Graffitti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Graffitti

Glen's post slipped in before mine. That link is awesome!

Comment

That's pretty cool I think! No damage done and maybe those walls will just get cleaned faster after "Moose" does his thing?!
      Refering to Glen Miyashiro's post #179.
      Last edited by Menehune Man; October 3, 2006, 01:36 PM.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
        There's a guy in England who cleans the grime off of public walls and sidewalks to make his designs. Is it graffiti?
        I would say that this is not graffiti.

Moose is simply cleaning a wall and forgetting to clean the whole thing

Comment

When you're leaving Māpunapuna to head to town on the Moanalua Freeway, you pass over a bridge over Moanalua Stream. The stream is channelized, with concrete walls covered in graffiti to your right. I noticed that somebody has gone and painted over the graffiti -- but not in a big solid block, which would just give taggers a fresh clean surface to work on. Instead, it looks like this person used a paint roller and put big zigzags of grey paint over the graffiti, covering about 50% of the graffiti-ed surface. This destroyed the visibility of the graffiti but also left the surface messy-looking enough that nobody else would try to put fresh graffiti on either.

Comment

I can't help but wonder if the "big zigzags" are simply the mark of another tagger, then! haha

Comment

Indeed! Obviously what we need are two well-matched gangs of graffiti artists. Those with big pens, and those with big erasers. I liked Glen's link, too. Sort of like writing "WASH ME!" on a dirty car, but on a grand, artistic scale.

I do agree with Doug that oftentimes, the 'paintovers' are sometimes as much of an eyesore as the underlying graffiti. Given that lingering visibility basically encourages more, I guess it's the lesser of two evils. But if the end game will basically be a surface that's completely painted over anyway, I'd just start there rather than blotchy touch-ups over time.

For all my griping, though, I guess I should find a graffiti clean team and donate some money and paint... if not elbow grease.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                there was an article on grafitti i read in the paper or the weekly about a retired guy who went around and did this. it occurs to me, in a way, isnt this also considered grafitti? =p
                In a way, flyers are grafitti. In a way, storefront signs are grafitti. In a way, street signs are grafitti. In a way, bumper stickers are grafitti. In a way, murals are grafitti. In a way, parking signs are grafitti. In a way, all of things qualify more as grafitti, than painting over grafitti on the wall with the same color that the wall was before someone sprayed grafitti on it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

WOW! TuNnL!!!! Very Artistic!
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hey everyone. I noticed my site got linked a few pages back, so I thought I’d drop in to illustrate the thread with a few photos of local graffiti.

More here: http://www.23hq.com/dubside/favorites.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        In a way, flyers are grafitti. In a way, storefront signs are grafitti. In a way, street signs are grafitti. In a way, bumper stickers are grafitti. In a way, murals are grafitti. In a way, parking signs are grafitti. In a way, all of things qualify more as grafitti, than painting over grafitti on the wall with the same color that the wall was before someone sprayed grafitti on it.
                        so, in a way, murals, flyers, storefront signs, street signs, bumper stickers, and parking signs should be painted over?

note: i am not approving that anyone should just write on the walls or disapproving of an individual spending his time and money to cover up graffiti.
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                          so, in a way, murals, flyers, storefront signs, street signs, bumper stickers, and parking signs should be painted over?
                          Hello!?! Anybody home? They already are painted over - by grafitti. This is the whole point of my sarcasm.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Aloha, mahalo to the people cleaning up the graffiti. i like to see Hawaii clean no need all this stuff on the walls. if i like see art i go to a place where its displayed nice.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              In a wayIn a way, all of things qualify more as grafitti, than painting over grafitti on the wall with the same color that the wall was before someone sprayed grafitti on it.
                              Its not the same color, its battleship gray, or at least the ones i've seen. So on say a blue wall you get a big gray block.
                              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by dubs View Post
                                Cousin, keep your grafitti to yourself, brah. I'm not trying to look at that doo-doo. Seriously. You should go to art school, or start all over from scratch. Learn to paint or something, cuz your grafitti "career" will not take you far. Your "art" looks like some kindergarten class project. Sorry.

That's the problem with most taggers, they think they have talent, or they think their artists. Thus they wanna share their "God-given talents" with the world. Yeah right! Half the time they're just outcast loser kids who want to get noticed. Join the high school football team or something, instead. Oh, I forgot, many of them (like Phyto) are waaay outta high school, and they still don't have talent.. 99% of the pieces, especially in Hawaii anyway, are wack! Tag up your own walls, or maybe your parents' walls, that way nobody but yourself has to look at your own mess. Better yet, keep your stuff limited to your sketch book, that way you won't hurt my eyes, cuz I'm not trying to see that. We don't need your graffiti anywhere in Hawaii. Straight up.

Comment

Working...
                                X