Hawaiian names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian names

According to this website, my hawaiian name (translated from my real name) is "Bane Kahoku".

I know that these sites are just for fun, but I was wondering if that's true?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Hawaiian names

Mine's stay Keahi Lono , But had a coffee mug that had Kapeli on it instead. Hey wasn't Capt. Cook thought to be Lono? Uh Oh....
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

No.

C'mon. It's a trinket for blogs. When it comes to credibility and usefulness, it's right up there with the "What Family Ties Character Are You?" They think they're being funny with the Hawaiian names, just like some people think Dim Sum Dum Dum is a hilarious Chinese name, randomly assigning pseudo-Hawaiian name pairs. I'm certain someone would take offense.

Even sites that do give you Hawaiian names are usually just giving you transliterations of the English, not names based in any meaning. And for the serious Hawaiian scholar, a Hawaiian name would never come out of a book (let alone some website), or even neccessarily from a parent. It would come from a family elder, or a spiritual leader, someone steeped in tradition and respected in the community.

Comment

Kai Lono. What? Something about the ocean? My real name, if I met a Hawaiian, the first thing they'd ask is if I'm related to the so-n-so's of Moloka'i or Hilo. Back in the 80's I was known as "Biff". Yeah, I used to hang out with Scooter and Skippy. Now I'm Grumpy Old Fart.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          No.

C'mon. It's a trinket for blogs. When it comes to credibility and usefulness, it's right up there with the "What Family Ties Character Are You?" They think they're being funny with the Hawaiian names, just like some people think Dim Sum Dum Dum is a hilarious Chinese name, randomly assigning pseudo-Hawaiian name pairs. I'm certain someone would take offense.

Even sites that do give you Hawaiian names are usually just giving you transliterations of the English, not names based in any meaning. And for the serious Hawaiian scholar, a Hawaiian name would never come out of a book (let alone some website), or even neccessarily from a parent. It would come from a family elder, or a spiritual leader, someone steeped in tradition and respected in the community.
          Thanks pzarquon. It's kinda what I thought, especially since it doesn't make any sense in relation to my real name. Similar to American Indians.

Comment

okay, now I'm really interested in learning my "hawaiian name" (and I'm too lazy to go to those tourist places).
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Sounds like you simply want an Hawaiian "version" of your given name? Like Kawika/David or Kale/Charles? I believe there are resources for that at most libraries. Check out the one on campus. If not, the state library has everything. You might also find something at a good bookstore. I recall seeing stuff like this around so it's gotta be out there.

Comment

My Hawaiian name is Auntie Alohilani Anani!

Das wat the ting said.
                Last edited by 1stwahine; April 2, 2006, 10:19 AM.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                X