Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: carp at ala moana

Originally posted by shaveice
    hmmmm... some interesting twists and turns. interesting comments. and thanks for the link to the article from the star bulletin. missed that one.

firstwahine, toyo theater? where was that? i don't recall the fish!
    Toyo Theater, was located on College Walk. Right off Beretania and across Aala Triangle--by the skating ring). Sadly, it is no longer there...progress. During it's day, Toyo Theater was the place to go to watched samurai movies made in Japan. The landscape and Koi was absolutely beautiful to behold. Somehow as children, we knew that it wasn't good to even think about destroying someting so serene...we just knew. The caretaker would let us help him feed the koi and answer the boy's questions on many film stars and even protrayed himself as a Samurai...we never found out if it was true or not.

Thanks for asking. The memories are always good to remember...

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
    Last edited by 1stwahine; June 23, 2005, 09:54 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      Toyo Theater is located on College Walk. Right off Beretania and across Aala Triangle--by the skating ring). Sadly, it is no longer there...

Then is ISN'T "is located on College Walk".

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        an area about 10x20' fell into what was a huge underground cavern filled with sea water. It was an interesting sight to behold seeing reef fish swimming around down there like some kind Aquarium exhibit.
        Hey Craig: What's the repair strategy like for something like this? I'm super curious.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          Hey Craig: What's the repair strategy like for something like this? I'm super curious.

Lastest breaking news;
          "New aquarium slated for Ala Moana location!"

Comment

As for repair, I believe it was simply backfilled and patched. It is widely known about underground water passages throughout Kakaako as well as the light-grey clay matter layer around the five or so foot level underground that is all over the sea-level areas around Oahu.

Regarding the other two springs, I'm not too sure about their locations however one old timer once told me that one was near the corner of Ward and Ala Moana BLVD.

Another spring that dried up that has some significance is the fountain at the band stand in Kapiolani Park.

There is this man-made fountain made from lava rocks cemented together standing just under 8-10 feet high. It's the only structure left standing when the band stand was rebuilt under the Harris Administration.

At the base of the now dried up fountain is a bronze plaque that covers a 100-year time capsule. This capsule was buried on Kamehameha day 1977 and contains all four hours of the Ron Jacobs/KKUA radio show on 10-1/2" NAB reel to reel tapes among other items from 1977. At the time I recorded the last 45-minutes of his show on cassette tape and have since archived that part as a digital copy on two hard drives and two cd-roms. I back up everything every year to preserve it because when that time capsule is opened in June 2077 I don't think those tapes would survive.

I don't think I'll be around either but my plan is to have these digital copies archived somewhere on the internet such as Mel's Hawaii Radio and TV guide archive links. Some familiar voices from the past are on there including Keala Kai, the old Hawaii Raceway park commercials introducing: Gentleman Jack Cambra as well as radio commercials from The Ritz and others.

Mel I'm still waiting for an address to send you CD copies of this show, including a rare Ron Jacobs/Mackey Feary radio interview also recorded back in 1977.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

let's see. it's 2:46 am right now and i think most of you sane people are asleep right now but i wanted to post this much earlier. anyway, i took my daughter to ala moana yesterday afternoon (friday) in a stroller and hey! some of the carp are BACK! not as many as usual but they're back.

if they were poisoned, i hope the jerk never returns.

craig, you've lived a really interesting life! all kinds of experiences. cool.
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Heck I'm only 45 but it's been a great ride so far! This is why I tell adults in their 20's that just because life sucks for them in the "now", there's a heck lot more of life that'll come pouring into you for years to come. Really, life gets better once you get over that "I" "Me" period typically observed in the 20-something age.

Anyway, there's always treasure to be found everywhere, so keep looking and reading cuz I'm always amazed at the things I find out, even on this message board!
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                X