Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Olden Days

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    If you remember the C&C Parks and Rec Summer Fun program then Robert Preston's "Chicken Fat" morning aerobic song was all too familiar. I vaguely remember the swimming pool at Aina Hina Shopping Center, I fondly remember the rollerskating rink in Waialae where Petland and the host of other businesses are located in that building on Waialae Avenue next to the Cheveron gas station.
    CHICKEN FAT!!!!

I wonder were you at the same Summer Fun I was at, in that pyramid shaped building by Kahala Elementary? And they had afterschool stuff like ukulele lessons...twenty kids strumming away to 'The Green Berets'...taught by ?Miss Kobayashi?

I went to the rollerskating rink once, and stuck firmly to the rail! Wasn't it turned into something sinister a few years later, where they did autopsies, or was that just ghoulish kid gossip?

I went to 'Chicken of the Sea' school right next door.
    Speak to the heart and the man becomes instantly virtuous. Emerson

Comment

As Susie will inform you that people who have have lived in France, use Goose grease. We cook with it and even rub it it on our chest when we have a bad cough.

Comment

Originally posted by Betsey View Post
        CHICKEN FAT!!!!

I wonder were you at the same Summer Fun I was at, in that pyramid shaped building by Kahala Elementary? And they had afterschool stuff like ukulele lessons...twenty kids strumming away to 'The Green Berets'...taught by ?Miss Kobayashi?

I went to the rollerskating rink once, and stuck firmly to the rail! Wasn't it turned into something sinister a few years later, where they did autopsies, or was that just ghoulish kid gossip?

I went to 'Chicken of the Sea' school right next door.
        I went to Wilson Park's summer fun program from 1965 to 1969 then it was summer school until I graduated. Sometimes I would cut thru Star of the Sea to get to Kalani and get beaten up by the girls there. Tough school you got! yeah I was a 127-lb 5'6" tall nerd back then.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I went to Wilson Park's summer fun program from 1965 to 1969 then it was summer school until I graduated. Sometimes I would cut thru Star of the Sea to get to Kalani and get beaten up by the girls there. Tough school you got! yeah I was a 127-lb 5'6" tall nerd back then.
          Yeah, well, I left after eighth grade, which probably saved my life. Too late to save my sanity but.

Anyway, we were neighbors and near contemporaries. That's fun!

Comment

If you remember the C&C Parks and Rec Summer Fun program then Robert Preston's "Chicken Fat" morning aerobic song was all too familiar. I vaguely remember the swimming pool at Aina Hina Shopping Center, I fondly remember the rollerskating rink in Waialae where Petland and the host of other businesses are located in that building on Waialae Avenue next to the Cheveron gas station.
            Chicken Fat was played first thing every morning when we had to do calisthenics during C&Cs summer fun where I went to at Waimalu Elementary School.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFofqe26t-4

Comment

I'm intoxicated.
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My problem was, I was chicken and skinny. The kid with the least upper body strength in the State of Hawaii. I can remember hanging on the chin up bar, kicking my legs as if I could swim my way upwards.

Does anybody remember the game where everyone had balloons tied to your ankles, and you ran around trying to pop them by whacking them with rolled up newspapers? The last surviving balloon was the winner.

Comment

My problem was, I was chicken and skinny. The kid with the least upper body strength in the State of Hawaii. I can remember hanging on the chin up bar, kicking my legs as if I could swim my way upwards.

Does anybody remember the game where everyone had balloons tied to your ankles, and you ran around trying to pop them by whacking them with rolled up newspapers? The last surviving balloon was the winner.

Come to the Dingle Betsey and I will teach you to swim. Don't forget your wellies and a mac. We are going to Otterspool.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                    Come to the Dingle Betsey and I will teach you to swim. Don't forget your wellies and a mac. We are going to Otterspool.
                    I know the river Mersey is a lot cleaner than it used to be, but I think I'll wait till I get to West Cork!

Comment

No but I can remember a game where this cannon ball was shackled to my ankle....um wait....no that's marriage! I always get the two mixed up

Comment

No but I can remember a game where this cannon ball was shackled to my ankle....um wait....no that's marriage! I always get the two mixed up
                        Summer Fun was obviously a lot more sophisticated at Wilson!

Comment

We didn't use rolled up newspapers... the version I remember is that we all ran around like crazy, trying to stomp on everyone else's balloon! At the same time, you tried to keep your own balloon off the floor so nobody could stomp on it.

And there was always at least one kid who would "cheat" by underinflating their balloon...
                          So when you stepped on it, da buggah wouldn't pop.

Summer Fun was obviously a lot more sophisticated at Wilson!
                          Haha, maybe it wasn’t all that sophisticated.
                          Reminds me of this juvenile razz from the olden days:
                          “Craig & Betsey sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!
                          First comes love, then comes marriage…”
                          To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Hyick Hyick.

Kids can be so cruel!

Should we have a separate thread to name and shame cheaters at the balloon game?

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                              We didn't use rolled up newspapers... the version I remember is that we all ran around like crazy, trying to stomp on everyone else's balloon! At the same time, you tried to keep your own balloon off the floor so nobody could stomp on it.

And there was always at least one kid who would "cheat" by underinflating their balloon...
                              So when you stepped on it, da buggah wouldn't pop.

Haha, maybe it wasn’t all that sophisticated.
                              Reminds me of this juvenile razz from the olden days:
                              “Craig & Betsey sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!
                              First comes love, then comes marriage…”
                              Hey so what happened after that!

Comment

Teacheer coming! Teacher coming!

Comment

Working...
                                X