Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More sandbar shenanigans: dog attack

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    The reserve officer program seems to work for HPD. And with the proper training, screening, and resources, there's absolutely no reason why it can't work for DLNR. The first step is having an open mind.
    I'll be polite .)

The most important problem with having an open mind - dispite the Skepticics assertionj that your brains will fall out (Unlilkeley!) is that an openmind will allow others to drop thoughts INTO it - MUCH more devestating!

So, what or what shall we do?????

Closed mind: Certain death.
    Open Mind:
    Filtered: Consideration of new ideas.
    Unfiltered: Slavery.

So, be open-minded, but filter your thoughts through the fabric of reason.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The 4th of July weekend is here and so is DLNR's ban on alcohol within the safety zone at the sandbar.

KHON

KITV

“We are going to adhere to the rules. No alcohol on the sandbar; no being intoxicated...on the sandbar,” said boater, Brian Cox.

Cox said he doesn't disagree with the rules but he doesn't find the emergency ban on alcohol as necessary.

“The fights and all this kind of stuff is way overblown. I’ve been coming out here for about five years and seen about four fights,” Cox said.
      Unfortunately, Mr. Cox. One person dying in a senseless act of violence at the sandbar is one too many.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        One person dying in a senseless act of violence at the sandbar is one too many.
        A-freaking-men.

Comment

Pretty good story in today's Star-Advertiser at this link. They say there were only about 30 boats out there yesterday compared to the usual 200 on a holiday weekend. Looks like the new rules are keeping away a lot of the usual party animals. Hooray!
          I looked out there around 11am this morning and it seemed there were still only about 30 boats.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            There have been implications or outright statements in this thread that DLNR does not have boats. I was pretty sure that I'd seen some but not 100% sure, so I kept quiet. However, you can see a photo of one of them in this sandbar story in today's paper. They keep their boats on trailers for obvious reasons.
            Sometimes I don't complete the picture in my postings. For that I'm sorry.

The DLNR has boats, but don't patrol usually. I've never seen them in Keehi Lagoon.
            In otherwords more reactive than proactive. Maybe the light shining on the sandbar and their lack of maintaining a better handle on things going on out there will make them rethink and patrol not only on 3 day weekends but also in Keehi Lagoon area. Lots of thefts, drug/alcohol use, etc. goes on there daily. Anyways... Happy Fourth!
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

They say there were only about 30 boats out there yesterday compared to the usual 200 on a holiday weekend.
              I find it pretty sad, that people need to get stupid drunk to have fun and enjoy the company of others. Perhaps other people (and life) are too ugly without beer goggles on?

KITV said there were two dogs together, on the sandbar, when one of them attacked the 36 year old Japanese woman/worker.
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

I just have to think that the sandbar is the innocent bystander too. I feel horrible for the lady that got mauled. The dog though, it could have been anywhere w/ it's human, it could have attacked a kid at a parking lot, or a pedestrian while walking it. . .The locale has little to do with it. Booze or not, that isn't the dogs fault either, it is the owner. The owner is ultimately at fault. The owner should have control over it's animal.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

And here's today's story in the Star-Advertiser.

Kaneohe sandbar 'mellow' on holiday weekend

The number of boats at the Kaneohe sandbar increased slightly Sunday, but the state said the mood was mellow and cooperative.
                  Patrol officers with the state Division of Conservation and Resource Enforcement issued four citations, but none for illegal drinking or drugs, said spokeswoman Deborah Ward.
                  She said there were about 50 boats and 200 people at the sandbar or within the Ahu o Laka safety zone, where drinking and rowdiness and prohibited on three-day weekends through Labor Day. That was up from 30 to 40 boats on Saturday.
                  "The mood and ambience of the crowd at the sandbar was very mellow," said Ward, adding that the people there were "cooperative and appreciative" of the new rules.
                  Officers boarded 44 vessels and issued 15 warnings for improper or inadequate equipment, she said.
                  Officers also issued four citations, two for nonexistent or expired boat registrations, one for a traffic violation at Heeia Kea harbor and one for a parking violation, Ward said.
                  There were no safety zone citations on Sunday, compared to two on Saturday.

So they boarded 44 out of 50 boats? Interesting. And of the four citations, two were for traffic/parking violations at Heeia Kea harbor. Also interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                    I just have to think that the sandbar is the innocent bystander too. I feel horrible for the lady that got mauled. The dog though, it could have been anywhere w/ it's human, it could have attacked a kid at a parking lot, or a pedestrian while walking it. . .The locale has little to do with it.
                    If you read through the entire thread, and in particular, Like Nui and Menehune Man's earlier postings, I think you will see that in the case of miscreant behavior taking place at the sandbar, the location does play a big part in what is going on there.

To be precise, the root of the problems at the sandbar can be traced to DLNR not having rules that governed the use of alcohol or the control/handling of one's pet in that area. Since DLNR has jurisdiction and not HPD, it was up to the state department to come up with the rules, regulations, and means of enforcement.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

KITV's evening news tonight said there were about 60 boats out there today. That's well under 1/3 of the normal amount. Yay!
                      They also said there were 21 various officers around, with 12 on shore at Heeia Kea harbor and 9 out on the water.
                      There was only one alcohol citation and a few boating equipment citations, but that was it.
                      Clearly they need to make the new rules permanent.

Comment

As described on TV news tonite, all you gotta do is be seriously covert with your booze and you can continue as before.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Presence of a police force tends to curtail a riot. Why didn't Vancover bring out the troops when they anticipated a riot after the final of the Stanley Cup?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            As described on TV news tonite, all you gotta do is be seriously covert with your booze and you can continue as before.
                            Continue as before? Sure. But without the rowdy behavior, puking out your guts, playing music at dance club-like volume,..... y'know, the kind of stuff that's likely to arouse suspicion.

If you can drink in a low-key manner that doesn't impact the people around them, then I don't see any problem with that. It's up to you if you want to take the risk of getting pinched during a random check.

KITV's evening news tonight said there were about 60 boats out there today. That's well under 1/3 of the normal amount..
                            1/3? Hmmm. Makes you wonder if the bulk of those holiday visitors were there for the beauty and enjoyment of the area,.... or if they were simply looking for a place where anything goes, no rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              Presence of a police force tends to curtail a riot.
                              And let's remember that this is NOT the first year that officials have been at the sandbar on holiday weekends. For the past several years I've seen six to eight official boats constantly around the sandbar on holiday weekends, so it's clearly the new rules that made the difference.
                              On a side note, on KITV's news last night there was a young punk they interviewed who said this year was horrible and that it was such a shame that the sandbar has been returned to a peaceful family-oriented situation.

Comment

On a side note, on KITV's news last night there was a young punk they interviewed who said this year was horrible and that it was such a shame that the sandbar has been returned to a peaceful family-oriented situation.
                                A punk with no friends, maybe? Otherwise, someone would have told him about the party going on at Waikiki Beach.

Comment

Working...
                                X