Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dam Burst on Kauai

Originally posted by sinjin
    Arial is a font. Aerial is from the air. They ought to make journalists go to school.
    Theres too much articles for me to be looking who wrote Arial. Kindly direct me into the said article so I can "see" for myself.

Jornalists do go to school as far as I know. It's a hard job. I admire each and every one of them!

Nobody's perfect. We all make mistakes.

Btw: I am not a Journalist! I am a BLOGGER!

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; March 15, 2006, 11:32 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

More photos of the damage that were included in the Kauai newspaper. It doesn't look like much in the aftermath but I'm sure it was scary to have that wall of water come down what normally is a quiet little stream.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Theres too much articles for me to be looking who wrote Arial. Kindly direct me into the said article so I can "see" for myself.
        Auntie Lynn
        On the link to KHNL that GM posted.

Pet peeve of mine as I work with aerial photography every day.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
          Arial is a font. Aerial is from the air. They ought to make journalists go to school.
          True. And neither has anything to do with area, as in "the areal extent of the damage".

Comment

KHON reported at the end of its 6 p.m. newscast that the body of a woman has been found. That's the second body, after the first was found soon after the breach yesterday.

Meanwhile, the names of the seven missing have been officially released, including a young boy (Rowan Fehring-Dingwall) and a pregnant woman (Christina Macnees).

Comment

Computer model simulations of the dam break at Kaloko in different formats. Pretty impressive. And as Lee Cataluna notes in her column today, a very similar situation happened in Anahola in 1991 and we still don't have any better system to protect people than back then, even though 4 peoples' lives were lost in that tragedy.

"...What has been learned?

The old-timers will tell you there's no match for the will of water. It goes where it wants, it takes what it takes. It will bring down mountains, uproot forests and break hearts. Perhaps the best we can do is to have a healthy measure of fear for its potential and watch where we put our roads and houses, where we travel and where we sleep...."

Miulang
              Last edited by Miulang; March 17, 2006, 06:50 AM.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Still in Lihue, transmitting more photos... but it's nice to see blue sky and sun... I just hope it lasts!

Comment

The BIG thing I noticed regarding this Kauai flood is that on the Broadcast news or print, I rarely heard a reponse from the Kauai Mayor(once in KITV) or Kauai Civil Defense. It was always from the State that we got news from. Does Kauai have it's own civil defense office? If so, where are they on the news?
                  Last edited by alohabear; March 20, 2006, 04:51 AM.
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

>>>Does Kauai have it's own civil defense office? If so, where are they on the news
                    <<<

They do indeed... I was there everyday. It's in the same building as the police station. Kinda by the airport...

See: http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/17/news/story02.html scroll down and there's a photo I shot of the inside of the Emergency Operations Center. Top notch place, probably the best in the state...

Most of what came out of the daily pressers the mayor held was just numbers and updates of what was happening. Better stuff was happening on the streets, so that's probably why not too much was printed (with us, anyway...)

Comment

In this article in the Honolulu Advertiser, Pflueger's attorney is claiming that his client has no responsibility for maintenance of the Kaloko dam because of a contractual agreement which assigns the maintenance responsibility to another company. On the other hand, the law clearly states that the property owner is the one responsible. I'm no attorney, but if a contract says one thing and the law says another, doesn't the law always trump the contract?

Comment

Yes, the law trumps private contracts. If the contract is between Pflueger and a third party, it might be that Pflueger would be ultimately responsible and that the contract might give Pflueger the right to try to get indemnified or reimbursed by the third party or give Pflueger some claim against the third party for not fulfilling the contract. If the contract is between the State and a third party then Pflueger might be on more solid ground.

Comment

Took them long enough: Grand jury probes dam breach.
                          At least a dozen people were called to testify at the grand jury, including the property manager and numerous employees of retired auto dealer James Pflueger, who owns Ka Loko Dam.
                          Also called to testify was former Kauai Mayor Maryanne Kusaka, who said yesterday that her appearance was rescheduled but no date has been set.
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                          X