Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie T. Gets Pied

Pie-Faced
    Why throwing a pie at someone who deserves it is one of the most celebrated traditions in our so-called culture.
    Like many forms of artistic expression, it was appropriated for political theater. Levitating the Pentagon is all well and good, but in the 1970s, nothing beat pie-ing a politician. And no single person was better than Aron Kay, a.k.a. The Pieman. He’s retired now, but Kay is still proud that he left former Democratic Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, ex-CIA chief William Colby, conservative den mother Phyllis Schlafly, liberal California Gov. Jerry Brown and so many others with egg (and cream and fruit filling) all over their face.

Comment

During a book signing yesterday, Jane Fonda was spit upon with tobacco juice from a Vietnam Veteran that waited in line for 45 minutes to see her during a book signing. I see this as very similar in terms as what happened to Augie T. It was unwelcomed. Regardless of the person's profession, if it is unwelcomed, it should not be accepted. I know that this will probably stir up the mud on this thread, but I just wanted to point out the similarities and if that changes if you believe these types of actions are acceptable or not.
      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Well, I'd say the "similarities" end with "political statement." A pie, especially in Augie's case, was introduced with as much dark humor as criticism. A vet spitting on Jane Fonda, quite obviously, is an act of pretty deep-seated hate. Further, both emotionally and chemically, the difference between a pie and a glob of tobacco-tainted spit is considerable.

One could be hit with a pie and be mad, or humiliated, or simply chagrined. I don't think there's ever a positive reaction to spit.

Comment

Not to mention, tobacco juice is nasty and toxic. By contrast, I don't think you can get cancer from a pie.

Comment

Correct, I acknowledge that there is a big difference between a pie and tobacco juice. I also agree that Augie T. has hurt his image by his actions making people think he can't take it (but as a comedian he can dish it out). But I feel the bottomline is "was this action welcomed or not, despite the reprocussions or toxicity of the action" Remember, sexual harrassment is based on how the victim construed the actions, not the intent of the person being accused.
            Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              By contrast, I don't think you can get cancer from a pie.
              You're not going to get cancer from tobacco juice sprayed on your face either.

And Moto makes the point I tried to stress earlier - no matter how the victim handles it, there's no mistaking that it is simply wrong to pie someone, spit in their face, etc.
              Last edited by Palolo Joe; April 21, 2005, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe

And Moto makes the point I tried to stress earlier - no matter how the victim handles it, there's no mistaking that it is simply wrong to pie someone, spit in their face, etc.
                It all boils down to the fact that many people in this country don't show respect for people or things. It's OK to disagree, but not in ways that could physically hurt the other person. Kids nowadays aren't being taught to respect anyone but themselves (and sometimes not even that), and they rationalize outrageous behavior by saying that they're simply "expressing their opinion". Hell, if I did something like that, my okole would have gotten kicked soooo hard by my parents...That's also why you have road rage, teen suicide, gang banging, etc.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

But the truth to the matter is: Did the pie taste good!

I read in the Hawaii Free Press that this lady did scream some pretty tasteless words to Augie and that was out of line with the character of the stunt and for that I can see Augie getting bent out of shape for that. I mean a joke is a joke until you start swearing and meaning it.

George Carlin and the likes swore but it was for a laugh and not to piss his audience off. As in the words of Carlin: Okay Sheriff we're gonna f*@k ya now but we're gonna f*@k ya slow!" One of his many jokes to replace the word kill with f*@k in today's movies.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                    Well no, probably not from a one-time spit in the face. But chronic tobacco chewers do get mouth and throat cancer much more frequently than everyone else, so the stuff's not harmless either.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                      I read in the Hawaii Free Press that this lady did scream some pretty tasteless words to Augie and...
                      yea!
                      she hollered:
                      "Tofu! water! cardboard! Light beer! Any american beer! nonfat cottage cheese! reality TV!"

Comment

Stop Stop oh those disgusting words! I'm gonna press verbal assault charges now
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

not to be outdone, others are getting in on da ak.
                          yea. I no bulai you:
                          inside sources tell me that Andy Bumatai will be "caked" soon at some undisclosed venue.
                          And soon, deLima will be "malasada'ed" also.

and Mel Cabang has chosen a Napolean's bakery spey shull. Whatevah is on sale that day.
                          so as to keep da costststs down.
                          eh. he da moz akamai buggah.

Comment

Nothing wrong with Augie being pissed. You would be pissed too if it happened to you.

Comment

Ahhh, today is August 24, 2005! Am I misssing something?

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; August 24, 2005, 09:41 PM.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                                Ahhh, today is August 24, 2006! Am I misssing something?
                                Yep, you are.
                                About a YEAR.
                                It's 2005, Auntie!

Eh, no whack-whack me, k?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X