Explosions near Waikiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explosions near Waikiki

Has anyone else in the Ala Moana/Waikiki area heard the 3 explosions over the past couple of days? The first was at 4am Thursday. Second one was 10:45am yesterday. The third just happened, about 9:25 tonight.

They don't sound like fireworks, don't elicit any emergency responders but do set off car alarms. They're just very loud, deep, bomb sounding explosions.

Hmmm...just heard a siren but have no idea if it was in response to the explosion.

Re: Explosions near Waikiki

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing but in my neighborhood we hear them all the time. It's those homemade "bombs" and yes they are very loud and sets off car alarms and depending how close they are set off it shakes the house. As the New Year approaches they are getting more frequent here in Kalihi.

Comment

They might be propane bombs — balloons filled with propane with a firecracker attached.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Maybe what Tutu heard was related to the filming of some movie or TV show, but more likely it was the propane bombs. I've only heard a couple over on this side recently, including one last night.
        In past years fireworks started going off the week before Thanksgiving, but this year it's been really quiet so far and only started picking up the past few days.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Would the propane bombs be as loud as standing on the beach under the weekly Hilton fireworks 'cuz that was probably the decibel level? So far friends in Manoa Valley, others near Don Quixote and still others in my immediate 'hood reported hearing those 3 exceptionally loud blasts. The DQ friends told me it sounded like the blasts happened in the street below their apt. That's exactly how they sounded to me; like they were in the street below my condo...and I'm a mile away from DQ.

I doubt any film production would receive a permit to set off an explosion at 4am!

Even one friend in Nanakuli reported hearing the blasts but somethin' tells me those weren't related to the ones I heard!
          Last edited by tutusue; December 19, 2010, 10:57 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Would the propane bombs be as loud as standing on the beach under the weekly Hilton fireworks 'cuz that was probably the decibel level?
            Yes, they'd be as loud. Or louder. The sound from the Hilton fireworks is waaaay up high in the air while the propane bombs are way down low and have a far deeper pitch. Plus if the PB was in Waikiki the sound would bounce around in between all those tall hotels, making it even louder. Similar to what happens every year during the Toys For Tots motorcycle ride through Waikiki.

I doubt any film production would receive a permit to set off an explosion at 4am!
            They could, but they'd have to alert the neighborhood wall in advance. After all, the Honolulu Marathon lights off a lot of fireworks every year at 5am. Did you hear those? Maybe not, since they're on the far side of Honolulu.

Probably no fireworks today, with all this rain. It's been pouring steadily since I woke up around 4:30am. Flash flood warning was just issued, with rain over 3" an hour. Apparently power is knocked out at Ala Moana Center. No shopping. Yay!
            Last edited by LikaNui; December 19, 2010, 11:35 AM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

All those responsible for the yearly marathon's disturbing of the entire city's peace at 5am should have TS's bombs exclusively ignited under their bedroom windows nightly.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                They could, but they'd have to alert the neighborhood wall in advance. After all, the Honolulu Marathon lights off a lot of fireworks every year at 5am.
                The Marathon gets that pass,.... but only because it's an event that is so important to the state's economy AND the race's start time has to be early in the morning.

It would take a very, VERY compelling argument for anyone else to prove the necessity of setting off a loud explosion at that time of the day. Through the "magic" of editing and visual/audio SPFX, most pyrotechnic scenes filmed at 8 pm can be turned into one that happens at 4 am. OTOH, the marathon start time can't be faked.
                Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 19, 2010, 01:01 PM.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  [...]After all, the Honolulu Marathon lights off a lot of fireworks every year at 5am. Did you hear those? Maybe not, since they're on the far side of Honolulu.
                  I hear them but they're not disturbing. They, and the starting gun, were disturbing when I was on South St.
                  [...]Apparently power is knocked out at Ala Moana Center. No shopping. Yay!
                  The reason...altho' power has been restored.
                  Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  [...]
                  It would take a very, VERY compelling argument for anyone else to prove the necessity of setting off a loud explosion at that time of the day. Through the "magic" of editing and visual/audio SPFX, a pyrotechnic scene filmed at 8 pm can be turned into one that happens at 4 am,. OTOH, the marathon start time can't be faked.
                  Agreed. I can't imagine a film, any film, being issued a permit for explosives for 4am. It would open it up for other productions to make similar requests. The marathon is an "institution" for the C&C and the State. Didn't the marathon used to start at 6am a coupla decades ago?

Comment

The marathon is an "institution" for the C&C and the State.
                    They should run around the red roof institution in Kaneohe then.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      All those responsible for the yearly marathon's disturbing of the entire city's peace at 5am should have TS's bombs exclusively ignited under their bedroom windows nightly.
                      The marathon is an "institution" for the C&C and the State.
                      They should run around the red roof institution in Kaneohe then.
                      This, ladies and gentlemen. From the man who's the first to cry and moan whenever the city bus fare gets increased.

What does he think tax money that subsidizes public services like TheBus comes from? From out of heaven?
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Aw, getting cabin fever already? The rain's only been for a day!

They can run around any time, and without annoying anyone, but noooooo.

BTW, the bus costs me next to 0.
                        C'mon, sing it with a Marley beat, you'll feel much better... no increases no cry, no increases no cry

Comment

Didn't the marathon used to start at 6am a coupla decades ago?
                          They certainly did. I ran four of them with a start time of 6 a.m. back in the 80s. Most ordinary runners take 4 to 5 hours to finish, which makes it 10 to 11 a.m. when they cross the finish line. The sun is too hot by then, which is why they moved the starting time to 5 a.m.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                            They might be propane bombs — balloons filled with propane with a firecracker attached.
                            Much louder are acetylene cannons. You likely remember them from your childhood (unless you are still in it) as "Big Bang Cannons (R)," aka 'carbide cannons.

These were 'charged' with calcium carbide dropped into water, which releases acetylene; then they are fired with a flint-type sparking mechanism. Cover your ears!

Nowadays explosive/noise geeks take a fabric or carpet tube, block one end and drill a 'cannon hole near the blocked end. An acetylene torch is used to fill the tube with a mixture of gas and air, and a spark or flame is applied to the touch-hole. You actually need to wear professional ear protectors to set them (and car alarms) off, unless you wish to damage your ears! Other than the "excessive noise" statute, it's legal. FWIW.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

BTW, the bus costs me next to 0.
                              Lucky you. Still, fuel, bus driver pay, mechanical maintenance,.... all that ain't free. When the tax revenue dries up, all those subsidized bus passes and vouchers goes a-POOF!!!

C'mon, sing it with a Marley beat, you'll feel much better... no increases no cry, no increases no cry
                              After you start singing with Bobby McFerrin,....

The Marathon race makes you cry like a babe,

Wakes you up at 5 A.M.

But don't worry. Beeee happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X