The Olden Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Olden Days

Some fantastic memories coming out here.

Does anyone remember Chock Ices?
    Sticky Lice
    Candy Floss
    Black Joes
    Orange Maid on a stick

Comment

• Re: Olden days-Just for fun

What a great thread!
      Of course, I had start at the beginning to catch up.
      Brought back lots of memories, especially these from post #50:

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
      Wax covered dill pickle for a nickel from Marigold Market.
      Red dirt stained bibadeez.
      Summer jobs picking pineapple. Yeah, I actually miss it.
      Eating dinner at Sunnyside at the old Wahiawa bus station.
      $.35 Saturday matinees at Wahiawa Theater.
      Yep, that was small kid time in Wahiawa, all right.
      For some reason, I remember calling Sunnyside "Kemoo Coffee Shop" when it was at the old bus station.
      And my auntie was a cashier at Wahiawa Theater -- we used to go in for free, felt like "big shots."
      ...Many years later, I learned that she always paid for our tickets out of her own pocket.

Besides Marigold Market, other Wahiawa businesses I recall (but no longer around):
      • Castner's, Cornet's and Kress (five & dime stores)
      • Lyn's Market (we knew it as the "Filipino Store")
      • Shan's Bakery
      • Victory Theatre
      • Topper's Drive-In
      • Al Wonder Jewelers
      • Wahiawa Clothiers
      • Rexall Drugstore (used to hang out & read comic books there)
      • Okimoto Drugstore (ditto)
      • Dairy Queen
      • Three Coins (where Zippy's is now)
      • Big-Way Burger (the OLD one before Kam Hwy got widened and they had to relocate it)
      • The candy store on the corner at Wahiawa Hongwanji... everyone called it "Lillian's" altho I don't think that was its real name. Lillian was the lady who ran it... she would say the price in "dollah" instead of cents. Like if your stuff came up to 10 cents, she would say, "Okay, dat ten dollah." If you paid with a quarter, your change got counted back in "dollah" as well. She'd place the dime and nickel in your palm and say, "Your change fifteen dollah."

And... I miss the sound of driving over the "Airplane Bridge."
      To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        404 Piikoi (used to be Records Hawaii, now Hawaiki Towers)
        Not only Records Hawaii, but also Jelly's and Job Lot. Cheap stuff a plenty in those days.

The old Honolulu International Airport with the glowing water fountain at it's entrance
        The old Hilo Airport with the fishponds and the later extension for overseas flights (not the current terminal).

Hawaiian Airlines and Aloha Airlines used to fly into Kamuela Airport on the Big Island.

I've ridden on many old Hawaiian Airlines prop planes: Convair 340, 640, Douglas DC-6, Dash 7, Shorts Bros. 330.

Mid Pacific Airlines $19 flight coupon tickets!

Aloha Airlines
        Last edited by mel; June 25, 2009, 05:52 AM. Reason: added links
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My first job was delivering the Star Bulletin in the afternoons in a downtown area mauka of Kamehameha Highway in Wahiawa ... I could run down the hill from Wahiawa Elementary, fold and deliver my 70 papers, and still make the matinee at Wahiawa Theater - AND, Musubi, the ticket price in those days was a whopping 9 cents. The conventional wisdom was that if they charged a dime or more they would have to add some kind of tax - sounds like the kind of "information" kids would make up.

Was your reference to 'Wahiawa Clothiers' meant to be 'Duke's Clothiers'? Owned/operated by Duke Moon, family of the current state supreme court chief justice Ron Moon.

Don't forget Wahiawa Sporting Goods, Tom's Gorcery, and wasn't there a place called 'Variety Store'?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
            My first job was delivering the Star Bulletin in the afternoons in a downtown area mauka of Kamehameha Highway in Wahiawa ... I could run down the hill from Wahiawa Elementary, fold and deliver my 70 papers, and still make the matinee at Wahiawa Theater
            Wow, you delivered on foot? I remember kids delivering paper with the humongous canvas bags on their bikes. Must've weighed a ton at the beginning of the route. Can't imagine any of today's kids throwing paper route on foot or by bike, LOL.

- AND, Musubi, the ticket price in those days was a whopping 9 cents. The conventional wisdom was that if they charged a dime or more they would have to add some kind of tax - sounds like the kind of "information" kids would make up.
            Nine cents?!? Okay, that must have been just slightly before my time... but not by much!

Was your reference to 'Wahiawa Clothiers' meant to be 'Duke's Clothiers'? Owned/operated by Duke Moon, family of the current state supreme court chief justice Ron Moon.
            No, I didn't mention Duke's because Duke's is STILL in business!
            My mom shops there regularly, to this day.

Wahiawa Clothiers was in the Wahiawa Shopping Center between Rexall and Al Wonder Jewelers. Kress & Foodland were at the far end. WC carried mens' clothing, kind of like the Wahiawa version of Ritz or Kramer's. IIRC, the Hayashi family owned WC.

Today, I think Foodland is the only business remaining in that shopping center from the "olden days."

Don't forget Wahiawa Sporting Goods, Tom's Gorcery, and wasn't there a place called 'Variety Store'?
            Oh, yeah-- Wahiawa Sporting Goods, where we bought da fishing licenses! So if the Game Warden came by in his boat to check us out, we would be all "legal," li' dat! And next to to Sporting Goods was the music store, Wahiawa Electronics.

Not sure which stores were Tom's Grocery or the Variety Store... can you elaborate?
            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Wen you can eat all the salt you want without worrying about having high blood pressure.
              The flavors of Yick Lung seeds include:
              Li Hi Mui
              Cracked Seed
              Shredded Mango or Ginger
              Lemon Peel
              Salty Seed
              Plum

Comment

Scotty's (esp the prices), which was next to

Rainbow Rollerland

The OLD Honolulu International Airport, where the aircraft were parked 100 feet from the chainlink fence, and you could actually spot and identify the passengers as they took their seats and waved goodbye through the windows, and when the 'planes fired up and turned to head to the runway, the folks who came to see you off had to turn their backs to avoid dust/gravel kicked up by the propwash

I remember when Jet service came to Hawaii, we'd go out on that same outdoor deck and get blown away from the jet exhaust. That was so cool!
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Coming from East Honolulu back in the days, I loved listening to Mike Buck because that was his stomping grounds too before my time. I used to hike in the back of Waialae Nui Valley and wondered why there were so many red bricks buried there. My dad tells me there was a brick farm before that valley was developed. I remember the Waialae Shopping center's open walkways. I think Longs is the only tenant there that hasn't changed it's layout since inception, except for the vestibule that was built to allow for more floor space by moving the cashiers forward. Is Star Market still there? If so they are the only two original tenants left. Liberty House became Macy's so they don't count.

Comment

Is Star Market still there? If so they are the only two original tenants left.
                    Craig, you gotta visit Oahu more often. Star Market is now Whole Foods.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                      Craig, you gotta visit Oahu more often. Star Market is now Whole Foods.
                      Thanks I was talking to my sister and she told me that too. Seems the entire Ewa side of Kahala Mall has gone thru some changes. Darn, Honolulu is changing so fast.

Comment

99 cent Jumbo Jacks

Comment

a banana, OJ and 11 miniature ginger snaps and now coffee.

Whoops! Spaced out.......I thought i was posting in "what's for breakfast" Sorry!
                          Don't know how/if it can be moved there!
                          Last edited by leashlaws; June 27, 2009, 10:00 AM. Reason: Wrong Topic!

Comment

Anyone remember the old Wigwam store in Waipahu? I think it used to be about where City Mill is.

Comment

A street (Iwilei Road?) cutting right thru Aala Park to Beretania, so the old Aala Park was truncated, not the extended triangular park that it is today.

So many pool halls, restaurants & saimin stands on that street. In my mind, all those restaurants looked like Jane's Fountain does now. Tall shady trees running along the entire Ewa side of the park. The entire trapezoid-shaped park was a grass field then.

The Aala Pawn Shop right at the tip where King and Beretania split off.

The smell of toscanos emanating from the pool halls; gas station on Beretania where Hall Street cut thru from Kukui Street (I loved to breathe in the gasoline vapors - yeah, that's why I'm the way I am); the moving of that Japanese temple from its previous location mauka near the end of Beretania to its present location on Kukui; the furo baths available near the "old" temple location; flower shops and fruit stands along the Diamond Head side of River Street between Kukui and Hotel Streets; Omochaya on King Street near River Street; A-One Bakery across King Street from Aala Park; Tin Tin Chop Suey on Maunakea (saw a print in Kakaako Kitchen that reminded me of that restaurant).

Gotta stop.
                              Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                                A street (Iwilei Road?) cutting right thru Aala Park to Beretania, so the old Aala Park was truncated, not the extended triangular park that it is today.

So many pool halls, restaurants & saimin stands on that street.

Gotta stop.
                                Not yet...

Tatas would bring me back to my parent's grocery store when I wondered off in my diapers. It was a different time den. Whether it would be towards Chinatown or Iwilei, I never got lost. Aala was my home. It was a bustling community. Restaurants, Movie Theaters, Bars, Pool Halls, everything and anything. In the park was the She-fa game. Bankers would sell numbers from 1 to 36. Each had a different meaning. Players would buy it for different reasons. Dreams, luck, and whateva's. 1 - Centipede. 2- Puka Puka 8- Heart 28- Fire 24- Salt Water 31- Salt Water. The ratio for playing $ 1.00 you win $20.00.

There were nine dance halls in the area.

Iwilei? I remember Railroad Inn next to Aala Tofu Shop. They made the biggest homemade Corn Bread and it was da best I ever had! They had the best Beef Stew and Cream Tuna. Typing dis is making me cry....too much memories.

K-den. Continuation.

The Oahu Rail Road Station is now used for Public Welfare Office Applications upstairs. I remember catching the Black Jeep-Open Taxis there to the country. Uncle Haylou bought tickets and we rode with all the other passengers to Ewa Beach. It was a long and FuN ride for a child.

I also remember when the cows buckled loose on Iwilei road. Dole Pineapple workers were just getting off work. The cows stampeding all over the road and causing chaos. Everyone running for cover. One local Japanese lady badly hurt and covered in blood. I remember.

The Pool Hall on Iwilei. In or out. Side and back. I know it all. ha ha ha The games, the players, the crooks, those who lived and those who died.
                                Last edited by 1stwahine; June 28, 2009, 08:25 AM.
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X