Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Googling Yourself

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    Hey, that's NOT googling yourself! That's not my name, but with the information provided, it is possible to figure it out. If you do, I owe you a drink.
    So you're saying you could be a question for Scrivner's trivia game?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post
      [...]
      As to the ex-google - a few months ago I had a dream about a former gf. Someone I haven't seen in litterally 20 years. On a whim I googled her - and learned she died in a car crash the night before. True story.
      Both sad and eerie about you FGF, Bob; the eerie part being the timing of your search.

I received an email just last week from a long, lost friend whom I haven't seen or heard from in at least 20 years. She mentioned she had a dream the night before about my dad and me at a beach we all used to hang out at 30-40 years ago. She had no idea why, after all these years, she had that dream so she googled my dad's name and found the memorial web page I set up for him. On that page is my email addy!

I love it when that happens and it's just one of several.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        Originally posted by zff View Post
        Ok, this is interesting. There's a guy out there with the same name as me who has a very similar job, the same hobbies and the same interests. What are the odds of that?
        That was sooo funny!
        Thanks
        Huh? Funny? I didn't mean it as a joke.

Seriously, there's a guy on the mainland with my first and last name who has a very similar job and has the same hobbies and interests. It's uncanny.

Comment

My name appears in a few court documents, which really pisses me off.

I knew a girl at UH who went through some domestic issues with a male in her dorm. She falsely accused him of sexually assaulting her and falsely used my name in her statement. I was nowhere near her when this "incident" took place. I remember it happening and that several of my friends were involved, but I myself wasn't, and I let the PI (hired by the defendant) know that.

The case ended up getting thrown out of court because turns out, she lied about it all. Still, I hate having my first and last name associated with all that drama. Hate it hate it hate it.
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

My name is on the NASA Stardust Comet Spacecraft, along with another 1,136,999 other names to travel the universe forever.

I didn't know that.

Wow.

(That impresses me so much I'm not looking for anything else. I will be waiting on the beach for the spacecraft that I know will come looking for me.)

Comment

Whew - finally got up the nerve to google myself. Not much there, just work related stuff. There was 2 pages of that though. That surprised me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                My name appears in a few court documents, which really pisses me off.

I knew a girl at UH who went through some domestic issues with a male in her dorm. She falsely accused him of sexually assaulting her and falsely used my name in her statement. I was nowhere near her when this "incident" took place. I remember it happening and that several of my friends were involved, but I myself wasn't, and I let the PI (hired by the defendant) know that.

The case ended up getting thrown out of court because turns out, she lied about it all. Still, I hate having my first and last name associated with all that drama. Hate it hate it hate it.
                Wow that really sucks! I feel you on the dorm dramas. Had a few of my own. I hope the “accuser” made it up to you somehow. Based on the bizarre scenario you’ve laid out, it’s not like she could argue you that she made an honest mistake. Was she mentally ill? I knew at least two dorm residents who tried to jump of the balcony.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

i have googled my wife, father, son and myself. my sister-in-law found my wife but i never did. since the three of us have the same name the closest i found with that name is related to civil war era names, none of us.
                  recently the three of us were sent a letter from a police department in another state looking for a man with our same name. he is wanted for various things. none of us have ever been in that state and was wondering what was up.
                  my dad went to our local police station and asked what the heck was this crap about. apparently the guy was seen in this state. what happened was that the police in that state googled the name and sent out a letter to everyone with my same name and to turn ourselves in.
                  we were told that we could be arrested if our name came back wanted. now i am a jr. and my son is the third, but that doesn't matter. my dad is tweaking the most, his name is exactly the same as the wanted man
                  this really is a load of bull dung, SOOOO, this is what the police are now using in their efforts to catch criminals and innocent people can get caught in the cross fire. and like always the innocent have to pay to prove they are in fact the innocent party. nothing new there i guess.
                  now just for the heck of it i looked in the phone book and found that there is 7 people with my name that live in a 1.4 mile radius from my house, i'm not listed. i wonder how many of them got the same letter. or maybe one of them is the bad guy.
                  Last edited by jmythng; July 7, 2008, 06:32 AM.
                  from the womb to the tomb
                  gamer for life

Comment

Funny to find this thread today, I just read a newsletter suggesting job seekers to do the same. Just in case your potential employers are doing the same thing.

Having a relatively common name (and it's not Bob Harris, surprise surprise), it was interesting to find how little of a web presence the real me has (thankfully), and how industrious my shared name amigos have been. I found a judge, a race car driver, several Brits of various walks, writers, a radio host, cricket players, various doctors, guitarists, violinists, and others. Funny thing is that, unlike some of the others to post here, I didn't find anyone remotely like me in any of my life's incarnations. I don't think I've even met someone with my name.

Has anyone tried Googling their phone number? That can be frightening to see how much info comes up and where it shows up.

Comment

haha, I get a picture of my dad, or I get a news article about some guy who burglarized a whole bunch of kona homes
                      www.davidcarvalhowasright.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                        I'm veering a little off topic but when discussing self-googling with friends, googling former boyfriends/girlfriends/spouses arose. A lot of my friends have apparently googled not just themselves but former love interests in their lives, just to see what these people have been up to (even if they have no intention of trying to get back together with these people).
                        i tell my single friends not only to google potential dates, but to check for them on myspace/friendster etc. and i also tell them to check the state's online court files, which you can access here. that way, you know before showing up that the guy who's about to buy you drinks is twice divorced and has had two TROs filed against him, or that the girl whose car you're about to get into was arrested for check forgery and has a history of DUI, for which she went to jail and had her license revoked for the next two years.

back on topic, when eric and i google ourselves by our legal names, we find only work-related stuff, which is exactly how we like it.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Shoots, I'll byte. (bite)

Yeah, I tried to google myself, (just for fun, now & then) it just leads me to the reunion site, that's it. Other than that, I can't find myself at all. I guess that's a good thing. Atleast no one can track me down. I think, I am not mistaken, in Zaba search, if I was in it, it has a wrong address & wrong phone number listed on it, even with several different last names from my family side & from my father's last name, etc.

I even tried to look myself up in Zaba search, nothing at all. Which is weird (still good), because I looked up my mom, & I found her, & she didn't even want to be in it.

How can one person delete themselves off of the site without having to pay any cost?
                          Aches & Pains
                          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                            i tell my single friends not only to google potential dates, but to check for them on myspace/friendster etc. /snip
                            Ah, sad to say I know someone who is currently in a different state from her boyfriend (for college) and she was lonely for him so she googled him and found his MySpace in which he posted pictures of himself with his girlfriend. Only it was not her. When confronted, he admitted he was cheating on her but was also all indignant her "invading his privacy" by googling him (even though he was idiot enough to post that stuff on the internet, under his own name, and didn't even bother to try to restrict access).

Comment

I have myself on Google Alerts, as that's the best way of discovering if newspaper stories I write are picked up elsewhere.

I ordered a print from an artist on the Mainland yesterday, and he wrote back to say he had looked me up on Google, as he's curious about his customers. So I just Googled myself.

Top hit is a story about Eddie Aikau ten years ago. Then a blank page (!!!) on one of my web sites. Then two pieces of art I did for a modelling web site. Then an Amazon page on a book I wrote. Then generic ZoomInfo and Topix compilations, followed by a goofy model article, and finally, the first page ends with, of all things, a MidWeek picture of me and others in tuxedoes at a Pearl Harbor anniversary event!
                              Last edited by buzz1941; July 10, 2008, 09:32 AM.
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                                Ah, sad to say I know someone who is currently in a different state from her boyfriend (for college) and she was lonely for him so she googled him and found his MySpace in which he posted pictures of himself with his girlfriend. Only it was not her. When confronted, he admitted he was cheating on her but was also all indignant her "invading his privacy" by googling him (even though he was idiot enough to post that stuff on the internet, under his own name, and didn't even bother to try to restrict access).
                                CLASSIC & COWARDLY. It is so much easier to break up when you post a photo of yourself with a new signficant other knowing full well that anyone, everyone, and someone is going to google you.
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X