• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yer fave catalogs...

what're yer favorite catalogs?

mine are
    edmunds scientific
    Johnson Smith
    old banana republic, (before they were bought out and the look completely ruined...)
    jc whitney...

this is cool:
    http://www.3000freegoodies.com/?AID=1510765&PID=1824452

and dig this; seems to be darn near a definitive catalog source.
    http://www.kk.org/helpwanted/archives/000038.php

Re: yer fave catalogs...

Originally posted by kimo55
    what're yer favorite catalogs?[...]
    The ones that don't have me on their mailing lists!

Comment

Gotta go with L.L. Bean or Lands End.

Comment

1. Campmor
        2. Restoration Hardware
        3. Lehigh Valley
        4. B&H Photo
        5. Sultan's Delight

I grew up in South Jersey and a few years ago on a visit back I brought my wonderful nerd of a husband to the Edmund Scientific store there. He was a kid in a candy store. I think we were there hours. I'm just glad I didn't have kids at that point or I would have pulled the plug on that one for sure. Came away with some really valuable stuff, like geode book ends!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
          1. Campmor
          2. Restoration Hardware
          3. Lehigh Valley
          4. B&H Photo
          5. Sultan's Delight

I grew up in South Jersey and a few years ago on a visit back I brought my wonderful nerd of a husband to the Edmund Scientific store there. He was a kid in a candy store. I think we were there hours. I'm just glad I didn't have kids at that point or I would have pulled the plug on that one for sure. Came away with some really valuable stuff, like geode book ends!

Make that LEE Valley

I also like Levinger

Mind you, I mostly browse, but I rarely buy!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

No doubt about it....the Johnson Smith catalog! Wow..is it still printed? I sort of forgot about it until I saw Kimo listing it as one of his favorites.

That catalog was a blast to read; the artwork alone of exploding cigars and grandmothers unknowingly sitting down on whoopee cushions, all of it in a 1950's style comic book art fashion, was always worth a laugh or two everytime I perused through it.

And the Edmonds Scientific catalog? What a blast from the past! I'm dating myself here, but I remember browsing through that catalog and being in total amazement of this cutting edge electronics they were selling at the time. It was equipment that could synchronize music with light. At the time, I thought that was just the most wonderous of things. And the light/fiber optics goodies they sold...that was just too cool, at that time, too many years ago...at least more than I'm going to admit to.

My current favorites are:

Crazy Shirts
            NFL Shop (Pick the team of your choice)
            Road Runner Sports

Also: Not a catalog, but close: I love the pull-out sections, included in the Advertiser, of the current goodies on sale at Long's. I read those from front to back to see what they have on sale, be it senbei, Hawaiian Sun six packs, or the latest in rice cookers. A lot of good, local kine things to be read about in the Long's pull-outs.

Comment

In this day are printed catalogs relevant? Most all the firms that offer a catalog also have an online presence from where you can buy products and get the latest updates. Companies like Sears have long discontinued catalogs since they are very expensive to produce.

I used to get several printed catalogs in the past, but today I only receive a few:

C Crane Company
              B & H Photo
              J & R Music World

I used to get Mac Connection, MacZone and Mac Wharehouse. Now it is easier just to go to the Apple Store (at Ala Moana or online), Amazon.com or other online merchants to get Mac stuff. Locally I still go to both Mac Made Easy and MacMouse.

My favorite catalog of all time? The Christmas catalog from Sears Roebuck, long discontinued along with their big catalog.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                In this day are printed catalogs relevant?
                maybe not as much since the advent of ecommerce thru web sites, but if you clik that first link, you will see many companies have only a calalog and many others have much in the catalog that they don't offer in the web site....

It's like books, they will never become irrelevant no matter how convenient it is to read on da web... many still want that tactile reading experience...
                Last edited by kimo55; January 2, 2006, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  [...]It's like books, they will never become irrelevant no matter how convenient it is to read on da web... many still want that tactile reading experience...
                  Not only that but it's difficult to highlight text on a computer screen unless the book is in Word...which they're not!!! And, I don't wanna take my computer to the beach or to bed...my 2 favorite places to read! I think books are here to stay.

Comment

Oooooh... Aaaaaah... Oh wow! The Johnson Smith catalog. Man, that brings back some memories!

I spent far too many Christmas and allowance dollars on crud from that catalog. The Secret to Spoon and Key Bending, X-Ray Specs, Pet Rock, How To Throw Your Voice, Spy Camera... I could go on for days. (Plus, the catalog would be sprinkled with "adult" items. Naughty fun for a kid to read about!)

I also enjoyed getting the latest Mac Warehouse in the mail. Because (A) I'm an Apple freak, (B) I always wondered if Cindy in the corner of the page would really answer the phone when I called, and (C) it was so nice to dream about getting that PowerBook 540c. Never did, but now I log on to apple.com to drool at the Quad G5 PowerMac with the 30" HD Cinema Dislplay.

Other favorite reads:
                    * J&R Music
                    * Sam Ash
                    * Victoria's Secret. Wait... what? I mean, my wife likes that one.

Comment

yea. victorias secret. the secret mostly is airbrushing.

Comment

http://www.sensuallyyours.com/ Nuff said!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                        X