Any amateur filmakers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any amateur filmakers out there?

Just wanted to connect with other amateur film or video makers out there.
    I started on this journey about two years ago and just completed my first full lenght hour long documentary about my father inlaw who lives a sustainable life in the ways of the past plantation days of the Hamakua Coast on the Big Island.

Prior to this project , I did a 56 minute video called Journey to Keiki Hula. As it was my first, it was sort of horrendous, my white balance was off on many scenes and my composition was very amateurish.

I am also doing a childrens TV show here in Hilo similar to Kikaida.

Anyone out there please join in and lets talk shop!

Aloha Hilo Artist

Re: Any amateur filmakers out there?

just completed my first full lenght hour long documentary
    Nice! How many hours of hard work went into making that one hour of video, would you guess?

Glad you started this, Hilo Artist. I remember an old HT thread which mentioned a local Final Cut Pro users group. I wonder if they're still kickin' around.

I'm an amateur. Home video stuff of the girls' performances. Authored my first DVD recently. It was a frustrating process until I figured out a decent workflow.

I'll give a quick blurb, since it's getting late:

camcorder: Sony DCR-HC96 (consumer grade)
    filters: none
    tripod: quick release mounting plate, light, cheap (doesn't pan smoothly)
    mic: built-in (I know, the shame)

iMovie: data capture, deciding which footage to keep, rough editing
    Final Cut Express: further editing, filters, chapter markers
    iDVD: creating DVD menus and burning

misc:
    some cheap Memorex software / DVD labels (paper)
    whatever bargin DVD-R media I have on hand which transform into drink coasters 2 years after being burned
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
      So glad to see HT members practicing the trade! Just a quick note: I’m sure you are aware what you did is not considered “filmmaking.” While many new Hollywood producers are turning to HD, a video format, filmmaking is still a term reserved for crews that actually shoot on film. Preferably, 35mm.

I myself, only shoot on video. A bit more advanced in the equipment, though, using a Sony PD-150 semi-professional camcorder (which comes with an external XLR shotgun mic), although I’m still saving up for a decent everything else (tripod, headphones, handheld mic, lavalier mic, light kit, etc.)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        I’m sure you are aware what you did is not considered “filmmaking.”
        Haha, yeah. Even if I did use real film, I wouldn't consider myself a filmmaker. There's so much behind the scenes work and planning that goes into it. Naw; I just dabble. I just record events, for fun.

I have a friend who went to film school. She hates video and she hates digital photography. I agree digital doesn't have the same qualities as film, but I love how digital technology has made these fields more accessible.

When South Park came out, professional animators would turn their noses up at it, because "that's not animation!" True, but the cartoons are still great. In their particular case, the animation isn't the most important thing, it's the writing. Conversely, a Hayao Miyazaki film wouldn't be as great if it was done in Flash.

using a Sony PD-150 semi-professional camcorder
        Oh, sweet!

My fantasy camcorder is the PD-170. I'd love to have its low-light capabilities, since most of the girls' performances are at night or indoors. I just can't justify the $3K price tag (not to mention all the accessories), for something I would use only 4 times a year.

I’m still saving up for a decent everything else (tripod, headphones, handheld mic, lavalier mic, light kit, etc.)
        So what do you think you'll grab first? Which models are you eying out?

I read some internet advice on tripods, which said to buy photography legs and a camcorder head. *shrug*
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "

Comment

Nice! How many hours of hard work went into making that one hour of video, would you guess?

Glad you started this, Hilo Artist. I remember an old HT thread which mentioned a local Final Cut Pro users group. I wonder if they're still kickin' around.

I'm an amateur. Home video stuff of the girls' performances. Authored my first DVD recently. It was a frustrating process until I figured out a decent workflow.

I'll give a quick blurb, since it's getting late:

iMovie: data capture, deciding which footage to keep, rough editing
          Final Cut Express: further editing, filters, chapter markers
          iDVD: creating DVD menus and burning

misc:
          some cheap Memorex software / DVD labels (paper)
          whatever bargin DVD-R media I have on hand which transform into drink coasters 2 years after being burned
          Myopicjoe!
          Thanks for your reply!

As for the one hour piece I recently completed, One year of filming!
          I have to leave for a soccer game , I will catch up with you when I return!
          Aloha
          Layne

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            So glad to see HT members practicing the trade! Just a quick note: I’m sure you are aware what you did is not considered “filmmaking.” While many new Hollywood producers are turning to HD, a video format, filmmaking is still a term reserved for crews that actually shoot on film. Preferably, 35mm. [...]
            True, but the term "filmmaking" has become a bit obscured by new technology. I'm from the old film=filmmaking school too but I've noticed, in discussions with clients, that's not necessarily the case anymore.

Layne, at this point, you might benefit for the Yahoo! group, hawaii-filmmakers. Most don't shoot on film because it's too expensive.

Tunnl, do you peruse that group?

Comment

The argument of video vs film is gradually (and gratefully) becoming a moot point.

The line separating video and film is becoming increasingly vague as acquisition and post-production processes evolve toward digital technology. And a growing number of directors are adopting the changes.

For example, all visual effects are now done by digitizing film and working within the digital domain. And steps such as color correction and grading are done via a "digital intermediate" in which the digitized film is finished with computers, and not through mechanical or chemical processes.

Even editing is being done digitally on non-linear systems in a greater number of cases.

And cameras from companies such as Red, Panavision and Sony are capturing action digitally from the very start. These aren't considered video cameras but digital film cameras. Cameras like the Sony EX1 and Panasonic HVX use similar technologies to these higher-end cameras, so they're less about video and more about digital film.

Video cameras are starting to go tapeless. The images are now captured as individual frames onto hard drives or high-capacity memory cards, and not as an interlaced signal tape. And the action is recorded as digital data instead of an electrical or magnetic signal. The imagers are far more sensitive to a much wider brightness range. And now the results with some of these cameras are much more like film and a lot less like video.

Finally, some theatres are converting to digital projection. No film. When it's all done right, the results can be truly outstanding.
              Last edited by Composite 2992; August 16, 2008, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I should have titled it video makers! But with video cameras now shooting 24 frames per second it is so very close to the image of 35mm film now. As was mentioned in the post by

Composite 2992
                Yes, The EX 1 and the HVX 200 both shoot in 24 frame mode and I believe both are tapeless.

The HVX 200 uses a P2 card and is said to equal the shooting qualities of the Varicam and Cine Alta which has a price tage 100 K. the HVX 200 retails around $5 grand which is a bargain for the the outstanding qualities it has.

I am sure heading that route of the HVX 200 but in the mean time I have to beef up my system to handle all of the HD memory space needed and a super video card as well.

At this point I am shooting with a Panasonic AG DVC 60 , Panasonic PVGS 320 which consumer, and an Ag DVX 100b which has an option to shoot 24 frame and has a slight film like appearance.

My DVC 60 has a Film simulation mode and is not a true 24 frame mode. it has a pretty cool look but is nowhere near the quality of real 35 mm.

I am still running on PC, everyone around me has a Mac and I will be soon changing over as well. I am running 4 gbs of ram and a pretty decent video card.

My editing programs are Pinncale, Sony Vegas, and Adobe Premier Pro. I used Final Cut Pro on a Mac format and loved it's smoothness and outstanding features. I am definitly cutting on Final Cut Pro soon!

I also use a Rode NTG 2 shot gun mic for all of my work. It's a pretty cool mic and not to bad for a mic not running on Phantom power.There is a NTG 3 out which is a phantom powered one and I am headed that route as well.

For a tripod, I use a Bogen Manfrotto 3120. The pan head is not a true fluid head but does a nice job on panning. I am looking to switch over to the newer 3198 which has a true fluid head.

For my rough house filming at the beach and in the forrest, I use my simple PVGS 320 which has nice images in sunlight. This small camera is great for climbing down cliffs and fitting into the back pack.

Here are some footage I shot with the small PVGS 320
                http://www.dailymotion.com/luna_fine...-fishin_people
                Another one with the small gs 320
                http://www.dailymotion.com/luna_fine...hillary_people

This one was shot with my DVC 60 it has bigger CCD chips
                http://www.dailymotion.com/luna_fine...-luna_creation

The quality of the hosting sites are terribly pixeled..I need to learn a few tricks on how to get them looking better online.

Aloha
                Layne

Comment

Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
                  [...]
                  For my rough house filming at the beach and in the forrest, I use my simple PVGS 320 which has nice images in sunlight. This small camera is great for climbing down cliffs and fitting into the back pack.[...]
                  I use the older PV GS150 for my casting sessions and whatta great series of cameras these are. The 3 chip quality for the price is amazing. When I send it in for a yearly cleaning and have to use my back-up one chipper, I almost feel like I should give my clients a credit on my bill for lack of quality! These 3 chip, consumer grade camcorders are so affordable now I don't know why anyone would settle for anything less.

filters: nope! never owned any!
                  tripod: yep! what MJ said..."quick release mounting plate, light, cheap (doesn't pan smoothly)" but it's completely adequate for my needs.
                  mic: built-in condensor...used to have a Radio Shack lapel mic which worked great for my needs but it's not compatible with the 150.
                  iMovie HD - too much fun. It keeps me up half the night playing with it!

And, that's as techie as I can possibly get! I can't even pronounce some of the words in Composite's and Layne's discussion!

Comment

If you'll allow me a quick and relatively minor (but still related) thread drift:
                    Last weekend I took more photos on Kaneohe Bay, and one of the boats had a couple who were in their 70s and don't own a computer. When I saw them back on shore, they asked if they could get a copy of the negatives.
                    I had to explain digital to them.

See? Told you it was kinda related.
                    Carry on. Interesting thread.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      If you'll allow me a quick and relatively minor (but still related) thread drift:
                      Last weekend I took more photos on Kaneohe Bay, and one of the boats had a couple who were in their 70s and don't own a computer. When I saw them back on shore, they asked if they could get a copy of the negatives.
                      I had to explain digital to them.

See? Told you it was kinda related.
                      Carry on. Interesting thread.

Hillarious! Nice story and a sign of the times! we are fully digital age and I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        I use the older PV GS150 for my casting sessions and whatta great series of cameras these are. The 3 chip quality for the price is amazing. When I send it in for a yearly cleaning and have to use my back-up one chipper, I almost feel like I should give my clients a credit on my bill for lack of quality! These 3 chip, consumer grade camcorders are so affordable now I don't know why anyone would settle for anything less.

filters: nope! never owned any!
                        tripod: yep! what MJ said..."quick release mounting plate, light, cheap (doesn't pan smoothly)" but it's completely adequate for my needs.
                        mic: built-in condensor...used to have a Radio Shack lapel mic which worked great for my needs but it's not compatible with the 150.
                        iMovie HD - too much fun. It keeps me up half the night playing with it!

And, that's as techie as I can possibly get! I can't even pronounce some of the words in Composite's and Layne's discussion!
                        Tutusue

Your gs150 has a few great features that is not present on my newer model gs 320. I think one of them is the presence of a mic input that my camcorder doesnt have.

Keep that little 3 ccd 150! It's easy to use and produces a great image! If my memory serves me correct 530 lines per resolution aint to shabby and looks good on broadcast TV!

Aloha
                        Layne

Comment

Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
                          Tutusue

Your gs150 has a few great features that is not present on my newer model gs 320. I think one of them is the presence of a mic input that my camcorder doesnt have.

Keep that little 3 ccd 150! It's easy to use and produces a great image! If my memory serves me correct 530 lines per resolution aint to shabby and looks good on broadcast TV!

Aloha
                          Layne
                          Thanks, Layne. Fortunately, I don't need broadcast quality for my job. But, dang, those 3 ccds spoiled me and my clients! Yes, my 150 does have a mic input but I really don't need it as the zoom mic function is totally adequate. You're close...I believe the resolution is 540 lines!

Comment

TutuSue:

Thanks for pointing out that Yahoo group. I'm waiting for my join request to be accepted.

I'm glad you're happy with your Panasonic. I was seriously considering one, cuz of the sweet 3 CCDs and the optical image stabilization. I ended up getting my Sony because I found it for a good price. I also thought the single (but larger) CCD would help in low light situations.

Composite 2992:

Thanks for pointing out the Panasonic HVX. Look at this guy's tricked out HVX. I have a feeling he won't be running around after kids with that setup.

Hilo Artist:

Come join the dark side! Now that Macs are Intel based, at you can duel dual boot either Mac OS X or Windows, though I don't bother myself. My desktops have been PC and my laptops have been Mac.

I assume if you get a Mac, you'll buy a Mac Pro rather than an iMac. If you do go iMac, you might want to stay away from the 20" model, because they use a cheaper 6-bit LCD (it can't show millions of colors without quality reducing tricks...but maybe only people with really good eyes would notice?). It's the same LCD screen used in laptops, even the MacBookPro. The 24" iMAC uses a better quality LCD screen. I think that's why Apple Stores display more 24" models than 20" models.

Of course if you hook up a higher quality external monitor, then no big deal. Here's a LCD buyer's guide.

Nice videos. Yeah, the high compression used by hosting sites makes it hard to judge a camera's image quality. But considering your DVC 60 video seems to have better quality than the PVGS 320 one AND it was shot indoors, I think that's pretty impressive.

LikaNui:

Heh heh, cute story
                            "

Comment

TutuSue:

Thanks for pointing out that Yahoo group. I'm waiting for my join request to be accepted.

I'm glad you're happy with your Panasonic. I was seriously considering one, cuz of the sweet 3 CCDs and the optical image stabilization. I ended up getting my Sony because I found it for a good price. I also thought the single (but larger) CCD would help in low light situations.[...]
                              I'm a Sony loyalist...rather, I'm a Video Life loyalist...and was really disappointed when the Sony's that work best for my needs went to bottom load tapes. My camera is on a tripod 95% of the time and when it's time to change tapes, time is of the essence.

Still love Video Life, tho'. Their customer service is well worth any savings I might find online.

Comment

Working...
                              X