National Hat Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Hat Day

When did people stop wearing hats? Black and white movies had men wearing hats.

Re: National Hat Day

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    When did people stop wearing hats? Black and white movies had men wearing hats.
    Women too.
    I love to watch the Kentucky Derby and see all the women in their outrageous hats. The Queen always wears a hat - and carries a purse, what the heck does she need a purse for anyway? Like to carry her ID?

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
      Women too.
      I love to watch the Kentucky Derby and see all the women in their outrageous hats. The Queen always wears a hat - and carries a purse, what the heck does she need a purse for anyway? Like to carry her ID?
      Of course not! It's for her MAC-10. Britain, like all semi-constitutional/ parliamentary dictatorships, denies weapons to citizens but permits them for 'special people,' like celebrities (Rosie and Oprah), alleged targets (the Brady Bunch), good and bad law enforcers, felonious weirdos (Dog, the God hunter), legislators (usually carried by 'hired guns'), and other questionable special cases.

Her hat carries her Beretta, for back-up.

FWIW, I love my fedora with the owl-feather hatband, but I just hardly ever wear it! (I can't get the holster balanced adequately for quick draw in emergencies....)
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
        Of course not! It's for her MAC-10. Britain, like all semi-constitutional/ parliamentary dictatorships, denies weapons to citizens but permits them for 'special people,' like celebrities (Rosie and Oprah), alleged targets (the Brady Bunch), good and bad law enforcers, felonious weirdos (Dog, the God hunter), legislators (usually carried by 'hired guns'), and other questionable special cases.

Her hat carries her Beretta, for back-up.

FWIW, I love my fedora with the owl-feather hatband, but I just hardly ever wear it! (I can't get the holster balanced adequately for quick draw in emergencies....)
        You are funny!

My mom used to make gorgeous hatbands from pheasants and ducks my dad would hunt on the reservation, simply gorgeous. She gave one to us
        and it looks great on a woven hat! Although, I do have my dad's silver and turquoise hat bands that look nice on the ones I wear. I actually have a real hat rack with 24 pegs all full some with 2 hats on each peg!

Comment

I remember NFL films had a camera shot of a silhouette of a man with a hat. You knew that he could only be Dallas head coach Tom Landry.

Comment

I like hats on ladies and wear an occasional one myself.

I think Etta James says it best...
            You can leave your hat on

Baby take off your coat
            Real slow
            Baby take off your shoes yeah
            I'll take your shoes
            Baby take off that mess
            Yes yes yes

You can leave your hat on...
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
              I think Etta James says it best...
              You can leave your hat on
              Yep, also done by (among others) Joe Cocker, but perhaps best known is the Randy Newman version.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Uhhhh... Ye, yes madame...
                HaHaHa!!!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I love the fashions of the 40's (or at least the way they're portrayed in movies). The hats, the gloves, the stockings with the seams up the backs, suits or suits, and the hats for women. Double breasted suits, suspenders or braces, and hats for men. Everyone was always so dressed up- and they had much better manners. Wonder if there's any correlations between the two?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

http://tv.yahoo.com/photos/tv-s-top-...042381323.html

Cool Hats.

Comment

From my personal experience, men's hats went out of style prior to 1958. That's when I worked as a retail clerk in "men's furnishings" in a department store. I sold lots of hats, but hardly any to a man under 35. I found this comment in a recent thread:
                      In my part of the country (SoCal) hats routinely worn with business attire were pretty much an "old guy" thing as far back as the '50s. If you leave aside those of us who were little boys or mere striplings during the era when hats were routine business attire, that's going to rule out just about every man younger than 80 or so.
                      http://www.styleforum.net/t/344069/m...5#post_6276935
                      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                        From my personal experience, men's hats went out of style prior to 1958. That's when I worked as a retail clerk in "men's furnishings" in a department store. I sold lots of hats, but hardly any to a man under 35.
                        Style goes in cycles. Bruno Mars wears a hat.

Comment

Working...
                        X