Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preoccupied with Payphones

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
    I took this a while back. It's the bank of payphones at the Navy Exchange at Pearl Harbor. I didn't get the angle quite the way I'd seen it a week or two earlier when I didn't have my camera, and there's somebody using one in this shot, but still...
    I don't know if they're still there because I haven't been to that side of base for a number of years, but next to one of the refueling docks stands about 10 pay phone booths. Just like the line of phone at the NEX, I assume they're there for sailors after d0cking at Pearl. If they've been on a lengthy deployment chances are they don't have cell phones that work. They probably just have phone cards.

I can't remember when it was last that I used a payphone. I want to say that it was senior year in HS, 9 years ago. We had a senior pavilion that had a payphone and the phone number to the phone was passed down to each senior class by the outgoing one, you know, so our BFs could call after we "paged" them. If you weren't a senior, you were forbidden from using that phone. You'd have to walk all the way across campus to use the other one.

I got a cell phone the following year, my first year in college.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
    X