X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Watch This! Web Video Finds

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    I enjoyed meeting the team from Kohala High School, "The Cowboys," who had huge spirit for their small group. My mother's family is from Kohala, and one of the women thought she actually knew my grandmother's family!
    Small world. My mother is also from Kohala.

What exactly was the objective and strategy of the ball game? Which robot could get the most balls? Place it on that rack succesfully? Or were there several different games? Was it timed?

I was hoping it was gonna' be "Battlebots" style where they clobber each other to the kill. Remember that show? It was a riot to watch at first, but after a while it got stale.

When they start building more humanoid style designs that have movement like humans with functional legs and arms, that will make for some very entertaining "Battlebots". Have them rip heads off, complete with fake luminescent green blood that gushes out. You know, real drama.

It took Honda motor company YEARS of R&D just to get their robot to climb stairs successfully. Apparently walking on two legs is a tough skill to duplicate robotically.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Small world. My mother is also from Kohala.
      Beautiful, wonderful area. Actually, to be more precise, our family's from Hawi or Kapa'au. We still have a homestead lot up on Hawi Road. My mother went to church at Kalahikiola (which was severely damaged by the earthquake a few years ago). My maternal grandparents are buried at the Kohala Jodo Mission behind the original King Kamehameha statue. It was nice to see faces from the area doing techy things, but still with that paniolo spirit.
      What exactly was the objective and strategy of the ball game? Which robot could get the most balls? Place it on that rack succesfully? Or were there several different games? Was it timed?
      It was pretty complex, actually. Points were awarded for a variety of things: time to knock both your color alliance's balls off the overhang, number of laps run around the course (more points if the robot was holding a ball), number of times a ball goes over the overhang (more points if it flies over rather than rolls), and big bonus points if you could have balls seated back on the overhang at the end of the round. Of course, robots could play defensively, blocking other teams, knocking away the other alliance's balls, and so on.

And there were two phases to each round, autonomous and guided -- the robots would have to run on their own for a few seconds before the teams could jump on the controls.

It was surprisingly exciting! But key to the competition was cooperation. It was always three teams against three teams. Even if you had the "best" robots, if you didn't coordinate well with the others assigned to your alliance (which could be, in some rounds, your arch rivals), you could come in last. So teamwork is emphasized throughout the program.
      I was hoping it was gonna' be "Battlebots" style where they clobber each other to the kill.
      Well, these robots do play rough, and there were pieces broken off quite regularly, and a couple of robots had to be carried away. Though a smashfest sounds fun, obviously the point of these competitions is to mix sturdy construction with agile, fine-motor maneuvering.

Comment

• Simply An Amazing Video

After watching this, I'm trying to figure out if an elephant can really be trained to paint a picture, or if the animal really IS this smart. It's just an amazing video clip.

Elephant Self Portrait

DD
        www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

You can click here to see 2-1/2 minutes of an incredibly angry ocean attacking the coast of France.
          (And a rather lovely requiem as the music bed, too.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            You can click here to see 2-1/2 minutes of an incredibly angry ocean attacking the coast of France.
            WHOA!! That is some seriously heavy footage. Thanks Lika.
            Don't be mean,
            try to help.

Comment

I apologize ahead of time if this is not the proper place for this and please, Ryan delete, move or whatever with this, but this is an absolute riot, and yet perhaps with where technology is and how it's growing exponentially that this isn't farfetched! It's from the ACLU.....makes its point very well and yet...is funny, too.

Just watch...you'll be glad ya did, I suspect.

http://aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf
              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                WHOA!! That is some seriously heavy footage. Thanks Lika.
                Well thank you too, Jamie. Every time I see a post from you, with your sig line of "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do; Life's been good to me so far." I get a big smile from the 'mental video' image of Joe Walsh singing that! (Complete with the helmet cam. )

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                Just watch...you'll be glad ya did, I suspect. http://aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf
                Funny and scary at the same time.
                (And I chuckled at the guy's reservation at "Motel 8 in Honolulu".)

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                  Just watch...you'll be glad ya did, I suspect.
                  Ah, a classic. Been around since 2004 at least!

Here's my latest video, a family trip to Lanikai Beach. It's the first time our youngest son didn't spend the whole time whimpering in fear... he actually progressed from dabbling in the surf to reveling in it.

Comment

Ryan, a classic, eh? dangme for not having been treated to it till now. I am glad it was okay for this thread cuz video? well, not in the truest sense.

Will check out your latest. thanks~
                    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      As someone commented on the page regarding reality TV:

SURVIVOR: LIGHT HOUSE

Talk about hangin' tough! Pass the antidepressants!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Ok, something is not quite right about this video and I can't seem to put my finger on it. Something that's not moving SHOULD be moving, but I cant quite figure it out yet.......hmmmmmmmm

Cool HELICOPTER

DD
                        Last edited by DiverDown808; April 11, 2008, 10:56 AM.
                        www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

You haven't truly lived until you've completely humiliated yourself on live television. Thanks to KITV for letting me share and savor the moment for posterity.

Comment

You are truly a Hero and Sport!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                              You haven't truly lived until you've completely humiliated yourself on live television. Thanks to KITV for letting me share and savor the moment for posterity.
                              *sniff!* You've made us all so proud! You've perfected a move that so many of us are still trying to develop. (Or so it seems.)

Comment

Was that an audition tape for Dancing With The Stars?

Comment

Working...
                                X