X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Watch This! Web Video Finds

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
    As soon as I saw this, I knew it HAD to be Wooten!
    Indeed, Victor Wooten is easily one of the best bass players in the world, as confirmed by polls in a bunch of guitar player magazines.
    I remember the first time I saw Wooten, playing (as usual) with Bela Fleck & The Flecktones on a PBS "Soundstage" special that I just happened to stumble onto. I was absolutely stunned (especially when Wooten did that incredible "Amazing Grace" bass solo in the video link above), and I ordered the DVD of that show (Live At The Quick) instantly.
    Anyway, Tatt, I've gotta tell you that I was glad to see your post about an hour ago, but the weird cosmic-timing thing is that just a few minutes ago I was scanning through the TGIF section of today's Advertiser and saw this:
    CONCERTS: Nov. 28-29
    Béla Fleck and The Flecktones, right, bring their irresistible mix of jazz, bluegrass and pop for a pair of Toyota Pops concerts with the Honolulu Symphony. Fleck (with banjo) and crew will perform songs from their upcoming holiday album “Jingle All the Way.” But there’s more Fleck before the concerts: A documentary featuring the banjo virtuoso, “Throw Down Your Heart,” is screening at 7:30 p.m. today at the Doris Duke Theatre as part of a special American Film Institute series and Friends of Film Friday.
    8 p.m. Nov. 28-29 / Blaisdell Concert Hall / $20, $34, $49, $82 general; $17, $28, $40, $66 seniors and military / 877-750-4400, www.ticketmaster.com
    I am SO going to that!!! Wooten plays stage right, as I recall, so I'll buy my tickets on that side.
    And according to their tour schedule they're also playing Kona on Nov. 25 and 26, and Maui on Nov. 30.
    Victor Wooten's own website is http://www.victorwooten.com/ , of course.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I have seen then at least a dozen times when I lived back in Hampton Roads(Virginia Beach), Wootens family is Hampton based and the brothers were always around. Every year Bela and the boys played the Jazz on the river at townepoint park in Norfolk and it was THE BEST FREE thing to doo all year! Victors brother, "Future Man" is the "drummer" for Bela but has a body suit with triggers that is his drum set! I have had the honor to attend 2 of victors Bass clinics and hav benn amazed at how remarkbly humble and down to earth he is, and just in general a mello, good hearted soul.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

• Hana hou!, Bradda Iz, telling it straight

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdTj4sJ1CNA&feature=related

Aloha
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

• Re: Hana hou!, Bradda Iz, telling it straight

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          Thank you Ron
          stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Thanks, Ron. And if anyone didn't get the "rag" reference, he meant about kids wearing them as part of a gang thing.
            I had the incredibly good fortune of being there that night. It was when the Hoku Award show was still in the grand ballroom at the Sheraton Waikiki, and I was just a couple of tables away from the stage. IZ's speech was awesome, and unplanned, but when the Makaha Sons joined him onstage for Kaleohano, the room went NUTS. That was unplanned too. I think it was Jerome who grabbed John and Moon and up they went. IZ had been singing with his eyes closed and didn't know the Sons had come up on the stage until he heard them start singing along.
            As the video shows, the entire room was on their feet, and there wasn't a dry eye in the house.
            (Except for one person. Kata Maduli stayed seated, and frowned the whole time. )
            The emotion in that room was beyond description, with almost a thousand people sobbing and hugging. After the song, the broadcast cut to commercial, while the live audience still stood and continued clapping and crying. Billy V was emceeing the evening, and when it was close to going back on the air he too had to wipe his eyes and then told everyone "Okay, we'll be live in 10 seonds, so we've all gotta try to hold it together." Didn't work very well.
            To this day I still can't hear Kaleohano without getting misty.
            The vide of the whole song with IZ and the Sons from that night is at this link.
            Grab a kleenex.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Wow...

Thanx, LN, I've wanted to see that for a decade. One of the few moments in great modern local music that I missed, and dreaded doing so.

Here's a Berger article on Son's history that is typically, interesting, funny, and sad - www.animalnetwork.com/hawaii/library/articleview.asp?Section=Music&RecordNo=842
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The vide of the whole song with IZ and the Sons from that night is at this link. Grab a kleenex.
                Seeking Penance thanks LikaNui

Mahalo Likanui
                stay forever young

Comment

Many people I know glued to this webcam:

http://cdn1.ustream.tv/swf/4/viewer.45.swf?cid=317016
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                    Many people I know glued to this webcam:[...]
                    Now I see why! Ooooooh, sooooo cute! They need to become part of the John and Kate Plus 8 show with each sextuplet getting his or her own puppy! Pandemonium!

Comment

Here's one for all you cat lovers!
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The vide of the whole song with IZ and the Sons from that night
                        Very moving in a good way.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

What an inspirational guy. Have some Kleenex handy!
                          (Sorry if this has already been posted.)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                            Many people I know glued to this webcam:

http://cdn1.ustream.tv/swf/4/viewer.45.swf?cid=317016
                            aaaawwww
                            stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              Here's one for all you cat lovers!
                              aaaaaaaaaaa

*throws a huge uhaul box to the floor*

*waits for matapule*

lol
                              stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                                *throws a huge uhaul box to the floor*

*waits for matapule*
                                It would have to be a refrigerator box!

Comment

Working...
                                X