Oprah's House in Hana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oprah's House in Hana

Hawaiian appropriate or not...it's just bad.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
      Hawaiian appropriate or not...it's just bad.
      When you have the kind of money she has, you can do whatever you feel like doing, and if they hadn't done that photo shoot, you never would have known how "bad" the house was, would you? When taken as a whole, Oprah is doing more for preserving open land on Maui than most people.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        When you have the kind of money she has, you can do whatever you feel like doing, and if they hadn't done that photo shoot, you never would have known how "bad" the house was, would you? When taken as a whole, Oprah is doing more for preserving open land on Maui than most people.

Miulang
        I didn't mean "bad" as in bad for Hawaii. I just meant her taste in decor...l which, of course is just my opinion ;-)
        I guess what it comes down to is , just don't like Oprah :-p
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
          "They came with pineapple doodads and big flower things. They had everything but a hula skirt," she recalls. "I said, 'Whoa! If I want to see Hawaii, I'll just walk out my door.'"
          no, oprah. If you wanted that kitchy Hawaii, you would just walk thru the swap meet.

Comment

All the stuff that she's got in her house has some significance to her, and since she's the one who has to live there, who are we to criticize? At least the house isn't a McMansion that sticks out like a sore thumb, as some of the newer houses in Kula are.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

She's a celebrity. Heck, folks will criticize her choice of toothpaste. She makes bank on the public's interest, so she certainly knows she'll get mocked as much as she's praised.

Besides... she published a tour of her house in her magazine. Whether it's Oprah or some Kahala orthodontist in Hawaii Home and Remodling, if you're gonna go, "Check out my crib!" Some folks are going to fawn, others are going to yawn.

I think she has a very nice house, and I wouldn't turn my nose up were I forced to live there! My only complaint, as above, was her impression of what would've constituted contemporary Hawaiian decor -- not whether or not she chose to pursue it.

Comment

it is her house and if i were asked my criticism, it is the employment of decorators.

people paid to throw dumb s#!t here and there and then it is Architectural Digest worthy.
                "there. I spread out a buncha slightly similar coffee cups on a sideboard. yes that is decor. it is art, Don't use them. That'll be $1200.00"

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  it is her house and if i were asked my criticism, it is the employment of decorators.

people paid to throw dumb s#!t here and there and then it is Architectural Digest worthy.
                  "there. I spread out a buncha slightly similar coffee cups on a sideboard. yes that is decor. it is art, Don't use them. That'll be $1200.00"
                  I love this reply. Brilliant description of a decorating scenario! Ya really made me laugh.
                  Speak to me in quiet ways, of moonlit nights and halcyon days~

Comment

Working...
                  X