Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Change your coins

Originally posted by Hellbent
    this is besides the point, but i recall an article where a pissed off lady paid her $80 parking ticket in pennies, which wasnt illegal. there was a reason for her paying in this manner in regards to the bill. for some reason that popped in my head.
    It's not illegal to settle a large debt or pay for expensive goods with excessively large quantities of small change, as long the payment receiver agrees to being paid in that manner. The payment receiver however, is not obligated to accept large quantities of change...many stores, retail outlets, and (especially) taxing entities, i.e., city and state governments, have the right to refuse tendered payments of greater than 25 coins at one time. They can demand that any payments to be made be done so in a more efficient manner, such as high-value currency ($50 and $100 notes), negotiable bearer instruments (checks and money orders) and credit cards.

Many town goverments, tired of being paid in pennies by the occasional irate receipients of traffic citations, or those protesting a tax bill which was calculated as a result of what they felt was too high of a property assessment, have invoked some arcane US Mint law concerning to what extent they must accept large quantites of change. And from what I recall, 25 coins is the maximum quantity of coins any one must accept from a debtor...accepting beyond 25 coins is strictly at the option of the funds receiver.

Comment

Working...
    X