Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The menehune...?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    But I don't appreciate someone chiding me about merely using a forum to make points.
    This, from someone who chides HPD officers as acting like "school girls" and disparages (rather than commends) the efforts of neighborhood patrols.

Volunteering is a nearly useless way to get to the problem. You ever see neighborhood patrols? Rarely, and when they're out, it's a bunch of elderly and others with even less capacity.
    A bunch of elderly people who are infirm (but still able to use a cell phone to call the authorities when they spot suspicious activity) is doing a WHOLE lot more to actually help the community than just complaining online.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; April 11, 2009, 02:11 PM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      1) This, from someone who chides HPD officers as acting like "school girls" and disparages (rather than commends) the efforts of neighborhood patrols.
      2) A bunch of elderly people who are infirm (but still able to use a cell phone to call the authorities when they spot suspicious activity) is doing a WHOLE lot more to actually help the community than just complaining online.
      1) That's right, and it's true, on both accounts.
      I compliment them and anyone doing what they can for the community when deserved, and will call them out for inappropriate actions as well. Too bad you wish to ignore that fact.
      The civil patrols I last saw were so rag tag and invalid that they could barely get down the walkway, and could easily become victims themselves, but I still salute the efforts.
      2) When's the last time you even saw a neighborhood patrol? Been at least 3 years for me, and many more than that previously...
      Cell phones are available to virtually everybody, and have helped a lot in deterring crime and catching crims, so what's your point, other than to rag on my posts?
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

That's right, and it's true, on both accounts.
        I compliment them and anyone doing what they can for the community when deserved, and will call them out for inappropriate actions as well.
        Too bad you wish to ignore that fact.
        I call it as I see it, too. Like Aunty, I compliment aspiring HPD officers who truly want to do their part to make the community a safer place, even if they may make some mistakes along the way. Likewise, I will call out and criticize actions that I see as being unproductive, like constant complaints that only offers criticism rather than solutions.

Too bad you wish to ignore that fact.

Cell phones are available to virtually everybody, and have helped a lot in deterring crime and catching crims, so what's your point, other than to rag on my posts?
        Such cell phone calls informing officers of suspicious activity in the neighborhood (like vandals spray painting a wall in public park or damaging school property) don't magically occur with people sitting at home in front of their computer.

Once again, someone complaining about being ragged on when he has no problems with ragging others who are actually trying to do something to make their communities safer, however imperfect their efforts may be.

Obviously, this discussion is simply going in a circle now. You go ahead and have the final word in. I'll just conclude by saying that govt./police cannot singlehandedly stop the problem of graffiti/vandalism on their own.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

"1) What's the difference between a ugly tag or an ugly paint over? None, and the taggers will be back to those spots. The point is to dissuade the tagging, and no, that's not an easy solution, but there has to be more done about it."

The only places that I have noticed that don't get tagged are those walls where some tasteful artwork has been applied.
          It's probably not a solution, but I have dreamed about a City government that encourages kids with 'artistic' urges to actually apply for a section of wall and show us their best.

As far as drug crimes and shootings, I think Hawai`i has to come into the 21st century. I was amazed a few years ago when HPD pursued a truck that finally ran off the road in Kaneohe, and had to use 130 or more shots to complete the job (i.e., kill the driver).
          http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...ws/story2.html

That, plus the shooting of the homeless woman just the other day makes me question if our officers are getting enough adequate training. I've seen a 175 lb, 5'8" security guard at Tripler take down a 250+ lb. body builder armed with a hunting knife. Subdued, disarmed and handcuffed in less than 2 minutes without even touching his firearm.

I would rather have police who can operate like that rather than shooting a mentally ill homeless woman armed with a "metal rod and a skewer." It seems like they also need more range practice. 130 rounds? And at a truck that wasn't going anywhere, in an open area where the perp could be watched and people kept away until he ran out of ammo and could be arrested without killing him.

I am all in favor for funding more training for our police, because the direction this state is going, they are going to need it! In fact, it is long overdue.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Their 'extensive training' should include behaving like mature adults at all times when in public, not as school girls. Maybe the ones I mention missed that class... It was a real head shaking moment, and not one that inspires confidence in doing the serious job at hand.
            When they are suddenly out on the streets in groups, folks take notice, watch, and size them up. ...easy pickin's. Kinda like the Boy Scouts, only with a badge and gun. Still, it make's some feel protected, and it moves the problem somewhere else.

I'll pass on putting it straight to HPD at the NBM. They also have a tendency to get their BVDs wadded in a bunch when someone has the audacity to tell the facts that aren't complimentary, but, thank you, 'maam'.
            Mr. Whitfield,

No matter what I say, sadly, you are the type of person whom will always find fault. Instead of becoming part of the solution, you become the problem. You grumble and grumble. Volunteers give of themselves without getting anything in return. I know first hand. But I'm not going to get into that. The Men and Women of HPD are the best in the nation in my book. The history of Honolulu's Finest is something to be proud of! "Audacity to tell the facts?" Then you shouldn't be afraid to speak to a bunch of BVD'S wadded cops right? Cause you telling the truth and just being you.

Happy Easter.

Lynn
            Last edited by 1stwahine; April 11, 2009, 05:58 PM.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Chinatown drug shooting

Well, there it is. A perfect example of people needing to be careful of what they wish for, because they just might get it.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...WS01/905110350

The increased police presence in Chinatown has helped allay safety fears, but it's also resulted in big increases in the number of citations issued to drivers and some are starting to ask whether the number of officers patrolling the area should be drawn back.

Gotta love it. Some folks living and/or working in Chinatown want to have their cake and eat it too, feeling that HPD officers should only take action against violent criminals but not appreciating their presence whenever they happen to get ticketed for a traffic/parking violation. Even if the officers weren't giving out increased number of citations, one wonders if the patrolling HPD officers would then be criticized for simply cruising around and doing nothing. That would be typical. There's just no pleasing the crybabies.

Comment

FM I am one of those who received a parking citation since the increase of police presence in Chinatown. I was parked on the corner of Maunakea and Pauahi in front of a fire hydrant, so I admit I was in violation. However I was sitting in my car with my motor running while someone was getting flowers from the shop on the corner. Two officers approached and one asked for my ID and registration, walked to the back of my car and began writing a citation. He came to the window stating that I am receiving two citations and instructions to contest it is on the back. I asked him if there would be no warning and he repeated what he said about contesting the citation, so I thanked him and drove around the block. I later noticed that for the vehicle information he wrote in "Parked vehicle" as if no one was in the car. The two violations were for parking in front of a fire hydrant and for parking where prohibited by a sign. Both fines are $35.00 each. I did not pay and instead wrote a letter admitting to the violation but explaining the circumstance and am now awaiting the judges decision. I know i was in violation so I did not contest the citations but am hoping the judge can understand myreasoning and maybe takt away one ticket.
                So yes I also feel they could be using a lot more tact in handing out parking citations.

Comment

What good is cake if you can't eat it?

The original clamour was about drug warfare killings, shootings/stabbings, and blatant/rampant drug dealings, not minor traffic offenses like the occassional parking scoflaws, someone riding bike w/out a light, or a jaywalker.

The HPD were out in force doing their jobs chasing away the bad elements, good, but they were also scrutinizing the public for any little thing they could toss off loads of tickets for, bad.
                  The citizenry want the police to mainly do the hard jobs, not looking for the general public as victims of minor offenses.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

D'Alani, all I can say is that you're not the first person to have had that experience. Happened to my next-door neighbor, who was parked too close to the hydrant while seated in her car. From her story, I learned the lesson: if you are illegally parked and you see an officer approaching you, don't make the mistake of assuming that he/she will give you a verbal warning and off you go, just because you never left your car. The officers are under no obligation to issue a warning first. Particularly with blocking a hydrant. It is not the same as spending too much time in a loading zone.

When you say that the officer could have used more tact in handing out the parking citation, was he acting in a rude or unprofessional manner? Or is it more a case of him not not being lenient and cutting you any slack?

Whatever the case, I wish you luck. Hopefully, you can at least get the fine reduced.

Comment

Re: What good is cake if you can't eat it?

The original clamour was about drug warfare killings, shootings/stabbings, and blatant/rampant drug dealings, not minor traffic offenses like the occassional parking scoflaws, someone riding bike w/out a light, or a jaywalker.
                      IOW, you desire a police force that engages in selective enforcement of the law?

The HPD were out in force doing their jobs chasing away the bad elements, good, but they were also scrutinizing the public for any little thing they could toss off loads of tickets for, bad.
                      The citizenry want the police to mainly do the hard jobs, not looking for the general public as victims of minor offenses.
                      In post #11 of this thread, you complained about officers huddled on a corner, talking with each other and not doing their jobs. And now, in a story about officers doing their jobs, you criticize them yet again.

You're one tough customer, Ron.
                      Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 11, 2009, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Re: What good is cake if you can't eat it?

Disregard. Duplicate posting.

Comment

I'm with FM on this one. The residents of Chinatown wanted more police, in order to enforce the laws. Well justice is blind, friend. D'Alani, you know I love you and I hope you get off with a warning, and I do think the cops should have given you a warning too, but I also agree that if you're in violation, you can't really complain. I respect that you aren't trying the blame the cops for doing their jobs.

People always treat me like some kind of contagious disease when they realize that I'm a borderline anarchist. At least I'm no hypocrite. Everyone insists that we need laws in order to maintain order; yet what so many of them mean is that we need laws in order to keep everyone else in line. If we don't want the traffic laws to be enforced, the power to change them is in our hands. The cops are doing the fricking JOBS we are paying them to do, and people wanna complain about it? Fine. Complain, and then have the laws changed. If you don't want to get a ticket for driving 30 in a 25 zone, either don't fricking drive 30 in a 25 zone, or do something to have the speed limit changed. Don't ask for police presence and then cry when the cops actually do the jobs they're getting paid to do.

Again, just for clarity's sake: I'm not coming down on D'Alani. I'm coming down on Chinatown residents who seem to think the laws need to be enforced EXCEPT the ones they happen to be breaking.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                            FM I am one of those who received a parking citation since the increase of police presence in Chinatown. I was parked on the corner of Maunakea and Pauahi in front of a fire hydrant, so I admit I was in violation. However I was sitting in my car with my motor running while someone was getting flowers from the shop on the corner. Two officers approached and one asked for my ID and registration, walked to the back of my car and began writing a citation. He came to the window stating that I am receiving two citations and instructions to contest it is on the back. I asked him if there would be no warning and he repeated what he said about contesting the citation, so I thanked him and drove around the block. I later noticed that for the vehicle information he wrote in "Parked vehicle" as if no one was in the car. The two violations were for parking in front of a fire hydrant and for parking where prohibited by a sign. Both fines are $35.00 each. I did not pay and instead wrote a letter admitting to the violation but explaining the circumstance and am now awaiting the judges decision. I know i was in violation so I did not contest the citations but am hoping the judge can understand my reasoning and maybe take away one ticket.
                            So yes I also feel they could be using a lot more tact in handing out parking citations.
                            Sweet heaven! In most places there is a distinction between "parking" and "standing." I don't know about HNL, but....
                            Parking is leaving your vehicle unattended, and standing is having a driver in the vehicle ready to move it, if necessary. Mutually exclusive.
                            It may be different in HNL, I don't know. DUMB!

Get a good lawyer. I have a good traffic lawyer, but "Frankie's Market" has said (without even knowing who he was) that because I posted a joke about radar, my judgement about attorneys was flawed, invalid. (I forget the exact words).

In any case, if you want a legal referral, I'm glad to give it. He got a dismissal for me! [big grin]

Knowing the exact law is half the battle. Which of us is qualified? A lawyer, or an 'unknown quantity, (FM)' or a retired cultural anthropologist?

I'd go with he lawyer.
                            Last edited by Kaonohi; May 11, 2009, 11:49 PM. Reason: ASSumptions re ASSessed.
                            ~ ~

Comment

Re: Chinatown shooting redux.

Just gotta get this off my chest.

Driving through Chinatown about a year ago, my spouse and I came upon a shooting victim. Police were arriving as we were.

My spouse is a medical person, and noticed that the HPD were not rendering appropriate aid. (i.e., CPR).

My spouse didn't have an appropriate barrier to prevent HIV infection, but that wasn't adequate reason to not save a life. Some people just have a greater commitment. My spouse does.

The person who was shot died anyway. But I'm proud my spouse put another life before their own, and gave CPR while HPD stood around with their hands in their pockets.

I'm told that HPD carries around tubes for breathing for CPR to prevent possible infection - I guess everyone left theirs at home that night.
                              Or maybe they were just glad to get another pimp off the streets.

(Rant over and out)

P.S. My spouse was not infected. The victim was not infected. Lucky us.
                              ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post

When you say that the officer could have used more tact in handing out the parking citation, was he acting in a rude or unprofessional manner? Or is it more a case of him not not being lenient and cutting you any slack?
                                He made no eye contact with me, he kept looking towards River Street and although obvious he never explained why I was receiving two citations. He also never asked me to shut off my engine. However I have learned my lesson and will always park legally whether an officer is around or not.
                                Last edited by helen; May 12, 2009, 09:07 AM. Reason: fixing the quote tag

Comment

Working...
                                X