Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Once Was...

Originally posted by pzarquon
    And... it's on the tip of my tongue... what was the coffee shop at Nimitz Highway and Lagoon Drive that's now a Kia Motors lot? Coco's? I remember using that as a landmark for directions way back when, but now I'm not sure who'd remember (as I've clearly forgotten!).
    That was Kelly's Coffee Shop out on Nimitz... used to eat breakfast at Coco's back in the day, when the front entrance used to face Kapiolani Blvd.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      Yes.

The faceless woman of the Drive Inn, was my Grandmother...shot in the face by my grand father who then comitted suicide! I'll write about it in my BLOG November! Ohhhh...da spooky!!!!!!

Auntie Lynn
      eek x 2 I feel funny /shiver

Comment

The old Waialae Drive In. Yes that old story of the faceless woman in the women's bathroom goes back to the early 60's.

Then there's Oasis Nightclub on old Waialae Avenue which is also a public storage place (same company that owns the one at the old Waialae Drive In)

The old Sears building where the old Police station was (torn down and now is the site for a retirement home)

Mynah Bird drive in later called Jolly Roger's home of the Suzie Q. Then when the Waialae overpass was built, all that echoing noise scared away all them Pidgeons that roosted on the roof of that eatery. Yes Pidgeons, I don't know what happened to the Mynah birds...I think the ended up in that big Banyan tree behind Varsity Theater and Church of the Crossroads.

Remember the Ranch House in Aina Haina? It became Rockchilds and The Metro with it's gaudy neon lighting. Shut down and is now the site of a Jehovha's Witness Kingdom Hall.

The first McDonalds in Aina Haina is still there. I remember in 1967 when it first opened, a Big Mac cost a whopping 65-cents! As the commercial went...There is nothing so clean as my burger machine...you deserve a break today...so get out and get away...to McDonalds!

And then there was the Waialae Shopping center now known as Kahala Mall. Longs Drugs and Star Market are the only two surviving tenants still there since day one. McDonalds at Kahala Mall was the Waialae Bowl's coffee shop run by my former co-worker's dad Mr. Kanno.

What's left of the Honolulu Stadium better known as the Termite Palace? Next time you go to Stadium Park in Moilili look at those burms. That's where all the piles of wood remain. When I walked the park with my kids years ago I always wished some surveyer had made a GPS location of home plate as I walked around the approximate area where it should have been.

Then there's the former infamous address: 404 Piikoi Street home of Records Hawaii and the Lewers and Cook building behind it. Now it's not even that address anymore with the Hawaiki Tower sitting over it's remains.

The everchanging landscape of Honolulu is why I left my beloved city I grew up in...it has changed too much and now I hardly recognize it the way I knew it. So sad
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Oh the memories. Thanks Craig!
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
            That was Kelly's Coffee Shop out on Nimitz... used to eat breakfast at Coco's back in the day, when the front entrance used to face Kapiolani Blvd.
            I know where Kelly's was, on the mauka side of Nimitz, where the gigantic motorcycle shop now stands (as if you needed more proof that Harleys are priced by the value of the name in the market, not to the quality of the product). I'm talking about the round, wooden structure on the makai side, across from -- wait for it -- where Honolulu Ford used to be! It looked/looks like a smaller sister to Anna Miller's. Wasn't that a restaurant at one point? Or am I imagining this whole thing?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

I know where Kelly's was, on the mauka side of Nimitz, where the gigantic motorcycle shop now stands (as if you needed more proof that Harleys are priced by the value of the name in the market, not to the quality of the product). I'm talking about the round, wooden structure on the makai side, across from -- wait for it -- where Honolulu Ford used to be! It looked/looks like a smaller sister to Anna Miller's. Wasn't that a restaurant at one point? Or am I imagining this whole thing?
              That was the old South Seas Restaurant on the corner of Lagoon Drive and Koapaka St.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                The one across Kelly's was South Seas. Hardrock Cafe was Coco's. Lot's of Disco Dancing during my days and eating breakfast after...nuff said. LOL

Aunty Lynn

Oh, yeah...Lurkah, Nice job on the researching of South Seas. You caught my switch. why am I thinking Tradewinds? Where was Tradewinds?
                Last edited by 1stwahine; September 14, 2005, 05:52 PM. Reason: forgot the k
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah

That was the old South Seas Restaurant on the corner of Lagoon Drive and Koapaka St.
                  Mahalo for researching that answer, lurkah.

Comment

Anyone remember going to the neighborhood theaters on Saturday to watch cartoons? On this side had Kalihi, Palama, and Liliha Theaters that had sort of like a cartoon club. At the end when you left everyone had a free soda or ice cream. If your birhtday was that month you had a piece of cake. I think it was 10 cents or 15 cents.

Comment

Auntie...this is all one big dream...go lay down now pretty soon it will be 1965 again...hanabuttah and all ladat. But wen you wake up, rememba Craig wen nevah shoot da rubbah band at your forhead at school okay was Kimo!! Wasn't me!!
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        Auntie...this is all one big dream...go lay down now pretty soon it will be 1965 again...hanabuttah and all ladat. But wen you wake up, rememba Craig wen nevah shoot da rubbah band at your forhead at school okay was Kimo!! Wasn't me!!
                        Now, you got me wondering! You went Kaiulani? You da Criag dat wen shoot da rubber band in my forehead? Wea you said you live now? I catching da plane! Or was it glen that lives on the Big Island? You two always gets me confused...I'm always confused as it is! Auwe. And don't blame Kimo. He hasn't answered my PM but I not mad.

Aunty Lynn

Comment

...why am I thinking Tradewinds? Where was Tradewinds?
                          Aunty, I think Tradewinds was in Waikiki where Todai stay now. They had the first topless waitresses, and then Dunes started with the waiters.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani
                            Aunty, I think Tradewinds was in Waikiki where Todai stay now. They had the first topless waitresses, and then Dunes started with the waiters.
                            Oh, yeah...I remember it well now. Oooops. Nuff said.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Moving over to the Country side of Oahu, Waipahu Towne Center with Longs, Sizzlers, etc now sit on the site where many movies were shown at the Famous Royal Sunset Drive Inn. The Car Dealership next to the shopping center close to McDonalds is where Clock's Drive in once was. The home of the 22 cent Hamburger. Zippy's in Pearl City is where Scotties in Pearl City once was (There was one in town too near Rainbow Rollerland). Across the street in the shopping Center where Flamingo's in Pearl City now stands, used to be the home of Bluebird Drive inn.
                              Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

And don't blame Kimo. He hasn't answered my PM but I not mad.
                                yea, ain't it pure heck...
                                "instant gratification takes too long", eh...
                                I hate that too!
                                Last edited by kimo55; September 15, 2005, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X