Can you swim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you swim?

I'm tired of people on the mainland telling me to go out and surf when its a beautiful day (and I complain about some problems that I can't solve). I tell them that I don't know how to surf, much less swim, and they're always surprised at what I respond. If fat floats, then I can probably go to Molokai, but the last time I tried to float, I almost drowned.

So, I just want to know who can swim?
    Yes
    85.71%
    No
    14.29%
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Can you swim?

I learned to swim as a kid at the neighborhood swimming pool. There aren't as many community pools around as there used to be -- at least, not ones in good repair. Gee thanks Mayor Harris!

Comment

hellyea.
      swim, surf, bodysurf, sail, sink, float, drown in beer...
      anything having to do with da wattah...

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        I learned to swim as a kid at the neighborhood swimming pool. There aren't as many community pools around as there used to be -- at least, not ones in good repair. Gee thanks Mayor Harris!
        pool?!

we are surrounded by the most beautiful beaches on da planet.
        try em sometime.

Comment

Learned to swim at Palama Settlement and took Advanced swimming and diving from YWCA Richards...forward 40 years -- I FLOAT!

Auntie Lynn

Farrington High School Pool was great too!
          Last edited by 1stwahine; September 16, 2005, 06:05 PM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            pool?!

we are surrounded by the most beautiful beaches on da planet.
            try em sometime.
            Oh sure, these days I do. But growing up we didn't live right next to the water so it wasn't easy to just go to the beach. I was at the beach maybe once a week, but the pool was there almost every day.

Comment

...no. Well, I can, float. Oh, I learned how to freestyle, sort of. So maybe I can swim. I tend to thinking of swimming as something you mostly do underwater, and I definitely can't do the underwater thing. If you drop me in the deep end of a pool, chances are I won't come back up. But I can paddle my way across, prolly.
              myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                Oh sure, these days I do. But growing up we didn't live right next to the water so it wasn't easy to just go to the beach. I was at the beach maybe once a week, but the pool was there almost every day.
                we grew up aalapapa st. lanikai. 4 houses from da beach.
                then later, kukui gardens honolulu. but got over often to kailua and laie for swim, for camp... pupukea, pounders.... all over Haleiwa...

Comment

Just an observation.. but I saw very few people actually swimming in Waikiki.. they'd usually wade in or paddle something around.. but don't recall seeing anyone actually engaging in the act of swimming.

Or was I just not noticing?

Comment

I've been a water baby from way back and am making sure my kids are, too. I started swimming when I was four and joined the swim team when I was six and swam competitively through high school. From then on I was a lifeguard every year and renewed my Red Cross certification when required. When I got here, I was in the USAF and it was 1981. I was getting out and was applying to be a C&C Lifeguard. I was passing all of the tests but was offered a job with Kaiser Permanente running computers so I figured it would be best to go with a firm that provided 100 percent medical benefits.
                    So, instead of becoming a lifeguard, I got an indoor job, but continued to hone my surfing skills. I don't like surfing with a leash, so swimming does come in handy--sometimes!
                    @
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
                      Just an observation.. but I saw very few people actually swimming in Waikiki.. they'd usually wade in or paddle something around.. but don't recall seeing anyone actually engaging in the act of swimming.

Or was I just not noticing?
                      It could have been a Jelly Fish Warning Day or Da Dawg Day! Either one you get stung bad. The Jelly one is real. The Dawg is Phoney! ROFLMAO

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I first grew up in Puako. In the tide pools and beachside Kawaihae. After moving to Oahu, I went to school at Makapuu I love the ocean and swimming. Never did learn to surf though. My daughter's first home was a boat we were living on so I taught her to stay afloat as an infant. She loves to swim too.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

water baby here,I have an open water II scuba cert and love the mystery of hunting in the ocean ya never know what your gonna run into even the chance of becomming the prey adds to the attraction.Moving to puna I think I will mostly free dive since its what my local friends are into and gives the game better odds
                          Doc when you get some time find a trusted friend thats comfortable in the water and get over that fear man,the oceans the source bro be a part of!
                          Off the record my wife did way better with her lessons after a class of wine shhhhhhh

Comment

I grew up on a lake. I learned how to float before I could walk, and learned how to swim shortly after that. So long ago I don't remember not being able to swim.

Comment

I learned during small kid time taking swimming lessons---the teacher was that Velasco guy...I think he was a sports coach or something?...anyone remember? Anyway, was kind of fun. He made us repeat the saying, "If you don't pee in my pool, I won't swim in your toilet."

Speaking of swimming, when I was at Kamehameha, you had to either swim or run in freshman year. I chose to swim (2.2 miles, if memory serves), and it was hilarious. I think it was at Ala Moana Beach Park. Where we started off, it was so shallow that your knees would hit the sand. I mean, we could've probably crawled easier. Every so often I'd look up to see my mom yelling from the shore, and I heard her say, "Just keep swimming straight!" I was towards the end of the group and decided to stop putting my head up to see where I was going and I started swimming like crazy. Then I finally looked up and saw that I was swimming AWAY from the shore. Yikes. And no one saw! Auwe!
                              Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Working...
                              X