Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Areas to recommend or avoid?

Hi all,
    I've been to Honolulu way back in 93 and I found it to be quite safe. Just wondering if things have changed over the years. Are there any particular areas in Honolulu that tourists should avoid? How about recommendations? I'm planning to just relax and perhaps do some light shopping this time around. Any good and affordable drinking holes in the Waikiki area?

Thanks

Re: Areas to recommend or avoid?

It's hard to know what you'd want to go to, or avoid, if you don't say what you like and don't like.

Comment

I love my State. I love the island I was born and live on. Like any other place there are the good and the bad. Oahu is no different. There are various warnings for tourists in brochures, traveling magazines, etc. As Locals - we may find it not dangerous as one such as in your predicament.

To each his own.

If you see an environment that looks shady. Don't venture in.
      Common sense.

As for the watering holes. There are many bars in Waikiki. As for prices? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Alyn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; April 25, 2006, 12:06 PM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        It's hard to know what you'd want to go to, or avoid, if you don't say what you like and don't like.
        In terms of areas to avoid, I was thinking more of safety

I like to explore urban areas by foot - mainly for photography and seeing how the locals live.

Comment

No go down Chinatown / Hotel Street at night. No even go downtown at night. Too many weird people down there. During the day, no problem, but night time over there ... oh wow ... totally changes!!!

Comment

Well, it depends. I mean, hey, if you want to see all sides of how locals live, if you're looking for some... interesting sights and colorful personalities, downtown and Chinatown after dark will deliver in spades. And hell, parts of downtown and Chinatown are in an arts-and-culture renaissance of sorts. Just, other parts aren't. Heh.

I wouldn't really blacklist too many areas as "too incredibly dangerous to visit," although that obviously would change drastically if you're walking around with a camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
              No go down Chinatown / Hotel Street at night. No even go downtown at night. Too many weird people down there. During the day, no problem, but night time over there ... oh wow ... totally changes!!!
              Hmmmm...I just came home from spending couple of hours at Kaiser's Emergency Room - Pensacola. I shall return laterz and deal with the above comment.

Dale, Whack Whacks!

Da nerva!
              (I will be back!)

Auntie Alyn of Chinatown!

btw: I'm fine. I survived again.
              Last edited by 1stwahine; April 25, 2006, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Aku Bone Lounge and Grill on the corner of Kona and Pensacola streets, about one block ewa of Ala Moana Center. It's good if you want to stay away from Waikiki tourist traps.

Great live Hawaiian bands as well...Holunape plays Tuesday nights from 7:30-10:00, Pilioha plays Wednesday 8-10, and there's a new Sunday band too...can't remember their name or when they play.

Good pupus and drinks at a reasonable price. Just make sure you go early for parking and a table!!!
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                  Aku Bone Lounge and Grill on the corner of Kona and Pensacola streets, about one block ewa of Ala Moana Center. It's good if you want to stay away from Waikiki tourist traps.

Great live Hawaiian bands as well...Holunape plays Tuesday nights from 7:30-10:00, Pilioha plays Wednesday 8-10, and there's a new Sunday band too...can't remember their name or when they play.

Good pupus and drinks at a reasonable price. Just make sure you go early for parking and a table!!!
                  Wow, sounds like a commercial. Guess this is the bar you work(ed) at, then? I like Aku Bone too. Maybe I see you there next time...

Comment

Brah, when was the last time you were in that area?

If you like go at night, go for First Friday. Get plaaaaaaaaaaany people then.

Comment

Nah, you just gotta take one personal body guard aka Auntie Pupule, az her turf.
                      ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Juss let me know in advance . I'll give you a personal tour of Chinatown both daytime and nightime! One no tourist has ever seen before! No worry, you will be safe and will get a glimpse into the True Life in which goes on in Chinatown, Honolulu, Hawaii!

As for photography? Our Chinatown has so many wonders and magical opportunities. It is endless.

Let me know if you want the Auntie pUpule Tour of Chinatown!

A recommendation would be to go on a First Night as Palolo Joe suggested in his post. Chinatown has become a mecca of sorts with Arts and Crafts. It is featured on the first Friday of each month. Downtown becomes a packed walking art show as crowds go from gallery to gallery.

We also have night clubs and various entertainment venues. Karaoke Bars and of course our famous Hawaii Theater!

Yes, we do have some shady characters as any city does. I'm proud to report that as of this writing the war on Drugs in the area is finally being WON! It was worse before.

I am not going into specifics. That is not the topic of this thread.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...irthday254.jpg
                        http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...Febuary019.jpg
                        http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...e/opala045.jpg
                        http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...irthday248.jpg

Auntie Alyn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; April 25, 2006, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          Brah, when was the last time you were in that area?

If you like go at night, go for First Friday. Get plaaaaaaaaaaany people then.
                          I work down there and I like get out of there as soon as possible after pau work. That place scary when the sun goes down. Aya!!!

Comment

You know, Pompey, having a local tour guide as knowledgeable (and colorful) as 1stwahine might actually be a pretty good idea. I'm sure she can help you see and appreciate lots of things you might miss were you to venture around Chinatown on your own.

Hell, 1stwahine, you should consider making it a side business. There is indeed an open-minded class of visitor (or, perhaps, a more pruriently-minded set as well) that actually seek out the kind of "real" portraits of local life that apparently scare folks like Dale.

Comment

I work down there and I like get out of there as soon as possible after pau work. That place scary when the sun goes down. Aya!!!
                              Maybe 10 or 15 or so years ago the downtown area was "scary when the sun goes down," but not any more. I always thought Kuhio Ave. after midnight or 1 a.m. was a bit more challenging....

Comment

Working...
                              X