Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magic Island might be named to Barack Obama Park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magic Island might be named to Barack Obama Park?

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    What the Mufster really means is, "This might be MY only opportunity to name something after the President and take credit for it before I leave the mayor's office next year to run for Governor."
    I think this makes three times in a the past week I've agreed with you. One of us must be coming to his senses.

The mayor is famous (at least in my house; of course, I live alone) for saying stupid things that don't mean anything. What does he think he means when he says "it's not often we're going to have the opportunity to name something after him?" Don't we have every day for the rest of eternity? Things are still getting named after Washington and he died 200 years ago. Public sentiment is clear: if we have forever to do this, why do it now? There is only one answer, and I think even ardent Hannemann supporters see it. The mayor is posturing, and he's doing it in one of the most butt-kissing ways I've ever seen. I understand it when politicians posture; that's part of the job and I can live with it. But even a quick read-through of HT's posts on the President's Nobel Peace Prize would have made it plain that a suggestion like this would fall flat. This guy needs to fire his advisors.

What a bonehead.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

This is what you will be told if you ask me:

1. Magic Island is not the official name, but the official name is Ainamoana Beach Park.

2. The proposed legislation is renaming Ainamoana Beach Park to Barack Obama Beach Park at Magic Island not to Barack Obama Beach Park.

3. This proposed legislation will be before the City Council and you will have an opportunity to voice your concerns at that time.
      Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Mr. Barack reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite Cracker songs: "If you wanna change the world, shut your mouth and start to spin it."

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

According to today's Honolulu Advertiser, now there's even more places and dates that a few politicians want recognized in honor of President Obama, including a parcel of land on Kalaniana'ole highway and McKinley High School. Why McKinley High School (the article doesn't say)? Just change Punahou to Barack Obama School.

Notice the Advertiser "strategically" disabled the comments on this highly, highly, highly controversial subject/article, lest it melt down their server.
          Last edited by Pomai; January 2, 2010, 10:08 AM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Oh, while we're at it, let's change Honolulu International Airport to 'Obama International Airport' and Aloha Stadium to 'Obama Stadium'.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              According to today's Honolulu Advertiser[/URL], now there's even more places and dates that a few politicians want recognized in honor of President Obama, including a parcel of land on Kalaniana'ole highway and McKinley High School. Why McKinley High School (the article doesn't say)?
              Well, there is the matter of some native Hawaiian activists who consider William McKinley to be a historical antagonist, as he was the President who supported annexation of Hawaii. (In contrast to his predecessor, Grover Cleveland, who opposed annexation and urged for Queen Liluokalani's restoration to the throne.)

De-naming a school or a building isn't something unprecedented. A few years ago, a group of UH students and protestors successfully had Stanley Porteus' name removed from one of the upper campus buildings because of some controversial statements he made about racial temperaments in his first book.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I know presidents must be deceased before being depicted on currency or coinage. Not sure about public facilities bearing the names of living presidents; I don't know any offhand....

Names on things can change though: at the completion of the H-3 tunnels they were named after Tetsuo Harano, former State Highways administrator. In 2001, Gov. Cayetano changed the name to the John A. Burns Tunnels, after former governor Burns. Then in 2003, Gov. Lingle changed the name back.

Burns was dead, but Harano is still alive (last I heard), but Burns was a governor, an elected position, and Harano was just a state engineer and administrator, a hired, not elected, position.

Does it make a difference? Anyone know of a public landmark named after a living president?

K?
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  I know presidents must be deceased before being depicted on currency or coinage. Not sure about public facilities bearing the names of living presidents; I don't know any offhand....

Names on things can change though: at the completion of the H-3 tunnels they were named after Tetsuo Harano, former State Highways administrator. In 2001, Gov. Cayetano changed the name to the John A. Burns Tunnels, after former governor Burns. Then in 2003, Gov. Lingle changed the name back.

Burns was dead, but Harano is still alive (last I heard), but Burns was a governor, an elected position, and Harano was just a state engineer and administrator, a hired, not elected, position.

Does it make a difference? Anyone know of a public landmark named after a living president?

K?
                  Didn't Clinton have a library named after him. Despite his affair the name still sticks
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Didn't Clinton have a library named after him. Despite his affair the name still sticks
                    And why shouldn't it? Clinton's library was built entirely with private donations from his supporters. It's no skin off your nose or that of any other taxpayer.

Dick Nixon has his own (privately-funded) library too, despite Watergate.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      Anyone know of a public landmark named after a living president?
                      In 1998, Washington National Airport was renamed, controversially, to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Reagan was no longer President, but he was still alive at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        In 1998, Washington National Airport was renamed, controversially, to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Reagan was no longer President, but he was still alive at the time.
                        There's already a Barack Obama Elementary School in New York.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                          Mr. Barack reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite Cracker songs: "If you wanna change the world, shut your mouth and start to spin it."
                          Sorry to go off topic, but have you heard Cracker's 2009 album, Sunrise in the Land of Milk and Honey? What did you think of it? Don't reply here; I'm going to post my thoughts in that 2009 Music thread. When I get home later this evening.
                          Last edited by helen; January 3, 2010, 07:55 PM. Reason: adding a link to a thread
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

And why shouldn't it? Clinton's library was built entirely with private donations from his supporters. It's no skin off your nose or that of any other taxpayer.

Dick Nixon has his own (privately-funded) library too, despite Watergate.
                            Ho! Let's not get defensive about this FM it was merely a statement. Unlike Avatar which clearly had political overtones

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              Ho! Let's not get defensive about this FM it was merely a statement.
                              I have no idea where you think I was getting defensive over anything, Craig. I was just stating a simple fact.

If some twisted individual has an admiration for Benito Mussolini and has the money to build a statue of the dictator on private property with his own money in this country, he's free to do so. And it wouldn't matter what you or I think.
                              Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 4, 2010, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I have no idea where you think I was getting defensive over anything, Craig. I was just stating a simple fact.

If some twisted individual has an admiration for Benito Mussolini and has the money to build a statue of the dictator on private property with his own money in this country, he's free to do so.
                                yeah a simple fact with along with no skin off my nose. Okay maybe that's not defensive on your part but on mine. And stop rolling your eyes like that makes me wonder what you're looking at.

Comment

Working...
                                X