Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I go to print out a full size art piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I go to print out a full size art piece?

I just finished my homework for a class, and now I need to print it out. The thing is, that it has a lot of color, and my Mom would be angry if I used her printer (plus, that printer sucks for color printing).

Is there a place that is open today (or before 10am tomorrow) that I can just print it out for a small fee? (and it needs to accept a USB thumb drive because that's the only media I have to spare, unless they can use my iPod)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Where can I go to print out a full size art piece?

Originally posted by doc1456
    I just finished my homework for a class, and now I need to print it out. The thing is, that it has a lot of color, and my Mom would be angry if I used her printer (plus, that printer sucks for color printing).

Is there a place that is open today (or before 10am tomorrow) that I can just print it out for a small fee? (and it needs to accept a USB thumb drive because that's the only media I have to spare, unless they can use my iPod)
    Adrian:
    I'm assuming that by "full size" you mean 8.5'' by 11''. There are a lot of places you can go, but I know of places in town and you live in Waipahu. Still, if you want to take the bus, there's always Kinko's, one of which I know you're already familiar with. You'll pay bucks, but Kinko's is a life-saver and it knows it. Another option would be to go to NetStop, which is just a few stops further down the A Express line; the bus continues down Kapiolani, then turns up Univesity Avenue. When it crosses King Street, get off at Puck's Alley and cross King to NetStop. I've made some decent color prints there for not too much money. You'll have to pay for computer time, so it's a good idea to have everything ready to go. What format is your file in? It's worth a call to see if they've got the relevant application software, but they've got most of the usual stuff.

Make sure you set your print options to the highest quality before you print. It uses more ink, but they don't charge you more 'cause they don't know you're doing it.

On the other hand, you might just run down to the computer store and pick up some new ink and print it at home. That might cost more, but at least you're paying for something you'll be using in the future, and you won't be running all over town.

Or go to WalMart and buy one of their cheap printers. Then you can use it however you want with nobody scolding you. There's probably a LexMark printer for quite cheap.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

email it to the closest kinkos. they can print it out any size you want. But you must be specific.

Typically you would save it at 150 dpi, about half inch in on all sides of the actual paper size you choose. Otherwise, you goin get some of yer art cut off on some sides.
      save as one layer, RGB, as a jpeg

"full size" is not specific, nor is it a size.
      It is vague.
      Do you want 8.5 x 11?
      11 x 17?
      a wall banner?
      blueprint/plotter kine? ask them what sizes and costs they have to offer.
      what paper?
      card stock? matte finish? high gloss?
      ya gotta know what ya want before ya ask for it.
      Last edited by kimo55; September 5, 2005, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Good points, especially the 'submit online' piece (it can look just like a local printer in your Windows system).

Why travel all the way to a Kinkos location just to sit and wait for them to get around to your job (a wait that can be hours long)? With their online submission tool, you can set all your specifications (provided you know them in advance), then just go down there only once, to pick it up.

Provided they didn't mess it up.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          "full size" is not specific, nor is it a size.
          It is vague.
          Do you want 8.5 x 11?
          11 x 17?
          a wall banner?
          blueprint/plotter kine? ask them what sizes and costs they have to offer.
          what paper?
          card stock? matte finish? high gloss?
          ya gotta know what ya want before ya ask for it.
          So many options with the pics I have

Man, I really need a steady income.

Comment

Speaking of full time jobs...have you talked to Best Buy and the Geek Squad? They're looking for help in the Honolulu area.

A woman I know up here said she would recommend the techs at Geek Squad for any job related to computers. She had a problem with a network setting once and thought she would get her business manager to fix it. That person charged her $20/hour and spent something like 10 hours working on it and still couldn't get it fixed. She called in the Geek Squad (they charge by the job, not by the hour) and she said 2 youngish looking guys (she said they looked about 18, but then most techs look eternally young anyway ) showed up and fixed the problem in about 7 minutes!

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Speaking of full time jobs...have you talked to Best Buy and the Geek Squad? They're looking for help in the Honolulu area.

A woman I know up here said she would recommend the techs at Geek Squad for any job related to computers. She had a problem with a network setting once and thought she would get her business manager to fix it. That person charged her $20/hour and spent something like 10 hours working on it and still couldn't get it fixed. She called in the Geek Squad (they charge by the job, not by the hour) and she said 2 youngish looking guys (she said they looked about 18, but then most techs look eternally young anyway ) showed up and fixed the problem in about 7 minutes!

Miulang
              No car. It'll take me about 15 minutes to around waipahu, not to mention from city to city.

And da Kinkos File program thingy no like work. I print from Photoshop, and then progress bar no like show, even though I block the 4 other computers from acessing the router so dat I get free access (dang its good to be the system admin ) and I enable full access through the firewall.

Comment

And da Kinkos File program thingy no like work. I print from Photoshop, and then progress bar no like show, even though I block the 4 other computers from acessing the router so dat I get free access (dang its good to be the system admin ) and I enable full access through the firewall.

(some people's children... i swear.)

O.K., Doc.
                I am gonna repeat myself oooonnlyyy one time here.
                EMAIL... "email it to the closest kinkos. they can print it out any size you want. But you must be specific."

You call yer closest Kinko's.
                You ask for their direct specific individual store's email addy.

ok thus far?

good.
                then... you tellem yer gonna send blahblah whakkywickywonkywhatevahs. ok?
                they will prolly correct you.
                Ya gotta send what they can print.
                ask them. THEY are taking YOUR money so they otta help YOU.
                be direct and don't wimp out. TELL them what ya wanna do.
                DO not lettem send ya to that sucky web site crap online registration boohash timewastin' hairpullin' headache-inducin' merrygoround garbajjjh.

You are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  EMAIL... "email it to the closest kinkos. they can print it out any size you want. But you must be specific."

You call yer closest Kinko's.
                  You ask for their direct specific individual store's email addy.
                  But its due tomorrow. I arrive at school at around 9:00am (the store opens at 7am) so I have a few minutes to get ready for class.
                  Oh, I did mention the first part didn't I? sorry

Comment

But its due tomorrow.

then send it now.

Comment

I think the Kinkos by University of Hawaii is open 24-7. Go real early tomorrow or go now over there. You don't want to go at 7 in the morning to the Kinkos at Kapiolani only to be slightly late that someone else's big job is there before yours! Remember your job is not the only one Kinkos or any other printer is outputting. The later you send it in, the more likely a rush fee may be added if you need it at a certain time too close to the time you first arrive.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Or you can go to WalMart where they're selling $28 color printers. Walmart is open 24/7
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          Or you can go to WalMart where they're selling $28 color printers.
                          That's what I said.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

No car. It'll take me about 15 minutes to around waipahu, not to mention from city to city.
                            All you have to do is get to the Best Buy. The Geek Squad has its own fleet of cars that they send the techs out in to do the jobs. And I think they send the techs out in pairs, so you would be working alongside someone else. How far away are you from Best Buy?

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The good news, is that Kinkos has my picture downstairs. The bad news, is that their color printer is being repaired and it'll take them about 30 minutes to print it, and I have less than 33 minutes to class!!!

EDIT: I just came back from the class, and everyone commented on how great it looks. I told them that I got it printed from kinkos for $2, and everyone was surprised (probably because I have it set at a high resolution, and Kinkos used photo paper).
                              Last edited by adrian; September 6, 2005, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X