X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii wrestling stars...

Originally posted by lurkah
    Why else would KimosWahine spend her time "picking up after Kimo55"

eh. can ya blame me if I like how she bends over?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

eh. can ya blame me if I like how she bends over?
      Oh. But what I had in mind was more along da lines of one poopah scoopah.

Comment

Kden I going tell you dis in advance den...

BLABBAHMOUT!!
        K'den. I going guess right now how many laulau leaves going be left on your plate from da luau...about 20, yeah?

Getting back to da topic...I grew up on 50th State Wrestling, too. My favorites were Tallyho Blears and Neff Maiva. I also liked Billy Tallchief. A college friend is married to the daughter of Gorilla Monsoon. I don't like today's WWF stuff. Too much "show" and not enough wrestling. Dem old time guys really knew how to wrestle. Nowadays, too much blood and gore. Is Ed Francis still around?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

There were several venues for 50th State All-Star Wrestling. There was Bloch Arena in Schofield Barracks, The Civic Auditorium where the First Interstate Building on S. King street is now, and of course the studios of KGMB-TV where the Channel 9 Newsdesk is right now.

I used to go to the Civic and KGMB for those fights. The "ring" at KGMB was so small it looked like a playpen. When I was keiki time, there was this big Hawaiian lady (Like sumo big) sitting on a couple of folding metal chairs in the front row at KGMB's site. I think there was only a few of us there as there was very little room left for a crowd. I was sitting about three rows back with my friend Bruce and his dad when the two wrestlers continued the brawl outside the ring right in front of this lady.

Ho man this lady was so scared she turned around and bolted out the door making a beeline right thru the back row of seating. Unfortunately the three of us were directly in the path of Hurricane Tutu and we ended up getting bowled over. I remember my friend was tangled in the mess of chairs and I was laughing my ass off.

You shoulda seen the look on that lady's face, PRICELESS MAN! But I think the look on my face was worth twice that. Imagine one major Tita charging directly towards you and all you see in slow motion is metal folding chairs flying left and right as this mound of flesh and fat comes blasting into you...then it's all over like a tornado...and you see the wake of destruction from the path of this lady and some bent studio doors flapping open in the back of the room. Now that was entertainment.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Ho man this lady was so scared she turned around and bolted out the door making a beeline right thru the back row of seating. Unfortunately the three of us were directly in the path of Hurricane Tutu and we ended up getting bowled over. I remember my friend was tangled in the mess of chairs and I was laughing my ass off.

You shoulda seen the look on that lady's face, PRICELESS MAN! But I think the look on my face was worth twice that. Imagine one major Tita charging directly towards you and all you see in slow motion is metal folding chairs flying left and right as this mound of flesh and fat comes blasting into you...then it's all over like a tornado...and you see the wake of destruction from the path of this lady and some bent studio doors flapping open in the back of the room. Now that was entertainment.
            Hahahahaha! This would make one good local sketch...the vision of one supa tita flapping her way through the sea of folding metal chairs and lesser human beings being tossed aside like opala on da side of da road...ROFL.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You shoulda seen the look on that lady's face, PRICELESS MAN! Imagine one major Tita charging directly towards you and all you see in slow motion is metal folding chairs flying left and right as this mound of flesh and fat comes blasting into you...then it's all over like a tornado...and you see the wake of destruction from the path of this lady and some bent studio doors flapping open in the back of the room. Now that was entertainment.
              You sure she wasn't a planted part of da show? If not, they should've paid her!

Comment

"
                I guess Hawaii had a good history with wrestling, but I don't hear much about it today. Further, I hear a lot about kickboxing and other "extreme martial arts" that strike me as more cruel spectacle than sport. Has wrestling's day just passed, and other, "flashier" stuff taken the space and the limelight? Or are there still serious wrestling folks and leagues and events that are just flying under the radar?
                "

Hmmm. A legitimate question posed in Kimo's thread, which he conveniently sidesteps

didn't sidestep. i just am not at all interested in or familiar with the current national wrestling/martial arts/boxing milieu.
                I was into the local stuff back then cus it was local, and now, i am into it cus it's nostalic and old school, "good ol days of small keed time" which this other extreme national junk is not at all related to...

Comment

There were several venues for 50th State All-Star Wrestling. There was Bloch Arena in Schofield Barracks, The Civic Auditorium where the First Interstate Building on S. King street is now, and of course the studios of KGMB-TV where the Channel 9 Newsdesk is right now.

I used to go to the Civic and KGMB for those fights. The "ring" at KGMB was so small it looked like a playpen. When I was keiki time, there was this big Hawaiian lady (Like sumo big) sitting on a couple of folding metal chairs in the front row at KGMB's site. I think there was only a few of us there as there was very little room left for a crowd. I was sitting about three rows back with my friend Bruce and his dad when the two wrestlers continued the brawl outside the ring right in front of this lady.

LOL that's some funny chit...Hurricane Tutu lol. By the way, Bloch Arena is in Pearl Harbor, the sub-base side. My dad was in the Navy and worked at what used to be called Cincpac (the Naval HQ across Kamehameha Hwy) and used to bring me and my friends to watch wrestling there once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                    I remember being able to stay up Friday nights to watch Hawaii wrestling on TV. Then do it again on Saturday afternoon. The Missing Link rocked... I think his thing was the bear hug and remember he had the claw. He would be getting the crap beat out of him then he would get up grab his wrist of his claw hand. The crowd would go wild and of course the other wrestler would get all scared... then he would grab the other dude in the gut with his claw til the guy "tapped out"... ahhhhh the memories!

Oh yeah, my dad took me to a couple at Bloch Arena. I passed that yesterday and thought "wow that thing is still there?".

I believe you have mixed up the Missing Link with the Masked Executioner. The Masked Executioner was the one with the claw. He would grab his wrist to double the strength of his claw. Kenji Shibuya, had a different type of claw. He would get you under your jaws and put you to sleep. Very colorful characters of yesteryear.
                    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Moto

I believe you have mixed up the Missing Link with the Masked Executioner. The Masked Executioner was the one with the claw. He would grab his wrist to double the strength of his claw.
                      What an odd buggah that Masked Executioner was. Sometimes during a wresting match he would just space out like he was having some kind of seizure and they'd all have to wait until he finally became coherent again. The Missing Link had a different type of claw hold where he would lock his large hand around his opponents' faces until they'd submit before their skulls got squashed.

Comment

Who was da referee! He was an old man that would get belted once in a while from a freak miscommunicated staged blow.

Remember Sammy Steamboat (what was his last name; Mokuea or something like that)
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Who was da referee! He was an old man that would get belted once in a while from a freak miscommunicated staged blow.

Remember Sammy Steamboat (what was his last name; Mokuea or something like that)
                          Lord Tallyho Blears used to love telling about how referee Wally Tatsumi was a karate expert. Sammy "Steamboat" Mokuahi also was da head coach of da Hawaiian Warriors outrigger canoe club.

Comment

What an odd buggah that Masked Executioner was. Sometimes during a wresting match he would just space out like he was having some kind of seizure and they'd all have to wait until he finally became coherent again. The Missing Link had a different type of claw hold where he would lock his large hand around his opponents' faces until they'd submit before their skulls got squashed.
                            Ahhh I stand corrected... thanks Moto and Lurkah. I almost forgot about the wrestling midgets...errr "little persons". That was funny as hell.

Comment

I wanted to proudly state that Neff Maiava is now my Uncle as of 2 weeks ago. He and my Auntie *My father's sister* got married. He's in the hospital right now, recovering from a broken hip and they got married there at Tripler I do believe. It's neat to welcome him into the ohana.
                              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Neff Maiava was always one of the "good guys". I still remember when Gene Kinninski bet Neff that he could not be elevated by only his hair, well, of course Neff did get hoisted by his hair, only to be paid by check which Gene dropped and as Neff picked it up, got kicked pretty badly. The Insult to injury was that the following week, during the interviews, Neff announced that the check bounced when he tried to cash it.
                                Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Working...
                                X