Blind Dates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind Dates.

Has anyone ever been on a Blind Date? I have many times and they never ended on good terms. One time I dated this one women she said that she was hot sexy and beautifull and when I seen her she was anything but that. I thought "Hey O.K. she's big and rounded I can deal with that, I want see if she is as sweet as she is on the phone." That turned out to be a HUGE DISASTER and not as I expected. She was practicly RUDE to our waitress to everyone around her, while trying to be funny and SARCASTIC. "I was like, so your different in person, RUDE AWAKENING!" I am going out on Friday again, but with someone else any ideas for first dates?
    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Re: Blind Dates.

Originally posted by Pedro
    Has anyone ever been on a Blind Date? I have many times and they never ended on good terms. One time I dated this one women she said that she was hot sexy and beautifull and when I seen her she was anything but that. I thought "Hey O.K. she's big and rounded I can deal with that, I want see if she is as sweet as she is on the phone." That turned out to be a HUGE DISASTER and not as I expected. She was practicly RUDE to our waitress to everyone around her, while trying to be funny and SARCASTIC. "I was like, so your different in person, RUDE AWAKENING!" I am going out on Friday again, but with someone else any ideas for first dates?
    This might help you get out of a date if it's not going too good...arrange with a friend to call you on your cellphone about an hour or so after your date starts. If you're not liking how it's going, talk calmly to your friend on your phone and pretend like s/he's calling you about some big emergency. Then, if you want to end the date, just make an excuse, like "I'm sorry. I have to go. My bathroom flooded and I have to go take care of the mess."

Another way (too late for this date, but maybe you'll have a better time this Friday ) is to make that first date a lunch or for coffee. That way, your exposure to the other person is limited, and if you like each other, you can certainly arrange for another date. Having a first date at night with someone you don't know is never a good idea, IMO, because there are too many expectations.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

why not be upfront and not fabricate an obvious lie...

"I am sorry, but I don't think this will work out.
      Buh Bye!"

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        why not be upfront and not fabricate an obvious lie...

"I am sorry, but I don't think this will work out.
        Buh Bye!"
        Because maybe some men are more chivalrous than others?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I've never had a blind date, but I agree with Kimo on this one. If you used that cell phone tactic, don't you think your date would be able to tell that you're trying to bail? In my book that shows less respect for the other person than just being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Because maybe some men are more chivalrous than others?

Miulang
            it's more chivalrous to assume a lady can handle the truth, and offer it to her, rather than have her intelligence insulted by being handed a lie.
            If the one sentence method is too direct, have a discussion about it. But subterfuge, underhanded ploys, games, lies should never be confused with chivalry.
            Last edited by kimo55; September 7, 2005, 10:38 AM.

Comment

But you're guys. Women are wired differently. Anyway, I would never go on a first date that was a night time date. I would go for coffee or lunch at the most the first date.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                But you're guys. Women are wired differently.
                Miulang
                wow. Miu. i am surprised. you are telling us ALL women want to see and hear some fake, badly acted, ridiculous lie thrown at them rather than have the man tell them what is going on in THEIR own mind. This teaches people to lie and not communicate. I don't believe in teaching people to lie, or promulgating the bad habit.

human beings, regardless of their sex, religion, age, sexual preference, color, etc... ALL deserve the truth and open honest clear communication. And chivalry in this instance, means the guy tells the gal, honestly without caustic remarks, criticism, or childish selfish reasoning...
                maybe that is what yer used to and why you have an aversion to it.
                Last edited by kimo55; September 7, 2005, 10:45 AM.

Comment

wow. Miu. i am surprised. you are telling us ALL women want to see and hear some fake, badly acted, ridiculous lie thrown at them rather than have the man tell them what is going on in THEIR own mind. This teaches people to lie and not communicate. I don't believe in teaching people to lie, or promulgating the bad habit.
                  No, I'm saying some people are psychologically stronger at handling rejection than others. And it happens that as a gender, males are taught that better than women. And I still would only go for coffee or lunch on a first date.

Miulang

Comment

Advice: Never, ever eat the women's food esp. steak!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

"No, I'm saying some people are psychologically stronger at handling rejection than others. "

OH... ok, SOME people. that's different.
                      well, then we see there is a chance for the individual to GROW stronger in that area. No need to reinforce the weakness.
                      heck. why go thru like protecting yourself from experiences, lessons and ways of growing stronger in areas that need work?

"And it happens that as a gender, males are taught that better than women."

hmmmmm, I dunno, about that generalisation, either...

"And I still would only go for coffee or lunch on a first date."

Still? someone trying to convince you otherwise?
                      That always is a good idea. Blind date = short lunch and if it works out, sparks fly, fireworks, trains plowing into tunnels, nasa rockets shooting upwards, then a dinner date is planned.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                        Advice: Never, ever eat the women's food esp. steak!

Auntie Lynn
                        what th' !
                        where are you finding these cretins, aunty!?

No, don't tell me.

I think it's safe to assume most all present would not require that admonition...

Comment

Funny, true story.
                          I was in high school and it was the summer prior to my junior year. I was friends with the drum majorette and her boyfriend. They were a beautiful couple. They said they had a friend that they wanted to set up with me, go on a double date. I'm all excited. I tell my mom and she says I have to be home by 10pm. I was mortified! embarrassed! I couldn't believe it. But I agreed just so I could go. WELL. This guy was tall, skinny, scary. He might have been nice, but I was again mortified! We went on our date and I swear I wished my mom said I had to be home by 8 or 9 o'clock!
                          I will admit I was 16 and not the worldly woman I am now, so I was not wise enough to scratch beneath the surface to see if this guy was actually as great as he was advertised to be.
                          I learned blind dates don't work for me.
                          That was my ONLY blind date.

In another thread I mentioned that I like setting people up. But not as individuals meeting alone. More like at a family gathering, for coffee with me refereeing, etc. I don't think it's a smart idea to meet someone cold.

Pedro, good luck in your pursuit of love and romance!
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Still? someone trying to convince you otherwise?
                            That always is a good idea. Blind date = short lunch and if it works out, sparks fly, fireworks, trains plowing into tunnels, nasa rockets shooting upwards, then a dinner date is planned.
                            Heehee! Your description here sounds like the prelude to a trainwreck.

Oh yeah, Pedro, like Lavagal said, I hope you have a great date Friday night. Hey waiddaminute! Didn't you just move to Oahu like last month?

Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; September 7, 2005, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                              Sounds like internet dating!

Yeah, I've been on a number of those. Sometimes they really work out! Most of the times.. its a mismatch.. but still fun anyways.

A few times its a complete clash of personalities! In which case, after the obligatory hour of meeting, I've excused myself and went home! (or out eslewhere!)

Comment

Working...
                              X