Could my apartment be illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: could my apt be illegal?

Yes, but where is she supposed to GO? It took her long enough to find this apartment, and I know you've been searching for others like crazy, TG. It took me two months to find a place there and my husband's company was footing the bill. I can't imagine trying to SUDDENLY having to move...not everyone has $2000 worth of savings stashed aside. I wish so hard I was still there, cuz you'd have already been set up in our house.

Just be careful that they don't do something and then try to blame it on YOU. I know how frusterating it is when someone tells lies about you. How do you prove them wrong? You are the sweetest girl I know, you don't even kill BUGS! And I've been even over to your apartment dozens of times when I lived there years ago, and she was so nice. What happened??
    Last edited by surlygirly; March 23, 2011, 05:07 PM.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
      Yes, but where is she supposed to GO?
      Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      TG, if worst comes to worst, and you need a yard to crash in, a tent- you got us.
      We actually have an acre, but only the yards neAar the house are suitable for camping. We can loan a tent, if necessary.
      Bettyer than being on the street, and we have a garage (carport) where you can store your goods.
      Hopefully you will find a new home before that, but id you need a place to crash let me know, and we won't turn you away. OK?
      TG, think about this generous offer (only in Hawai`i, yeah?); your safety may even be at stake now, as LikaNui noted.

Comment

I have been a landlord and I am well aware of the rules. What your landlord is doing is wrong. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that she cares about any of that.

I personally hate confrontations, but I think you're correct to stand up for what's right. And even if the apartment is illegal, I believe you still have rights as a tenant. If you have to move on a moment's notice because she rented you an illegal apartment, you might have cause for damages if you originally rented it with the assumption that it was legal. You can probably get your deposit returned, but there might be an action you can take against her in small claims court for moving expenses since she deceived you.

That said, have your "Plan B" ready. Where can you move in an emergency? Who can help you move and temporarily store your belongings? It's important that you document everything. All of her comments and actions. And make sure she doesn't try to pin the illegalities on you ("Oh I never installed that stove...that was the tenant"). I doubt that anything like that would stick, but she may use the argument just to confuse the issue.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
          Fire, Amati? Really? Sounds like you haven't had the 'luxury' of being a renter in a looong time. Imo, laws are laws and rules are rules, and if I have to abide by them, well so do others! Why should I cave in to bullying? Bite the bullet?That wont do anybody any good!
          Oh gee, I just gave the advice to get out before things get worse ... just 'cuz I like to see my own words. You are right, you do as you want. Stay put.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Soo? Wha happen? What did the judge say? Did he make LL give you notice or are you in the street (or in a tent at K's)?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

The tro hearing was really quick! I did most talking, and explained that she has no reason to be frightened of me, but that the past few days have been extra peaceful due to us not being allowed to contact each other. I gladly accepted the judge's decision to extend the protection order until after I move out! Legally, my move out doesn't have to happen until May! So far, I guess things are okay!!
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

[...]Legally, my move out doesn't have to happen until May![...]
                I'm curious...did the judge explain the 45 day notice law to LL or did the judge, basically, give you a verbal notice? I guess I still don't understand why that law was never cited or acknowledged by anyone during this ordeal of yours.

Comment

Well, its past 9pm on April 1st, and nobody has come to kick my skinny a$$ out on the street. Im thinking that the LL's tro action kinda put an end to all the cop-calling, relatives-threatening stuff.

SG reminded me of this thread, and its got me thinking. Anyways, I'm still here, and okay!

Oh, and TS, as far as I can tell, nobody has properly advised LL about anything! Everybody from the cops to the tro judge has always tried to mediate and separate us.

BTW - interestingly enough, she's got no "son from Texas" around. Hmmmm
                  Last edited by turtlegirl; April 1, 2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for checking in, TG. I've been somewhat worried about you and glad to know you're okay. Any luck looking for a new place? Is the TRO two-sided, so she has to leave you alone too? And did she give you an eviction notice yet?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: could my apt be illegal?

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      Thanks for checking in, TG. I've been somewhat worried about you and glad to know you're okay. Any luck looking for a new place? Is the TRO two-sided, so she has to leave you alone too? And did she give you an eviction notice yet?
                      Aww, thanks Lika! Its April 11, and Im still here!! Nobody came to kick my a$$ like they said they would! New place stuff is going slowly, but Im in no hurry cuz LL hasn't legally started the eviction process, and since I have to stay away from and not talk to the LL, things have been blessedly peaceful! (TRO might as well be 2 sided - if she comes near or talks to me, Im gonna run away!) Its great! Her family & friends quit coming around to threaten me! Im liking this TRO stuff, however, its making things a little difficult with moving. How do I provide references!? My reference has dementia!! And a TRO on me!
                      Last edited by turtlegirl; April 11, 2011, 11:01 AM.

Comment

[...]Im liking this TRO stuff, however, its making things a little difficult with moving. How do I provide references!? My reference has dementia!! And a TRO on me!
                        That was my concern for you and probably one of the many reasons others suggested leaving under your terms, before it came to what it is now. You'd still be dealing with a compromised LL but you wouldn't be dealing with a TRO. I hope her friends and family continue to leave you alone and not try to interfere with a potential new rental for you. Keep on keeping on, TG.

Comment

the best thing is just be honest with new landlords. explain to them what has happened, about the police calls you made, and the whole situation. if you present yourself as reasonable and can prove you paid your rent on time every month - you should be able to find an understanding new landlord.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            That was my concern for you and probably one of the many reasons others suggested leaving under your terms, before it came to what it is now.
                            Additionally problematic, I think that TROs are searchable through the Hawaii State Judiciary's public access to court documents -It really is not hard to get some basic info on people nowadays with all the internet accessibility, useful for landlords and employers, etc.
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Hi all!
                              OMG! It's June, and me & ll are stuck in some weird stalemate! I won't go without a proper eviction, and she still refuses to evict me! It's getting to be absurd! I don't know what to do except to stick to my principles.

Comment

Hi all!
                                OMG! It's June, and me & ll are stuck in some weird stalemate! I won't go without a proper eviction, and she still refuses to evict me! It's getting to be absurd! I don't know what to do except to stick to my principles.
                                This is funny! She can't give you a proper eviction, because she isn't a proper landlady.
                                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X