The High Road has had their domain name hijacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The High Road has had their domain name hijacked

For you pro-gun folks out there, it looks like a volunteer sysadmin secretly transferred domain ownership to himself, is holding the forum database hostage, and has shut the site down.

Downtime

I'll have the board up tomorrow, with details about this outage. Thanks for your patience.

-- Derek
    Man, that's just dirty. I think he picked the wrong bunch of Americans to mess with. I suspect his home address will be passed around the web soon.

Ryan: please don't let this happen to HT; we love it too much!
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: The High Road has had their domain name hijacked

Looks like the registrar was GoDaddy. Guess we'll see how good their domain theft response is.

Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR)
    Registrant Name: Derek Zeanah
    Registrant Street1:470 Country Club Road
    Registrant Street2:
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Statesboro
    Registrant State/Province:Georgia
    Registrant Postal Code:30458
    Registrant Country:US
    Registrant Phone:+1.4048065831
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:+1.9128523523
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:derek@zeanah.com
    Derek, Derek, Derek. Should have used a P.O. Box. Unless of course his real name isn't Derek. In that case, some poor innocent guy will get his home shot up.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "

Comment

Looks like THR is back up, and Derek has posted up his side of the story. I have to admit he's pretty well spoken.

Sounds like a typical business situation. Both sides worked hard to develop the forum, and they can't agree on a division of ownership. Derek has done the behind-the-scenes, unglamorous job of keeping the site running. Oleg built the community.

ATM I'm leaning towards Oleg, because building a community is a lot harder than maintaining the server. Not to belittle the work a sysadmin has to do, to keep a site running, but it's not like Derek is running something complicated like Amazon or eBay. Then again I've never admin'ed a forum, so I don't really know the pain.
      "

Comment

My friend made a very good point. THR has had up to 10K viewers on at the same time. My friend is guessing Derek wants to run ads on THR, to monetize the site. Oleg wants to keep the site pure. They disagree. Lawyers.
        "

Comment

The High Road has had ITS domain name hijacked. Yes, I LOATHE bad grammar. So shoot me, LOLOLOL.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Haha, that made me smile

Thanks for taking the time and effort to improve my grammer, LG. I wrote "The High Road" (a thing) and then my mind slipped into thinking about the community.

Ok. How about this, to get your feathers ruffled:

"The High Road has had it's domain name hijacked"

"

Comment

Well, at least your cry for correction kept this from remaining a "talking-to-yourself" thread, MJoe. I was starting to worry about you...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Well, at least your cry for correction kept this from remaining a "talking-to-yourself" thread, MJoe. I was starting to worry about you...
                Haha Yes, I was having quite a brain dump this morning.

Thanks for your concern, LL. I enjoy talking to myself. Outwitting myself makes me feel superior.
                "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                  Haha Yes, I was having quite a brain dump this morning.

Thanks for your concern, LL. I enjoy talking to myself. Outwitting myself makes me feel superior.
                  Sometimes I'm the only person who pays attention to me! It's just not a good place to be, AIN'T IT? lol.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                    Sometimes I'm the only person who pays attention to me! It's just not a good place to be, AIN'T IT? lol.
                    Heh. Especially when we're our own worst critics.
                    "

Comment

Working...
                    X