X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Olden Days

Originally posted by musubi View Post
    Reminds me of this juvenile razz from the olden days:
    “Craig & Betsey sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!
    First comes love, then comes marriage…”
    Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Hey so what happened after that!
    Originally posted by Betsey View Post
    Teacheer coming! Teacher coming!
    *looks furtively from side to side* Is she gone now? Okay, coast clear!

*whispers to Craig* Eh, braddah… No tell me I gotta spell ‘um out foa you!
    You KNOW how da las’ line goes:
    “Here comes Craig with da baby carriage!”

*WHACK!!!* Owwwweeee!!! I sorry, Sister Mary Agnes!

*writes on blackboard: “I will not talk in class. I will not talk in class. I will not talk in class.”*
    *repeat 197 more times*
    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

^^^
      And you know those were the olden days...
      when you could get *whack whacks* with the teacher's ruler!

Auntie Lynn would have made a good teacher too, I bet!

Comment

Forget the ruler...the 1" thick drilled out koa paddle was our form of discipline.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
          *looks furtively from side to side* Is she gone now? Okay, coast clear!

*whispers to Craig* Eh, braddah… No tell me I gotta spell ‘um out foa you!
          You KNOW how da las’ line goes:
          “Here comes Craig with da baby carriage!”

*WHACK!!!* Owwwweeee!!! I sorry, Sister Mary Agnes!

*writes on blackboard: “I will not talk in class. I will not talk in class. I will not talk in class.”*
          *repeat 197 more times*
          Oh right...das how come I get so many babies eh?

Comment

Forget the ruler...the 1" thick drilled out koa paddle was our form of discipline.
            You must've been a student at Waialua High.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
              You must've been a student at Waialua High.
              Wilson Elementary School. My 6th grade teacher was Mrs. Berlin. With a name like that you were a good kid untl the bell rang

Comment

Wilson Elementary School. My 6th grade teacher was Mrs. Berlin. With a name like that you were a good kid untl the bell rang
                They had paddles in elementary school?!
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                  They had paddles in elementary school?!
                  yeah the belt left welts and the yardsticks broke (cheap pinewood) so they had to get something that was more durable and didn't leave any raised bruises for the parents to see

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                    Anyone remember the old Wigwam store in Waipahu?
                    No, but I remember the one in Kailua. Next to foodland/food city or someting li' that. Across the parking lot from the old post office.

Originally posted by Betsey View Post
                    The Ranch House restaurant, and that field with a windmill and the water buffalo.
                    Oh, yes. My family would make the trip from Kailua via Makapuu to Ranch House for Christmas dinner.

Comment

Does anyone remember the Canoue Club on the Ala Wai Canal. ?
                      I used to drift up there and have an attempt > up M Culey.
                      Then the rains came down and washed all the pesticiceds from the golf course into the canal and it begame dead. Sewers broke and raw sewage was puped into the canal.

Comment

I don't remember the Canoe Club, but I have a dim memory that Bob Krauss and someone else once mounted a raft expedition to prove that Waikiki was populated by ancient settlers from Kaimuki. It was a take off on the Kon Tiki, so must have been in the sixties.
                        Speak to the heart and the man becomes instantly virtuous. Emerson

Comment

yeah the belt left welts and the yardsticks broke (cheap pinewood) so they had to get something that was more durable and didn't leave any raised bruises for the parents to see
                          And the principal or vice-principal seemed like a giant wen you one small kid. Years later, he's kind of not as big as you remembered, who you scared.

Comment

Whoa, das’ one serious paddle when they drill 'em out to make 'em lighter and more aerodynamic!
                            Keeps the arm from getting tired, and it puts some velocity into the downswing.

A state of the art paddle delivering those *whack whacks*… I bet da buggah ‘wen sting like hell!

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            And the principal or vice-principal seemed like a giant wen you one small kid. Years later, he's kind of not as big as you remembered, who you scared.
                            One of my aunties was the Principal at Anuenue Elementary in the early 60’s. She was a petite lady, 5’1” in her stocking feet, and couldn’t have weighed more than 120 lbs soaking wet. But everyone said she was a lean, mean disciplinary machine!

I was with her one Saturday, and she had to stop by her office to pick up something or other. When we walked into her office, I saw a wooden paddle hanging on the wall. It had Greek lettering; must’ve been one of those sorority paddles.

That paddle did NOT look like it was just there “for decoration!” Auntie saw me eyeing the paddle, and she assured me: “Only children who misbehave have to worry about getting paddled.”

Yeah... if you were on the receiving end of that paddle, I bet that my Auntie seemed MUCH bigger than she was in real life!

Comment

Paddle? You talkin bout Da Paddle? HA HA HA

Kalakaua Middle School had the biggest Paddle and da meanest teacher to whack whack da okoles of the students who went through her back room! I was one of dem. My okole was sooo sore. Dem days neba have abuse. We took it and could not grumble. If we grumbled moa we got whack whacks!

I no kid you.

We called her Apple A$$. She was an old Paki teacher who walked like a duck. With her black hair in a bun. She ruled. She enjoyed having control and having the students fear her. If it was today, she'll be put in prison.

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

You are right Lynn. These days that would be called 'child abuse.'

I was taught by Irish Chrisitian Brothers. These were monsters and not brotherly. They weilded a short thick strap with a vengeince. At that time I could not understand English and so I had several smacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X