local spot and pre-empt the national spot.

If the latter happened (typical) then that local advertiser (Bank of Hawaii) is owed a "make good" by running that spot either another time (as allowed in the sales contract) or whatever the contract stipulates.

Sometimes a network will demand the spot run regardless of geographical location or limitations for other reasons. That's why you see AutoZone commercials on tv or on radio even though they don't do business here. It's more of a package deal for the broadcaster. In order to get things like certain sound effects packages or music beds or even entire programs you must include certain spots.

There are a multitude of reasons why you see commercials that don't apply here but the most blatant mistake is when a network program doesn't put in a national spot/psa because that spot is reserved for local commercial inventory and when that spot break comes up you see on your tv screen: "Insert Local" text running for 30 or 60-seconds. In radio a spotbreak reserved for local commercial inventory typically has a PSA running or the program's music bed.

When watching the David Letterman show, you notice the return to program always enters with the band just ending a set. Well when the national commercial inventory ends, CBS allows for maybe a :60-second local inventory spot where KGMB can run that Bank Of Hawaii commercial.

If the automation software at KGMB's studios didn't pick up the cue to run local for :60-seconds, national programming continues and you see an extended music set by Paul Schaffer and TV viewers get an unexpected treat.

Or if you ever wondered why the return music set from Paul Schaffer seemed to run a bit longer before returning to Letterman's monolog it's because instead of running a :60-second local ad, KGMB ran a :30-second ad and returned to national programming :30-seconds early giving you a half minute of Paul Schaffer's band instead of :10-seconds as usual.

Typically local commercial inventory follows national so you always seem to see local spots just before returning to the program. That should give you a hint that if you gotta go and a local spot is running you have about a minute to do your thing before David Letterman's top-ten list!
                      Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 28, 2004, 09:39 AM.

Comment

One of the problems some of the national spots may have when aired in lieu of the local insert is that a firm (let's say Jack in the Box) advertises a burger special with a 99 cent price, but that price does not apply to Hawaii franchises. Consumers get angry when they go to the window, order their 99 cent burger and find out its $1.29.

The problem has not manifested itself recently but has occurred in the past.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

That's when the TV station goofed big time when they run a national ad that was limited for a certain geographical area.

When this kind of mistake happens, networks get really pissed off at the local affilliate. The affidavits must reflect this mistake because if a producer (the guy at the tv-station's console) didn't note the error and the TV mole's (the guy the networks pay to monitor ad placement) affidavits don't match up, heads will roll at the tv station that made the mistake.

These affidavits are important because it tells the advertiser or the marketing company that is paying the network for running their ads that they did in fact run at a certain time in a certain geographic region. If that ad ran outside the marketing campaign's boundries, now you're talking possible FCC violations.

If the marketing company get's slapped with a large FCC fine for marketing outside their contract regions, the marketing company could in turn sue the network. The network could then penalize the local affillate (such as KGMB) for falsefying their broadcast affidavits and could possibly lose their affilate association with that network as a settlement with the marketing company or even the FCC.

What seems as an innocent mistake on the air can steam roll into a very major setback for a network or it's affilliates. Affidavits are critical to the trustworthiness of a station whether it be radio or tv. And when you sign off on an affidavit, it's your neck on the chopping block because it's your signature that is verifying the accuracy of your station's program logs.

You wonder why KGU lost Rush Limbaugh. Premiere Network pays people in all 50-states and territories to listen to all of their national programs. They are given the same affidavits the radio station receives allowing the stations to insert local commercial inventory at a very specific time such as: Show #56 dated 10/28/04, hour 1 slated to run at 10:05am, second spot break at :12-minutes after the hour, second spot after Sears National-Fall clearance ad.

That mole will be listening for that Sears ad and right after it, they should hear either a local ad or filler ads by the network in the event the radio station didn't sell that particular spot time. But if that mole hears a local ad where the Sears national ad was supposed to run, that mole records that mistake and sends in their affidavit. When the network receives the radio station's version of the same affidavit and sees the discrepancy, that's when heads roll and the PD is dragged into a meeting with the GM and the GSM.

Comment

Price
                            Spam
                            Leeward
                            Hawaiian
                            Star-Bulletin
                            Diamond Bakery
                            Costco
                            Mid-Week
                            Shave ice with ice cream
                            Meadow Gold
                            Let's Go Fishing
                            Honolulu Academy of Arts
                            Kapahulu Avenue
                            Red Hill
                            L&L
                            C&K
                            Malaekahana
                            Ernest Chang
                            Exit Waikiki via Kapahulu
                            Rap Rapleinger
                            Korean television
                            Kona
                            Panda
                            Ala Moana Shopping Center
                            Kapiolani Park
                            Sanrio
                            Don Ho
                            Society of Seven
                            State Farm Fair
                            Plumeria
                            Last edited by Nohealani; November 9, 2004, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Because I'm tired of talking politics and war, and with apologies to the old "this or that?" meme, here's a This or That? for Hawaii living.
                              1. Perry or Price?
                              2. Spam or Tulip?
                              3. Leeward or Windward?
                              4. Aloha or Hawaiian?
                              5. Star-Bulletin or Advertiser
                              6. Hilo Macaroni or Diamond Bakery?
                              7. Costco or Sam's Club?
                              8. Mid-Week or The Honolulu Weekly
                              9. Shave ice with azuki or shave ice with ice cream?
                              10. Foremost or Meadow Gold?
                              11. Let's Go Fishing or Fishing Tales?
                              12. Honolulu Academy of Arts or Contemporary Museum?
                              13. Kapahulu Avenue or Waialae Avenue?
                              14. Airport Viaduct or Red Hill?
                              15. Grace's or L&L?
                              16. C&K or Kalapana?
                              17. Kualoa or Malaekahana?
                              18. Ellen Masaki or Ernest Chang?
                              19. Exit Waikiki via Kapahulu or Exit Waikiki via Ala Wai?
                              20. Andy Bumatai or Rap Rapleinger?
                              21. Japanese television or Korean television?
                              22. Hilo or Kona?
                              23. Patti's or Panda?
                              24. Ala Moana Shopping Center or Victoria Ward Centers?
                              25. Ala Moana Park or Kapiolani Park?
                              26. Sanrio or Morning Glory?
                              27. Don Ho or Danny Kaleikini?
                              28. Society of Seven or Fabulous Krush?
                              29. 50th State Fair or State Farm Fair?
                              30. Plumeria or Hibiscus?
                              Well, here are my choices...

Perry.... 'cause, he's cute.
                              Tulip..... I hate spam.
                              Widward..Sounds closer to me.
                              "Aloha"....'cause I like to say it all the time
                              Advertiser..the startbulletins never came on time or non at all.
                              Diamond Head Baker.....any day!.
                              Costco.....Is the place for me!.
                              Midweek...'cause we get delivered for free
                              Shave ice with ice cream...any day!.
                              Meadow Gold.
                              Let's Go Fishing...I like the show.
                              H.A.C. ...... Awsome place!.
                              Waialea Ave. ...Closer to home.
                              Airprt viaduct.
                              Grace's....Got tired of L&L, ate there food there way too long.
                              Kalapana.
                              Ernest Chang......Any relation to Jimmy Chang???
                              Via Kapahulu...any day!. Who wants to see the Alawai?!.
                              Andy Bumatai...Now he is Funn~ny!.
                              Japn.T.V. ...Anyday!.
                              Kona.....Is that where I can get some good coffee?. LOL.
                              Patti's....Don't like Panda,unless I have to go there!.
                              Ward center.....Alamona doesn't have any theaters!.
                              A.M. Park. Closr to home, plus same initials as my first & middle name.
                              Sanrio..... Any day!.
                              Danny kaleikini.
                              S.O.S. band......Any day. I like the original guys. Verry funny group!.
                              50th state fair.....bigger area!.
                              Hibiscus.....Why even ask? it is much prettier!.

And that is my two cents!.

Aloha.
                              Aches & Pains
                              (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

• Price. How does he keep his job speaking like that? Must be he is good.
                                • Spam.
                                • Leeward.
                                • Hawaiian. They still get first class. Even though I cannot afford, it gives me something to shoot for.
                                • Advertiser. (SB small kid time)
                                • Hilo! The Royal Creems broke the mouth.
                                • Costco (get more of 'em)
                                • Mid-Week. More fun to read. (Weekly has more important stuff to read but.)
                                • Shave ice with ice cream.
                                • Foremost. (The new lani moo is creepy.)
                                • Let's Go Fishing.
                                • Contemporary Museum.
                                • Waialae Avenue. Better restaurants, better parking, better view.
                                • Airport Viaduct.
                                • Grace's. (Chow fun. End of discussion.)
                                • Tie. But if gotta pick, then C&K.
                                • Malaekahana. Only cuz I wen step in dog doodoo at Kualoa when I was one kid.
                                • Ernest Chang. Is that Timmy's faddah?
                                • Nighttime exit via Kapahulu. Daytime exit via Ala Wai.
                                • Tie. But Rap Rapleinger gets tie breaker cuz I got his record first.
                                • Japanese television
                                • Kona
                                • Panda Express. (Because they are everywhere. So I can get used to to the taste.)
                                • Victoria Ward Centers. (Until Ala Mo's gets one theater.)
                                • Ala Moana Park (No mo Maui legislators making hanakokolele in the toilet.)
                                • Sanrio
                                • Don Ho (Because he still alive. Right?)
                                • Fabulous Krush. (Regrets? How about leaving the Krush to go solo? You think Bobby regrets that?)
                                • State Farm Fair. (It's the 50th State Fair with animals.)
                                • Hibiscus. (I was afraid of da Plumeria "milk". Somebody told me I could die if I touched it.)

Comment

Working...
                                X