Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bi-lingual people: In what language do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi-lingual people: In what language do you think?

I find myself thinking in Tagalog and speaking in English every now and then.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Bi-lingual people: In what language do you think?

My bilingual kids speak to me in English, but they dream and think in French.

I still do most of my thinking in English...but I have caught myself muttering to myself in French.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
      My bilingual kids speak to me in English, but they dream and think in French.

I still do most of my thinking in English...but I have caught myself muttering to myself in French.
      I dream and think in French. Sad little git. I understand Irish but would not dare to speak it.

Comment

Once - only once - I dreamt in American Sign Language, which I studied for a couple years. That was very cool; but it was so long ago that I've lost most of my vocabulary.

Comment

I'm not bilingual, but I spent two weeks in South Africa and started thinking in the accents I was hearing. That was cool.

Comment

English, but sometimes, if a word in another language better explains something, then I'll think of that word.

Comment

I think and dream in the language that I am fluent in when in that country for more than 2 weeks, otherwise it is in my mother tongue.

What I find interesting is that there are certain words in other languages that fit a situation better than words in the language in which I am conversing. These words will just pop out of my mouth without thinking about it, while leaving the other party with whom I am conversing with a quizzical look on their face. I will be speaking in Spanish and Tongan words and phrases will pop out. Only then do I realize I'm speaking in two languages at the same time!
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Do men and women speak the same language? Sometimes, you need a translation to what the other person is really saying.

Comment

Working...
                X