Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: People meeting others

Originally posted by kimo55
    use skype and you can call for free back and forth...
    Uhh, Kimo, how do I get skype? What is it? Also, I have to share something with everyone. While I was busy typing, MAMA opened one of her presents, the one from my son's fiance. I caught her in the act. It was so FUNNY! So, I opened mine from Nickki and it was a framed 8/10 pic of my son and me all dressed in our best for a dinner outing before he deployed to AFGANISTAN. From laughter to crying. MAMA was naughty! ME too!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      Uhh, Kimo, how do I get skype? What is it?

go to their web site. free internet telephone service. you of course, need a mic and speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        We are all insane!

Gotta be cuz look at the posting times on some of our posts! As a republican I said I was going to vote for Kerry, people told me I was crazy! So there you go I'm certified nuts
        CraigWatanabe NOT!

Kimo Mahalo. Glad it's Christmas Eve...going to Kapolei for singing,eating and opening presents. If anybody asks, I can tell um I need a mike. I already got speakers. Tomarrow, more eating, and festive time in Aiea at my brother Alvin's home! Then next month my birthday, two months after dat...my kids come home! HOOHA! It's an Army thingy.

Comment

CraigWatanabe NOT!

Kimo Mahalo.
          If anybody asks, I can tell um I need a mike.
          then you'll end up with a boyfriend.

go to thrift stores. see if they have an old mic lyin around. they are a dime a dozen.
          make sure the plug is what is needed and fits for your PC.

Comment

Getting back to the topic... great post, AbsolutChaos. There are actually a couple of Match.com-launched marriages in my circle of friends -- well, actually, online circle of friends -- so I'm absolutely a believer in the validity and potential of the Internet for creating meaningful relationships, whether they remain online or become "real."

Thanks also for the link to your Yahoo! Group! I love communities like that. There are other Yahoo! Groups for Hawaii (Hawaii, HawaiiAnswers, etc.) - and MeetUp has a relatively quiet New In Town group that I adopted - and they do attract folks thinking of relocating here or trying to make friends. But yours seems quite focused, active and friendly! Ever since my USENET days, I've loved being available to help answer questions and welcome people to the islands. I'm signing up!

Like I mentioned above, I love online communities, and I particularly like it when we can make the jump to hanging out in person. This site, and its sister site HawaiiStories, is long, long overdue for a potluck or something. I'll make that my first New Year's Resolution!

Comment

Kimo, Umm..boyfriend? yeah, I'll think I'll ask. Afterall, the 4thLOVE of my life(GOD,MAMA,KIDS then him) keeps making the disappearence act on me. Seems to come home only when he's broke and like poke!heheheh I wanda if the commentator goin get hoohoo about what I just wrote. Nah, CraigWatanabe wrote a more describing one last night...it's still there, about being ADAM. (rolling over the floor!)

Your last sentence, "Make sure the plug is needed and fits into your PC!" You funny too! Eh, KIMO...I haven't laughed so much like I have since finding this site! MAHALO TO ALL!

Comment

Your last sentence, "Make sure the plug is needed and fits into your PC!" You funny too! Eh, KIMO...I haven't laughed so much like I have since finding this site! MAHALO TO ALL!

nononooooo! Didn't mean it that way. honestly.

Comment

Kimo da MAN. iT'S OK, YOU DON'T HAVE TO MAKE EXCUSES...I NUTS, REMEMBER!HAHAHAHAHAHAH

I suppose to go out tonight with my neices. With my luck I wasn't surprised. Cancelled till Wednesda! Brenda is from Seattle and a friend brought her kid for her to babysit. Arsena drank some herbal tea at the Christmas Party given by my other neice Kalena which is giving her farts and diarrhea up the yangs yangs! Oh, well all dressed up and no where to go.hmmm...maybe to my old stumping ground? Chinatown.nonononononono!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    What I think MemoryLane is getting at is that you can have lots of Internet "acquaintances" who you'll probably never meet in "real" life in the same way that you can see a neighbor over a fence.

You can get pretty damned close to your Internet acquaintances but the element of "trust" may not always be there. Way back in the Pleistocene Age of the Internet (late 90's) when chat rooms and things were just getting started, I think there really was more of a sense of "community". But as the Internet became more popular and widely used, it also became the playground of charlatans and predators who took advantage of the naivete of some of the newbies. This is kind of evolving again now with the advent of videocams. Until those things became popular, you could only "trust" what the other person told you about him/herself and more than likely what they told you was a persona they wanted to be, not the one they actually were. The videocams kind of take the edge of the "not knowing what the other person looks like" but you still have to take it on faith that they are who they say they are.

Sometimes, the Internet friendships do evolve into something more than just an electronic acquaintance. On the Ohanalanai, for instance, we have "reunions" where we meet each other and share our friendships real time. It's unfortunate that there are so many charlatans out on the 'Net trying to be who they are not; the best advice is to take these acquaintances with a grain of salt at first, and let them develop slowly. Sometimes you get lucky and meet people you really really like in person!

Miulang

Right, that and how i asked a certain someone on here if they would want to meet for a drink (it didnt have to be alcoholic or whatever comes to mind) when i got to the island last month and i wasnt even worthy of a reply. Another person on here that did something nice for me rejected my offer of dinner in return for what they did...........such like.........we're like hermit crabs these days, stay in our homes with our safe little computers and no one can really *hurt* us. Thrilling.
                    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
                      Right, that and how i asked a certain someone on here if they would want to meet for a drink and i wasnt even worthy of a reply.
                      ...maybe you could consider the possibility; that "certain someone on here" didn't see the public post of the invite...
                      until MUCH after the reaction...

after all, upon perusal of your posting dates, we see the invitation was extended Nov 3, and then your reaction to a non-reply was posted two days later on Nov 5!
                      "This is a sad world we live in these days. with the lovely internet, we are *meeting* people like crazy but still wouldnt want to *meet* them. Makes no sense and is very sad actually."

How you figgah?

I understand this modern world is populated mostly by those ingrained with the birthright of egocentric impatience, who feel instant gratification takes too long, having not yet been weaned from the pacifier of immediate communication with the advent of email... still, ya can't expect everyone to hit each page that you visit at the pace you do, of a volumnous site such as this.

we're like hermit crabs these days, stay in our homes with our safe little computers and no one can really *hurt* us. Thrilling.

speak fer yerself. I view myself as much more of a "social butterfly" than a possibly oversensitive hermit crab.
                      Last edited by kimo55; December 29, 2004, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Eh memorylane...I not one hermit crab! Got computer and plenty aloha too! Too bad I just joined Hawaii Threads dis month! Haouli makahiki Hou!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          after all, upon perusal of your posting dates, we see the invitation was extended Nov 3, and then your reaction to a non-reply was posted two days later on Nov 5!
                          Seeing how you want to be what i read to be RUDE about it, kay.............the posting was made in plenty of time before i was coming o-er with no response cept from the admin yet you were all over this site posting stuff at the same time. WTFever, too late now, like i give a poot.
                          If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

the posting was made in plenty of time before i was coming o-er with no response cept from the admin yet you were all over this site posting stuff at the same time.

I feel so young all of a sudden!
                            Like a naughty little boy being scolded by the mommy den mother!

WTFever, too late now, like i give a poot.

huh huh... huh huh ...she said "poot"!

Last edited by kimo55; January 4, 2005, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Pau already, no?

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                                Pau already, no?

Miulang

Oh, Miu!
                                can't you be satisfied at 1,012?
                                Must you gloat and add more so recklessly?
                                dayum. i may NEVER tomatoe sauce. i mean catch up.

Comment

Working...
                                X