Wave Waikiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wave Waikiki

Stories collected for Wave Waikiki's 25th anniversary celebration last November from some of the many who have worked there. Sadly, this reads more as a eulogy now ...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...511040315.html

Comment

Aloha everybody and a warm mahalo to the people at HawaiiThreads.com as I am brand spanking new here. I remember years ago in 1978 when I found The Wave Waikiki. Back then it was a club called Lava Lava. I was brand new to the night club scene and since that time have been to several others as well (Man oh man do I miss Bobby Mcgees and Masquerades as well..Anyone else?) Anyways I knew from the very first night that I was there at Lavas that this was a unique place and after a few years in "81" when it became officially "The Wave" it also became my second home. I'm a former worker as well in the restaurant industry here in Hawaii and my motto back then for my work ethic and still is by the way goes something like this.." That the place where you hang your hat outside your hale is your very own and personal home away from home" Customers I served loved knowing that should be the case when I attended to their needs. I called The Wave this for a little over ten years before the scene as well as the music was changing and so to was The Wave in and of itself.

Thru it all and even when the format was evolving to what it is today I wished nothing but the best for this very well held club in my heart. So many times when I was going thru some very turbulent and bad issues back in the early days of the 80s and up to the point when I left there..The Wave Waikiki was always and I mean "Always" their to cheer me up..More importantly it revitalized me and opened so many vital doors in so far as making friends and being part of something I think we all know as being truly one of a kind in so far as clubs are concerned. And the bands and people that worked there? Everyone from the bouncers outside to the people that worked in it..Djs waitresses bartenders and yes even the manager and owner (Jack Law if you read this I thank you so very much for hanging in there as long as you did and for all of the truly astounding events you held at The Wave.. In my eyes you are and will always be a wonderful person and all around great human being.. His work for "The Life Foundation" has a special and personal place in my heart as well) these were great people and even though it could get ugly there from time to time with getting rid of the wrong people that occasionaly tried to disrupt the otherwise fantasticly fun atmosphere there(Drunken misfits looking for a fight etc) it was and will always be an amazing place and more importantly a home away from home as already mentioned.

Time has moved on and as that old saying goes "The times they are a changing" Overall now with what I can look back on as well as what is happening today here in Hawaii. I can say without a single doubt that just because the times change it does not necessarily mean you have to agree with it especially when it comes to how here in these islands (Oahu especially) the powers that be love to take something that has special meaning and historical value in our communities and culture and replace it with something cold and sterile that rarely if ever is a huge commercial sucess in the business world. The convention center and a few other places I will not even bother to name because the list can make a person like me angry..well they to come to mind.

A few days ago I went down to The Wave to take a few daylight and early evening photos of it for memories sake. I could feel such an unimaginable sense of loss as the last picture was taken (I think that is similar to how it will feel when they give that very final last call this coming Saturday) There standing in front of me could very well be one of the last places that made Waikiki a truly amazing experience in the world of night clubs. Yes I know there is Zanzabar and yes it to stays open till the wee hours but does it even come close to the history and very unique and special blend of music, stories, and a place that strikes a chord in your heart for the intangible like The Wave does? Does any place for that matter? In my opinion and there maybe others that post otherwise (I will respect your opinion even though I do not agree with it) I think the answer to that is a resounding no. I will greatly miss you Wave Waikiki and once you are gone it will never in any way be the same as a result of your unwanted and truly needless departure.

This Saturday May 20 2006 will forever change things and heart breakingly enough none for the better..

Aloha To The Wave on the edge of Waikiki..May it forever live on in our hearts and memories..

I hope you all had the time of your life..

Comment

I would never have figured that Ron Jacobs would ever set foot inside The Wave Waikiki. Albeit the old KPOI radio station was just a short walk away
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          Paul, that is by far the FUNNIEST post I've ever read on HT. ROTFL!!!! Even funnier because you claim it REALLY happened. Really? That's nuts! Or.. never mind.

So did your coffee taste better with "cream" in it?

I hope you include that story in your stand-up routine.

So was that cream factory made, home made, or organically made?
          A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Actually 2 things to be said here 1. Im not Ron Jacobs and I did go in with my tag knowing I would get yuk yuked by a few almost old timers..(Come on now people dont grow old in Hawaii we just tend to have more candles on our cake is all lol) And 2. I is dis guy and my tag was in response to what Ron always was trying to ask us it seems when saying that now famous phrase.. Also I dont think Ron would have mind going to The Wave. Think of all the interesting stories he could have talked about if he hung out there Hehehehehe Ok speaking of which as the sad day approaches and The Wave is getting ready for it's swan song here (Actually I expect it to go out with a roar!) I think now would be a great time to ask everyone out there if they have a best of the best Wave story they may want to share.

Nevah hurts to ask..Unless some of you peeps in H.T. land did something to wild to ever want to mention

Hope no one did anything kinky in the KC drive in bathroom across the street from there way back when. Especially if The Wave was to full and you were looking for whatevah it is you wanted to do..I mean if the waffle dog at KC's was a bit to hot and greasy..ummmm never mind lol

I think everyone knew where to do the recreational stuff though..Ahem nevah mind to dat one 2
            Last edited by Who da guy? I da guy!; May 18, 2006, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I am having a hard time trying to figure out how many of these condos are really needed. Hawaii Real Estate is considered an international market. How much of it is investment property being bought by people who don't live here and how much of it fills a legitimate housing need.

Comment

Good question and the problem as they say gets worse and worse. Hawaii strays far from a good balance between what is needed and what is wanted by investors both here and abroad. It's a pretty tough call no matter how you address it for one main reason. We know what does'nt work but we refuse to both do something with that knowledge over things we have already done in error.. And just as important here..Apply it to the future and current dilemas. There is a serious lack of hindsight or any sight here in a lot of these scenarios. And if that is not the case then I am inviting any of the people in this field to address this matter and give a justifiable enough response here. That being said though I also realize that any business venture is a big risk. Things dont always go according to plan..yes I understand that is a given but still..Anywho on to the tall order of reality on dealing with what is presented to the public. I really have to say that when you see the big picture here we actually learned (Over time) to put up with such an embarrasing record of failed ventures or ones that are ailing is more to the point I should say. Either way this is not just wrong but wrong in a very scary way when things like this become common place to the point of just accepting it as is. In so far as the case of re-devolpment of properties here? To preserve what we have left in terms of beauty and even cultural significance there will have to be (In my opinion) a significant shake down of what is currently in place when it comes to chosing what is really needed. In another post I mentioned that I will miss The Wave and when I look at what it will become I cannot help but really cringe at what the end result maybe and sadly enough what had to be removed to make way for a project that may not meet it's intended needs or what it promises to deliver.

(Wheither that be short term or long term the proof is always in da poi!)
                Last edited by Who da guy? I da guy!; May 18, 2006, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Whoa, nelly...

Just got home from the last night at The Wave... good times, indeed.

Good friends, good bands... I was glad I was fortunate enough to have documented it...

I'm gonna miss that place...

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                    Whoa, nelly...

Just got home from the last night at The Wave... good times, indeed.

Good friends, good bands... I was glad I was fortunate enough to have documented it...

I'm gonna miss that place...
                    I hope you took video or photos.

I'm about to walk over there (just doorsteps from my place) and take some photos of the exterior, including that infamous Ewa-side "WAVE WALL" that's been painted over with coconut trees.

I'll share the photos ASAP.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm about to walk over there (just doorsteps from my place) and take some photos of the exterior, including that infamous Ewa-side "WAVE WALL" that's been painted over with coconut trees.

What a coincidence! On Sat, before I went to the Wave that evening, I drove over to the North Shore to attend the yearly North Shore Studio Artists Tour--I met Margo Goodwill, artist who did the "Waving Palms" mural that adorns the side of the Wave building. I only this morning made the connection between her and that mural--drat! I would have loved to have asked her how she felt about her work coming down...

I could only stay a few hours...I arrived at the Wave early and had to leave around midnight, but I had a blast and was reluctant to leave. I'm going to be sad to see that place gone. It was so close to my house! Sigh...yet another condo building that I can't afford to live in going up instead...at least I could afford to go to the Wave and usually enjoyed myself there...grrr...

Comment

I and another photog from the Bulletin were there... all night. Look at Monday's Bulletin for two pages of photos and stories... Things got pretty wet and wild...

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                          I and another photog from the Bulletin were there... all night. Look at Monday's Bulletin for two pages of photos and stories... Things got pretty wet and wild...
                          I'm shocked. SHOCKED!
                          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Hmmmm I to went to The Wave last night (By the way how many are ya are feeling the genuine loss and sadness now? I know a few of you shared sentiments..jus thought there maybe more of you out there..) Anywayz I went with my trusty and brand new camcorder..Not only did I get shots of The Wave inside but the very legendary and wonderfully talented Sonya Mendez did most of the actual shooting..She is a dear friend and I have called her Aunty for many many years almost in fact from the beginning when I started going there! (Believe me it's a honor and a priveledge to be that to her!!!!) I to had a major blast there last night unfortunatly I had to dig around midnight to as the line to get in was really really long one!..(I was actually getting some Star Wars flash backs of waiting in line to see the film when I saw how humongous that line was getting..fortunatly I was there prior to the place opening and was able to get in as a guest of ms Mendez.. Believe me I was lucky and not bragging here lol) Man talk about being almost human wall paper in there! That is how packed it was! Overall an awesome night as they immediatly played all original music from waaaaaaay back when as we entered! The entertainment was top notch as is always the case there and I got some of that and all of Sonya's performance as well! Hmmmm this new camcorder of mine is supposed to be able to download onto my pc as well but I am supposed to have something called an I.E.E. port or something like that on my computer..I know I have the following on my pc.. smart media port and..lets see here *Looks at stuff* ummm a compactflash1/11 as well as a mmc/sd and a ms/ms pro on it as well..There is also a hp dvd/ cd-writer combo..all of which is pure gibberish to me as I am not a techie..Can someone please tell me if one of those things I mentioned is what I need to download the tape I made onto my pc? And if not where is an IEE port supposed to be on your pc and is that what it is really called when looking for it? Thanks a lot peeps and if I can at least manage to create some vid files then if possible I would be more then happy to make some and find a way to post em to! Some of the video looks kinda dark and I was jus learning to toy around with the cam.. but still the part with Sonya on stage and performing is worth it and maybe I can find a way to post that one! I loved The Wave's last night and I will remember it always..Another condo.. Another problem in the place were The Wave once made Waikiki a happening place is all we will have left now it seems
                            Last edited by Who da guy? I da guy!; May 21, 2006, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Who da guy? I da guy!
                              Hmmmm this new camcorder of mine is supposed to be able to download onto my pc as well but I am supposed to have something called an I.E.E. port or something like that on my computer..
                              That would be IEEE 1394, also called iLink (Sony) and Firewire (Apple). See this Wikipedia link to help you check if your PC has it. It's been standard on the Mac for several years now. Apparently it's also available on Sony products, but not sure about other PC brands. I hope you're able to post some of that video footage. I'd love to see that performance by Sonya Mendez.

Originally posted by Dick
                              Things got pretty wet and wild...
                              Details please. In all its wet and wild glory. Pictures would be nice too.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Who da guy? I da guy!
                                Hmmmm I to went to The Wave last night (By the way how many are ya are feeling the genuine loss and sadness now? I know a few of you shared sentiments..
                                Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Would you mind adding some paragraph breaks next time you post? It would make it a LOT easier to read. Many people have a hard time reading all the way through one huge block of text. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X