Kapolei High School Marching band!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kapolei High School Marching band!

What do you guys think about the Kapolei High School marching band? Although its a new school there has been talk about it being a huge competietor against old established marching band school such as Roosevelt, iolani, and such.

I've been watching the band grow over the year and I have to say, that they always suprise me every year with each show.
    I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Re: Kapolei High School Marching band!

I would like to see a marching band like the ones in Drumline. Hawaii schools need to elevate to better showmanship. Push for perfection!

Comment

As soon as high school music programs are given the budget of a flashy Hollywood production -- or even a college band as depicted in such a production -- and are not, instead, first in line whenever budget cuts are made, you will!

I come from a family full of band geeks. My mom's been a booster for four different local high schools, and is today, five years after the last of her kids graduated from high school. I've been to countless festivals -- OIA, Rainbow, various football games -- and think that our kids do, generally, a fantastic job for what they've got to work with.

Kamehameha, Moanalua, Pearl City (though they're not as active in exhibitions and competitions) and Mililani are the big names, with good reason. They've got great programs that sustain themselves even through several classes (i.e. not tied to one particularly talented set of sophomores in the brass section that eventually graduate). But, they've also got the sheer mass, and frankly, even a B+ performance looks great on a field if you've got over a hundred "pixels" to play with.

Smaller schools? Absolutely Kapolei is wowing everyone. New school, new program, but whatever they've got, they're doing great stuff with it. Definitely the ones to watch. Kahuku is probably the most recent small-program standout. They couldn't cover the field like Kamehameha can, but they still had a big sound and sharp moves.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        [...]Kahuku is probably the most recent small-program standout. They couldn't cover the field like Kamehameha can, but they still had a big sound and sharp moves.
        Several years ago I needed to cast a marching band for a local McD's commercial. We ended up using the Kahuku HS band. It was during one of Kahuku's hot football seasons and that band was (in the immortal word of Paris Hilton )...hot. Terrific kids, too...even when we had them marching and playing in full uniform up and down the beach! The band faculty was extremely dedicated and it showed.

Comment

Kahuku defenitely has GREAT sound especially for a single A division marching band. Anyway, word is that kapolei high school JUST got their new uniforms and is going to do something to WOW the crow and surprise everyone.

The band went from 70 to 90 from the past year and is probably going to push up to triple A division. I think that is incredible growth since just three years ago they were just a small single A band.
          I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Comment

Working...
          X