Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me protect my girls' self esteem

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    Fluid, in English, more so, I'm sure, to hear in Hawaiian. I'm glad I whined! That was quite uplifting for me. I have a father-in-law who is a linguistics professor (retired) at UH, concentrated mostly on Oceania-based languages, and co-wrote a Micronesian dictionary. I am given toward appreciation of the Pacific languages as a result. Mahalo, Pua'i!
    What this means to me is to gain another ally in the long-term goal of Hawaiian being used comfortably around everyone throughout Hawaiʻi. If this exchange makes you feel more comfortable asking and head-wrapping, then I yell "bonus!"

pax

Comment

I really gotta get back to work, but, I have this distinct desire to give some atta girls to Pua'i!!

OK, back to osteoporosis documentation I go!
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

chīhū! Check us! Esteem building in action!
        ::::high fives

pax

Comment

as we all have learned, there are several hters whom are survivors of domestic violence/abuse. some are still working through the complexities of their situations while some have made the difficult decision to move on with their lives without their "loved" ones by their sides. how one is molded; how one is confident or has self esteem stems from our ubringing/parents. this we have learned, too, from the children who have replied to this thread. while some of you have voiced that you can truly love your children equally, you have heard from children whose stories are neither unique nor rare but rather common. we are victims of domestic violence/abuse and have lived to tell our stories (says thank you GOD) while others have not been so "fortunate."

that being said, here's the literal translation to my direct reply to pua'i mana'o:

there in the high country 'ohi'a fruits ripen from the kanilehua rain
          red lehua throughout the forest
          maunaloa appears in all her majesty with the breeze of the kehau
          "my heart and my love reach out for the brightness and
          here in the warmth of the great wide world amid the splendor and the lush beauty"
          a blossom that won't be wilted by the sun and the red lehua stands in the wind.

some are born with inner strength; some have to learn it.
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

That. Was. Beautiful.
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

now i want to hug everybody in here!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HT))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

my heart and my love reach out for the brightness
                and here in the warmth of the great wide world amid the splendor and the lush beauty
                a blossom that won't be wilted by the sun and the red lehua stands in the wind.
                Such beautiful poetry, even though it sometimes sounds like a botany exam

Thanks, kani-lehua and pua'i mana'o, for taking the time to translate it for us!
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

oh, oh! forgive me. i did not mean to mislead anyone. i did not write the first two lines that were quoted by myopicjoe. my original post #33 and the translation post #49 included quotation marks which have been omitted. i would like to give credit where credit is due, but i cannot remember the original writer's name. hence, the reason for not mentioning the person in the beginning. the rest is mine. apologies.

lesson #2:

"now i want to hug everybody in here!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HT))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))

have you hugged your child or SO today?
                  Last edited by kani-lehua; June 5, 2008, 02:49 PM.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                    included quotation marks which have been omitted
                    ahhhh so. yeah I got confused as to why the quotation marks were there, so I deleted them. heh heh. my bad

still. beautiful poetry and thanks for bringing it to our attention
                    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                    "
                    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                    X