"Small world, eh?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Small world, eh?"

Pomai, I hope you don't mind my using your quote to start this thread.

In another thread, Pomai mentioned that:
    Hawaii is a relatively small place, and you never know who you'll come across... hence we always say, "small world eh?". Hawaii's certainly not a good place to burn bridges.
    I've always felt this way, or learned the HARD way that this is a very true statement.
    What experience have you had that made you say, "Small world, eh?"

Some of mine are:
    1. Working at a school on the leeward coast, I find out half way through the semester that the mom of one of my students was my high school classmate.

2. Someone was going to have me write a letter against one of the teachers I knew at LCC, but I didn't. Later on, I ended up working for her at UH at the art department.

3. Getting a teaching job which landed me next door to one of my classmates from my grad program. Good thing we get along!
    Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Re: "Small world, eh?"

Lets just say that one of the girls I was interested in was related to me.
    (it wouldn't have worked out anyway, but that scared me.)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
      Lets just say that one of the girls I was interested in was related to me.
      (it wouldn't have worked out anyway, but that scared me.)
      I was thinking about that earlier, Doc! Hawaii is just so small. I'm sure that's happened to others as well. It's funny how you can go to a party and find SOMEONE you know or are related to. Recently at my small grad party I found out that my sister-in-law worked in the same bldg. as my co-worker's husband. I mean, it's not really a big deal, but just proves that Hawaii is a small world (er, island!).

Comment

28 years ago while in 10th grade at Roosevelt High School a group of us local haoles were smoking da kine behind "N" building when a group of Native Hawai'ians came down the hill and tried to relieve us of what we had left in our pockets. There was a scuffle and some blood, but nothing too bad when the campus security guard yelled it was over. Now I'm working together with one of the fellows from the other group and we laughed about it earlier today.
        Small world, eh?
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
          Now I'm working together with one of the fellows from the other group and we laughed about it earlier today.
          Small world, eh?
          Yup, that's Hawaii for you!

Comment

I was in da mall in Mesa, AZ. I was in da battroom washing my hands wen dis lady said "Excuse me what part of Hawaii are you from?" I said "Waipahu, how you know I from Hawaii?" She pointed to da lady next her and said "We're from Wahiwa." Anden at da same time all us tree(3) stuck out our left hand out showing our Hawaiian bracelet. Hawaiian ID yeah. Long story short so happens they are classmates of my bestfriends kid sista. Small world yeah.

~Lika
            ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

"Small world" moments are a regular occurrence if you live in Hawai'i, especially if you have family here. Here's the one that made me shake my head and laugh. It's kind of complicated:

My stepdaughter's uncle's daughter's grandfather turned out to be my mother's first cousin.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                "Small world" moments are a regular occurrence if you live in Hawai'i, especially if you have family here. Here's the one that made me shake my head and laugh. It's kind of complicated:

My stepdaughter's uncle's daughter's grandfather turned out to be my mother's first cousin.
                Bruh ~ Dis might be one scarry thought but dis is real commom in communities where I use to live.

~Lika
                ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
                  I was thinking about that earlier, Doc! Hawaii is just so small. I'm sure that's happened to others as well. It's funny how you can go to a party and find SOMEONE you know or are related to. Recently at my small grad party I found out that my sister-in-law worked in the same bldg. as my co-worker's husband. I mean, it's not really a big deal, but just proves that Hawaii is a small world (er, island!).
                  This small world stuff happens frequently in my casting sessions. My favorite is the time I was auditioning for (hmmm...can't remember!) but the demographics called for Hawaiian males within a certain age range. At the end of the casting session 2 of the guys were still in my waiting room talking like a coupla magpies! Turns out they were 1st cousins, both living on Oahu, and hadn't seen each other in 28 years!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric

If you have family here, you're right, there will be many "small world" moments. One of my cousins had overheard the name of our 2nd cousin's boyfriend/husband (we're not sure what they are) and she kept saying, "Who?!? Who?!?....No way!...What's his name?..." Turned out to be a classmate she really didn't like. Oh well, he's "family" now.

Btw, that relation does sound complicated! I always thought one should be careful if dating someone of the same background, especially here in Hawaii!

Originally posted by tutusue
                    At the end of the casting session 2 of the guys were still in my waiting room talking like a coupla magpies! Turns out they were 1st cousins, both living on Oahu, and hadn't seen each other in 28 years!
                    What a fortunate meeting! You just never know who or where you're going to run into someone on this island!

Comment

Working...
                    X