Valentine's Day Plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valentine's Day Plans?

Love it or hate it, the day of hearts and roses is upon us. What are you planning to do to celebrate -- or protest -- the holiday of romance and love? Go out to eat someplace nice? Stay home and make something special? Wear black and mutter "humbug" and rant about this "commercial construct of the greeting card industry"? Any special gifts or gestures in mind for that special someone? Or just for yourself?

Re: Valentine's Day Plans?

Spouse is working, so we celebrated at home last night with salad nicoise and champagne, our annual tradition. We don't go out for this particular holiday, it's a drag getting rushed by the waiter. Pity the poor suckers who need to pay $100 to get roses delivered to their honeys at work. I work in an isolated office, so no need. Maybe if I were in a big ole newsroom, then I'd want something like that. Tonight I'm helping the girls make valentines for their classmates.

To those of you proposing or making up, good luck! Godiva truffles work for me!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Got an early Valentine last week...my daughter's visit and the Bali for din-din.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Wear black and mutter "humbug" and rant about this "commercial construct of the greeting card industry"? Any special gifts or gestures in mind for that special someone? Or just for yourself?
        The minor bummer part is that this year's Valentine falls on a Tuesday instead of a Wednesday. Would be nice to eat a pint of ice cream while watching Lost, instead I will be doing it while watching Commander in Chief or Boston Legal.

Maybe I might wear black or navy blue on Tuesday but I don't think I will be muttering "humbug".
        Last edited by helen; February 13, 2006, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Speaking of Valentine's Day...

I just wanted to wish everyone here a Very Happy Valentine's Day.

Aloha. Ahui Hou.

Hope you all have an awsome day!!.
          Aches & Pains
          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

I am wearing navy blue today. I haven't said humbug yet.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
              I haven't said humbug yet.
              In a manner of "speaking," you just did.

I have a friend who has horrible "dating karma," so he hates V-Day. But he traded in his "dating karma" for "parking karma," and always seems to get incredible parking spaces, wherever he goes. Go figga.

As for me and the AF, we never make special plans for V-Day (except using it as another excuse to exchange a card and little gifts), as our life together is syrupy and celebratory all year long (awwwwww....)

We also celebrate White Day on March 14.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

We also celebrate White Day on March 14.
                This reminds me of the first Valentine's I celebrated with my ex-hubby. He is Japanese and very matter of factly informed me that he expected chocolates, flowers and all the sorts of things women in Western culture expect. It was a measure of my infatuation that I readily went along with this - he neglected to mention the White Day aspect so I was quite surprised when that day came along and the thoughtfulness was returned.

Now, back on topic, the dearly beloved is out and about purchasing ingredients for his famous (in our house anyway) paprika crusted flank steak with orange-paprika aioli, tossed greens with fresh fruit and raspberry vinaigrette and, I can't forget, crab cake appetizers made from Roy's recipe. I have lovingly wrapped the new noodle bowl I found (thanks to glenmiyashiro and tutusue for their advice on locating the bowl) and prepared an appropriate card. I like Valentine's Day.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                  This reminds me of the first Valentine's I celebrated with my ex-hubby. He is Japanese and very matter of factly informed me that he expected chocolates, flowers and all the sorts of things women in Western culture expect.
                  I wonder if he also expected giri choco?

Comment

...as our life together is syrupy and celebratory all year long (awwwwww....)
                    Awwwwww. Maple or Malolo?

Comment

I wonder if he also expected giri choco?
                      Ahhh, the 'obligation' choco. I understand it is becoming less common since the bubble burst. He owns his own business with no female employees so no giri choco for him.

Comment

So, you romantics out there, how was your heart-y day?

Comment

My girlfriend had a flower arrangement delivered to my workplace. It was a half dozen long-stem red roses, which also included Anthuriums and other greens. I thought it looked really nice, but being a former florist herself thought for $60, the arrangement was under par and felt ripped off.

This has been the case for the past 3 years. Valentine's day flower delivery "rip-offs". Either me or her. Anyone else around here felt you or your significant other have been stiffed by the florist on V' Day?

I seen one newspaper ad for a dozen roses at $90. That seems way overpriced. Truthfully, I'd rather sink that $90 into part of the payment for gold jewelry..not flowers that will die in 3 days.

I have yet to wine and dine her later this week as a Valentine's Day raincheck. We both had to work yesterday.. too busy.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                            Awwwwww. Maple or Malolo?
                            Well, we just spent last weekend in Canada, so you do the math.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              So, you romantics out there, how was your heart-y day?
                              Since the AF wasn't expecting anything from me until White Day, she was surprised to find a card and gift waiting for her, hidden until day's end.
                              Earned me a few more SNAG points.

Comment

Working...
                              X