Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Billboards?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    Eh no get racial on me! But den it shoulda been called Tsunami's!
    Originally posted by kimo55
    wot. wasn't a japanese wave?
    Well, here's an ironic twist on that...

There's a fairly new sports bar on Kuhio Ave. across the Waikiki Trade Center named TSUNAMI'S . Naturally, their sign in front incorporates "wave art". But the style looks more like something that came out of a California surf shop than from Japanese woodblock art (see it at that link). Go figure.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by dick
      I do find it odd that a Polynesian Cultural Center bus can have the entire bus covered in a giant ad for the place, but TheBus can't have any ads attached.
      Well there are ads inside of TheBus, plus given how much they charge for those cards inside TheBus, it might cost way much more to put an ad outside of TheBus, not to mention the time it will take to put all those banners on over 500 buses.

Comment

so.
        wasn't da wave waikiki a japanese art style wave?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
          Well there are ads inside of TheBus, plus given how much they charge for those cards inside TheBus,
          yea and boy are they illiterate!
          saw one a week ago:

"There's books, music, slam poetry.
          Not to mention cuisine by top chefs... at the Honolulu Book and Music festival.
          In association with "Literacy Hawaii"

Hawwwhawhawwwrrrruugmph!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            so.
            wasn't da wave waikiki a japanese art style wave?
            You mean this one. Yes, it's Japanese woodblock print. I remember that style well from the children's story book MOMOTARO which we read in elementary school.

Remember SkySign? They used a helicopter that towed a HUGE 8'x36' electronic scrolling banner sign. Looks like the Outdoor Circle played a part in getting them grounded as well. I could just imagine how many "Will You Marry Me?" and "I Love You!" 'advertisements' would have been sent up on that thing.

It'd be kinda' neat if they brought a Good Year Blimp here to Honolulu. At least for one major event such as a proposed Aloha Stadium SuperBowl.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
              Well, here's an ironic twist on that...

There's a fairly new sports bar on Kuhio Ave. across the Waikiki Trade Center named TSUNAMI'S . [...]
              Interesting! I wonder if it's the same people who owned the old Tsunami's on the Waianae Coast (Maili). The 2 seem to have a similar entertainment theme. It closed or changed hands last year (iirc) and is now called Beaches. I can't recall whether or not the old Tsunami's had any exterior wave graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                . I can't recall whether or not the old Tsunami's had any exterior wave graphics.
                no. Just an artist's interpretation of a wiped out seaside village.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  Interesting! I wonder if it's the same people who owned the old Tsunami's on the Waianae Coast (Maili). The 2 seem to have a similar entertainment theme. It closed or changed hands last year (iirc) and is now called Beaches.
                  Tutusue, you said you just had lunch there at Beaches. So how was it? What kinda' food? Prices? Ambiance? Service?

I've passed by that place several times when they were Tsunami's with great curiosity, but never bothered to go in and try it.

I really love those oceanfront wooden "tavern" style restaurants (like the Shack HK!)

After you answer that I'll resume back to topic. Thanks!
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Tutusue, you said you just had lunch there at Beaches. So how was it? What kinda' food? Prices? Ambiance? Service?

I've passed by that place several times when they were Tsunami's with great curiosity, but never bothered to go in and try it.

I really love those oceanfront wooden "tavern" style restaurants (like the Shack HK!)

After you answer that I'll resume back to topic. Thanks!
                    That restaurant has morphed so many times since I've lived in that neighborhood (14 years) and I'm not entirely sure why. Money seems logical but the space continues to be a restaurant...the ambiance and decor stay the same, very casual, a bit rustic...the food and, for the most part, the menu have remained the same; standard 'tavern' type food! Dunno about dinner, tho'. The only difference I personally see is that there's a pool table where there wasn't one 14 years ago! Beaches was basically empty when my friend and I got there a little after 1p. We had a great waitress, Mary Jo. The ocean view is, of course, dynamite. The food isn't 5 star fare but, then, that's not expected! It's in the $$ price range. I think it's more of a night time hang out for the locals, esp. the bar. I didn't check to see what kind of entertainment they offer, if any. Years ago they had live Hawaiian music which was perfect for that spot. That gave way to karaoke over 10 years ago. I rarely eat out when I'm home but I do like Beaches as I did it's other incarnations.

No Wyland murals in Waianae...that I'm aware of!!

Comment

Mahalo Tutu! I'm still unclear whether you recommend Beaches or not, but I'll give it a try anyway and have lunch there on my next drive to the west coast.

Speaking of the Waianae Coast and Billboards... folks who live along Farrington Hwy. sure aren't shy about showing their political support during election season. I swear half the campaign signage produced by candidates during election season are posted along fences of homes on the west coast. I've even seen a few homes that were supporting competing party candidates on the same property fence.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Mahalo Tutu! I'm still unclear whether you recommend Beaches or not, but I'll give it a try anyway and have lunch there on my next drive to the west coast.

Speaking of the Waianae Coast and Billboards... folks who live along Farrington Hwy. sure aren't shy about showing their political support during election season. I swear half the campaign signage produced by candidates during election season are posted along fences of homes on the west coast. I've even seen a few homes that were supporting competing party candidates on the same property fence.
                        The political signage always amazes me especially since, last I heard, the Waianae Coast has the lowest voter turnout on Oahu!!! Well, no wonder...no one can figure out who to vote for! They're too busy hanging campaign signs for every candidate!

I like Beaches, Pomai. It's also the only restaurant of it's kind along the coast! Be sure to give it a try.

Comment

would anyone consider the rainbow on the side of the rainbow tower at the hilton to be a billboard?

Comment

Heh. Versus the wave on "The Wave"? Art versus ad? I don't think either is/was a violation of the billboard law. And with the Rainbow Tower, the rainbow tile mural was (I imagine) an integral part of the building from the beginning, as it was probably considered a landmark before it was even built. And it's not like it's part of the "Rainbow Hawaiian Village."

Like I said, between Wyland murals, soda machines, truck panels, questions of "free speech" versus political or commercial speech, and the like, there's no easy line to draw. Why go after a small ad truck but not a semi container with a ten-foot Big Mac? Who knows.

(Though at least the other trucks with ads are serving a business function, whereas the only reason the otherwise empty ad truck is on the road is to advertise. Same argument was used against Sky Signs when they pointed at the logos on the sides of Hawaiian or FedEx jets.)

Some things should be targeted but are, other targets make no sense. Overall, though, I think the agressive law and its watchdogs are a good thing for Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by p0id0g
                              would anyone consider the rainbow on the side of the rainbow tower at the hilton to be a billboard?
                              Perhaps if it were a grotesque rendering of Conrad Hilton...

... but it needs to be done by Wyland...

...does he do tile mosaics?

>>>
                              Got this from the Hilton Web site (hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/ media/documents/History_000.rtf):

Rainbow Tower® opens with the world’s largest ceramic-tile mosaic spanning 286 feet high by 26 feet wide on each end of the tower. More than 16,000 colorful tiles are used to complete the mosaic.
                              <<<

Comment

Ah, what timing. Bob Loy, Director of Environmental Programs for The Outdoor Circle, just sent out this update:
                                We are extremely pleased to report that the State Legislature has passed HB2708, The Outdoor Circles legislation to control mobile advertising in Hawaii. It now goes to the Governor for her signature.

The final version of the bill prohibits mobile advertising vehicles, which includes trucks, cars, trailers etc, whose primary purpose is to display advertising. The bill will not prohibit other forms of mobile advertising such as banners or signs on trolleys and buses. Nor will it prevent advertising on The Bus or the proposed Oahu Transit System. We will have to consider future action to deal with those inappropriate forms of advertising.

For now however, please join us in rejoicing over this great victory for the visual environment of our beloved islands. This legislation stops the mobile advertising industry at our shores.
                                Are "banners or signs on trolleys and buses" inappropriate? How about, say, versus marketing images (not third-party ads) on the sides of commercial vehicles?

Gotta ask Bob to come over and join the conversation.

Comment

Working...
                                X