Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Land Lease Renegotiation

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    A little confused on this provision, does it merely require the landowner to offer the land to the condo/co-op owners first before selling to a third party? Or does the provision require a sign off from the condo/co-op owners when the landowner wants to sell regardless to who?
    Good questions. See below for more details.

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    I think the news articles have indicated the landowner offered a buyout to the condo/co-op owners in the past as one of them mentioned they couldn't afford the price?
    Pacific Business News' article doesn't address it. The Advertiser merely parroted Iolani School's press release saying "the fee will not be available to current owner-occupants for purchase." And simply leaving it at that.

The Star Bulletin's Leila Fujimori dug a little deeper.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200..._new_land.html

Dale (a lessee) said the landowners made offers to sell the fee over the years, but it kept growing higher and higher. The last offer was $17 million and her fee share would have been $80,000, she said.

So an offer has been made in the past. But it's hard to say from that info alone if Sec. 514C-2 has been satisfied. Maybe it has, maybe not.

But in the same article, I noticed that this comment was made.

Real estate broker John Riggins said, "There's no recourse for lessees," after the city repealed the lease-to-fee conversion law for condos, townhouses and co-ops.

Riggins is referring to Chapter 38 of the Revised Ordinances of Honolulu, which provided for leasehold conversion of condos/co-ops on Oahu, until it was repealed by the city council in 2005. However, the repeal of Chap. 38 (a city ordinance) does not invalidate Sec. 514C-2 (a state law).

And here's another realtor's take on the matter.

http://activerain.com/blogsview/1140...kapiolani-area

Obviously, many lessees were hoping to see the fee offered on the units they purchased. It's not clear whether the purchase complies with section 514-C2 of Hawaii State Law.

§514C-2 Right of first refusal. When the leased fee interest in land under a condominium project or cooperative project or any part thereof is to be sold to any party other than the association of owners or the cooperative housing corporation, the seller shall first provide the board of directors of the association of owners or the cooperative housing corporation with written notice delivered or mailed by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, postage prepaid, to any two of the president, vice-president, or managing agent (if any), of its intent to sell that interest, together with a complete and correct copy of the purchaser's written offer, which offer shall contain the full and complete terms thereof. The association of owners or cooperative housing corporation shall have a right of first refusal to purchase that leased fee interest for the same price as is contained in the written purchase offer. [L 1988, c 298, pt of §1; am L 2008, c 28, §33]

There may be hope yet for lessees on Date and Laau Streets. I imagine some of the lessees are going to start making some noise about getting their first right of refusal to buy these properties. This could be in interesting show! It's a prime area for affordable living in town, close to the beaches and Waikiki. In recent years, lease prices of properties in the area have been in the $20,000 - $50,000 range, making them good investments for owner occupants as well as investors.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Wow!
      Thank you all for posing great questions and researching incredible info. Right on.

I have close friends that are owners...
      They feel that they got a good deal compared to renting a two bedroom apt. all these years.

While being renters ourselves(Mrs. Menehune & I)...
      We're paying 850/month for a really nice 1 bedroom with choice lanai, but no parking. A good deal, I think. Cool owner. Nice pool in the secluded courtyard, close friends live downstairs in their apt., etc...

Well, we've got 3 years+ so I'm hanging for a bit.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Date-Laau residents had a meeting the other night and voted on what collective action should be taken.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...nt_owners.html

http://www.kitv.com/video/21445820/index.html

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/...asp?S=11396766

There was a tie between suing to void the sale to Iolani School or ask Iolani for help with moving costs. While a lawsuit would have merit, it does carry some risks. If the lawsuit turns out unsuccessful and legal fees/delays are incurred as a result of fighting that litigation, will Iolani School be less generous when it comes to setting new rents after the present leases expire and/or providing financial assistance to displaced residents? The residents have some tough choices to make.

One more thing: I couldn't help but notice the flyer at the end of the KITV report, which urged residents to "bring your family & show Iolani School who will be displaced" at the meeting in Ala Wai Elem. School. And yet in the KHNL story, it was reported that a representative from Iolani School came to the meeting site, but wasn't allowed inside. Hmmm.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          I'm curious as to what the attorney suggested. Holding out for less?
          Jeff Portnoy
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1...rty-transition

It's interesting what I'olani School is offering to owners.
            Also we'll see what happens to be the 'fair market' rental price for the units.
            On December 4, 2012 the present land lease runs out. We spoke with our land lord and if nothing changes we'll use our deposit as rent for November and then deal with I'olani.

"Owner occupants that have been living there since the purchase date in 2009 will get $15,000 relocation allowance or have the option to stay in their unit as a renter.
            The other owners not living in their unit may get up to $1,000 for appliances.
            -----
            Absentee owners are considered investors and leaseholds are a gamble at the will of the lease and landowner.
            I'olani says the priority is people who actually live here and will allow renters to stay for at least 5 to 10 years at or below fair market rate for rentals in the area until the school is ready to expand the campus."

Comment

We had the inspection of our apartment while signing a year lease, paying the 1st month's rent and security deposit to Marcus realty for I'olani School today.
              We were told 7 to 8 years before our building will be demolished. Our rent did go up $100 per month under their ownership.

Comment

Working...
              X