The Olden Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Olden Days

Waffle Dogs at KC drive in near the Ala Wai Canal where they also had boat rides.

Waialae Drive In Swap meets, now a a luxury home subdivision and a storage center.

Kahala beach when it was a vast white sand beach (before Kahala Hilton put in those two islands and destroyed it). Now that beach is a coral wasteland.

Mynah Bird Drive in, where Jolly Rogers was and is now Kahala Zippy's.

Burgerland with the neon burgers running around the roof, now where Foodland in Marketcity sits in Kapahulu.

The Alexender Young Hotel on Bishop Street. My stomping grounds when my dad would take me there as a child while he worked as a building superintendent, running around the marble-lined halls and checking out the Hob Knob on the corner of Hotel and Bishop. Del Courtney used to play on the rooftop garden. Dr. John Corboy's dad worked there as well.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 28, 2009, 08:24 AM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Mistake: 31 is Fresh Water.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

To know the real history of a place is to ask someone who was born and raised in the area. Especially, one who loves it dearly. *winks*
      Last edited by 1stwahine; June 28, 2009, 08:37 AM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No way did I start this thread to make people cry.. Kathy rang me on fathers day to ask me about the olden days.

Glossy Yank Comic Books.
        4 Walkers sweets for a penny.
        Havining knitting wool strung out acros my fingers, so so it could be rolled into a ball. Then made into a disgusting pulley/jumper.
        I miss the wash house. A pram full of clothes were takan down there (Mostly my Grandads socks). The ladies would have a good natter and us kids would play.

Comment

Barry, It's not new. We've had threads like this before. Mahalo for starting this one now. It was time we shared our thoughts of "The Olden Days" again.

As for my crying. It's happy tears of memories of long ago.

Mahalo Dear Sir.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post

There were nine dance halls in the area.

I also remember when the cows buckled loose on Iwilei road. Dole Pineapple workers were just getting off work. The cows stampeding all over the road and causing chaos. Everyone running for cover. One local Japanese lady badly hurt and covered in blood. I remember.

The Pool Hall on Iwilei. In or out. Side and back. I know it all. ha ha ha The games, the players, the crooks, those who lived and those who died.
            That print on the wall of Kakaako Kitchen has a dance hall (which I don't remember) next door to Tin Tin.

I never heard about the cows buck-a-loose on Iwilei. We moved to Mayor Wright in '52, but I never hear about that one - or no can remember.

Auntie, with your reminiscences of those colorful people, you should write down your memories. You know, before you forget.
            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
              A street (Iwilei Road?) cutting right thru Aala Park to Beretania, so the old Aala Park was truncated, not the extended triangular park that it is today.
              I remember the very point of Aala Triangle was a triange-shaped block of shops and other buildings. I have a hazy memory of visiting an aunt who lived in Ala Triangle, on the second floor of a wooden building with labyrinthian passageways. It reminded me of opium dens.

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              The Oahu Rail Road Station is now used for Public Welfare Office Applications upstairs.
              I also remember waiting for the HRT bus at the old OR&L station nearby. Wasn't there a poolhall nearby? Or a bar?

And I agree with Palama Kid. Write it down your memories before they're lost.

Comment

those nostaligic about woolworths will be glad to hear of its rebirth...online. (credit goes to eric bcs he's the one who sent me the article last night.)
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I gotta go work. I be back, I got plenny foa share.

Stay tuned.

I like this thread.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                    That print on the wall of Kakaako Kitchen has a dance hall (which I don't remember) next door to Tin Tin.
                    I think that was the Crystal Palace Ballroom, there were two "taxi dance halls" next to each other and the band was in the middle. My friends father played there and at the Beretania Follies. I believe the men had to buy scripts and hand it to the women when they wanted to dance. It was above Tin Tin Chop Suey.

Comment

Honoruru -

I remember waiting for the Wahiawa bus at the station behind/adjacent to Hawaiian Tel along Alakea Street;

-buying a school-colors jacket a Service Center on Hotel Street between Alakea and bishp

-buying a lemon coke at the Hob Nob on the street level of the Alexander Young Hotel directly across Hotel Street from Service Center (and thinking it was so cool to ask for water with the lemon coke so we could take the lemon and make lemonade - two for one dinks!)

Comment

• Territorial Tavern

The ol' TT for Booga Booga and turtle steaks.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                          I think that was the Crystal Palace Ballroom, there were two "taxi dance halls" next to each other and the band was in the middle. My friends father played there and at the Beretania Follies. I believe the men had to buy scripts and hand it to the women when they wanted to dance. It was above Tin Tin Chop Suey.
                          Orchid Ballroom shared the the other half with Palace Ballroom. Orchid Star was near Pink Elephant on Beretania by Aala Triangle by Hall Street. Manila Ballroom was near Aala Street. King Ballroom was across of the Iwilei Railroad upstairs of Sigapore Bar. The last of the ballrooms was on Hotel Street.

More inf. PM me.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; June 29, 2009, 07:41 AM.

Comment

The swimming pool at Aina Haina shopping center? Or does that really give my age away?
                            The Ranch House restaurant, and that field with a windmill and the water buffalo.

Camping out with Summer Fun at Hanauma Bay. The Summer Fun 'Olympics' in 1968? They're idea of giving it a Mexican theme was putting on a long skit of that old joke 'Jose can you see?'

CYO Camp Hauula, immortalised in de Lima's 'Da Blala'

Watching Yellow Submarine at the Waialae drive in. 'I've got a hole in me pocket'....my kids talk like that.
                            Speak to the heart and the man becomes instantly virtuous. Emerson

Comment

If you remember the C&C Parks and Rec Summer Fun program then Robert Preston's "Chicken Fat" morning aerobic song was all too familiar. I vaguely remember the swimming pool at Aina Hina Shopping Center, I fondly remember the rollerskating rink in Waialae where Petland and the host of other businesses are located in that building on Waialae Avenue next to the Cheveron gas station.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                                those nostaligic about woolworths will be glad to hear of its rebirth...online. (credit goes to eric bcs he's the one who sent me the article last night.)
                                Too bad they can't use that old moniker: Five & Dime

Comment

Working...
                                X