Preschool recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preschool recommendations

Very humble, the only computer is the one in the Director's office. But like you said it's not for all students. Montessori schools like Waldorf and even Star of the Sea provide a different style of education that works as well. My two year old is Montessori material and wouldn't do well at TES.

Sweeping claims? yes they are but they won't be the first to say it. Their enrollment waitlist is verrrrryy long so they don't advertise at all. TES has been a model for which the University of Hawaii/Manoa has studied in past years to develop their own emergent curricullum directives. Many of the parents there are in fact UH proffessors as well as directors and administrators for other prominent k-12 private schools around Oahu so they understand just how good TES is.

You want a list of testimonials from professionals? Contact Francis at TES and request those names. You'd be impressed at the who's who that is on it. This is one school that has credentials that are way up there but they don't expound them because of their humbleness. These are really grassroots people! The director (Francis Dote) drives a beat up Nissan pickup. One of the senior board members drives an old Buick Century. Another plays blues rock in a local band. They refuse to be labelled eclectic even though they could easily become that. One teacher there was a hold out on digital photography and even stayed with a slide projector instead of using Power Point and a video projector.

Yep their grassroots people.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

One teacher there was a hold out on digital photography and even stayed with a slide projector instead of using Power Point and a video projector.

Are they Amish?

I sure can see the value in a school that has teachers that resist new technologies.

As far as parental involvement, I agree completely. My daughter's KG class will have computers in the classroom because I went out and got some old junk donated, had em refurbished a little, loaded up some Reader Rabbit, etc and took the computers to the school.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Having kids being exposed to computers at a very young age is good for some things, but it shouldn't be done at the risk of the kids not learning how to do things "manually" (especially as in writing and 'rithmetic). I know for myself, now that I use the computer almost exclusively to do word processing, the legibility of my handwriting has deteriorated horribly. And if kids don't learn how to add, subtract, multiply etc. without using a machine, the next generation of kids will be in a world of hurt if there is ever an energy shortage. Abacus, anyone?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          ... Another plays blues rock in a local band....
          i wasn't going to say anything but my daughter just started going to tes and she loves it. as craig said, the wait list is very long and maybe i should have mentioned his name but i decided not to and just hope for the best. thankfully, there was a spot for her and i like what i see going on. on a very basic level, i was impressed immediately by the maturity of the teachers and the way they interact with the kids. they're firm and clear and very loving. you can just tell that they're not inexperienced: they know what they're doing and they do it so well.

if any parent is interested, know that you can call the school and arrange an introductory tour of the place. as has been mentioned above, you shouldn't automatically assume that tes is for your child. by getting an introduction to the school and what it does, you'll be in a better position to decide whether that environment is a good fit for your child.

craig, who's the teacher who plays in a blues band???
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
            craig, who's the teacher who plays in a blues band???
            Roger. He's one of the original teachers there and he'll be there forever. Is your child in the YCP Infant Toddler program side or in the older programs (back/front rooms). Tell all the teachers and Francis there that Craig and Brenda says hi!

Oh and btw, resisting new technologies is a good thing. Children that age don't need computers to define their learning potential. They're still shaping their own internal computers. Gotta master that one before attempting a Macintosh or worse yet...a Windows based PC! Gosh did I just say that?
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; July 12, 2006, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Roger. He's one of the original teachers there and he'll be there forever. Is your child in the YCP Infant Toddler program side or in the older programs (back/front rooms). Tell all the teachers and Francis there that Craig and Brenda says hi!

Oh and btw, resisting new technologies is a good thing. Children that age don't need computers to define their learning potential. They're still shaping their own internal computers. Gotta master that one before attempting a Macintosh or worse yet...a Windows based PC! Gosh did I just say that?
              . . . . . . . . . .

howzit craig, yeah, i haven't met roger yet cuz my daughter's only 2 yrs 5 months, but i'll be sure to pass your greetings on to the teachers on the other side
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

. . . . . . . . . .

howzit craig, yeah, i haven't met roger yet cuz my daughter's only 2 yrs 5 months, but i'll be sure to pass your greetings on to the teachers on the other side
                Then your daughter is in the YCP program probably working with Carol, she's another long time teacher there, one of the originals I think.

Comment

Then your daughter is in the YCP program probably working with Carol, she's another long time teacher there, one of the originals I think.
                  . . . . . . . . .

yup, and it turns out she said that your wife worked at tes! odd that you didn't mention that before! ha! ha!

(i'll have to meet roger one day and ask where he plays!)

Comment

. . . . . . . . .

yup, and it turns out she said that your wife worked at tes! odd that you didn't mention that before! ha! ha!

(i'll have to meet roger one day and ask where he plays!)
                    She started as a volunteer then became a teacher then became Co-op Coordinator then left when she became pregnant again.

Comment

anyone else besides me enroll their children into a Punana Leo preschool? Our family's experiences were wonderful, they brought my young children out of their shells, gave them the gift of a Hawaiian environment (and not all of the kids were of Hawaiian ancestry), had fieldtrips all over the island, and it felt as if everyone was a big family.

pax

Comment

Does anyone know of any online databases that have info regarding Oahu Preschools?

I'm looking for recommendations for a preschool as close as possible to McCully and Kapiolani.

Comment

Working...
                        X