Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I put in a monthly newsletter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I put in a monthly newsletter?

To help keep people in the know about computers (and to help keep clients) I'll start a monthly newsletter. So, I ask you people as potential clients: what would you like to know in a newsletter? So far, I have some tech news that everyone should know (virus info, mergers, etc), free stuff to download and discounts.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: What should I put in a monthly newsletter?

You mention discounts. How about a different coupon in each newsletter good for <fill in the blank> with an expiration date?

Not sure this is something you want to put in a newsletter but how about trading services for something you need or want?

Depending on how often you publish your newsletter, what about a classified ad type column for readers to buy and sell computer related stuff?

Just some Sunday musings!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
      You mention discounts. How about a different coupon in each newsletter good for <fill in the blank> with an expiration date?

Not sure this is something you want to put in a newsletter but how about trading services for something you need or want?

Depending on how often you publish your newsletter, what about a classified ad type column for readers to buy and sell computer related stuff?
      This will be a one page newsletter, so I maybe I can setup a classifieds secition on the website.

Comment

I think writing Computer 101 stories is not necessary. A case in point, a recent story I read about what to choose for your college-bound child to take to school. Everyone knows that stuff. It's almost insulting to read a story that says "...and don't forget a hard drive..."

I think for your newsletter, Adrian, and I have written for several and now write two myself, go with what you know and also serve your audience. You can address how to put together a computer, but don't talk down to your audience. How about a story including pitfalls to avoid when it comes to components? I'd even include a review of hardware or software programs.

Another thing you can do is recruit computer clubs to submit columns. And since women are gaining a lot of ground in this formerly exclusive male bastion of nerdom, I'd try suggest including profiles on women who excel in CAD, web design, etc.

And finally, because I hate to spill my guts all at once and give you ideas when I should be writing them myself, I'd suggest stories that include businesses that use computers and the internet for profit.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

It would be tight if you listed the top of the line hardaware and their benchmarks so people could put the type of machine they're getting into perspective. They could say "yeah I'm just doing word processing so I don't need that kinda processor but I do need some storage space", or a gamer,"Whoa top of the line video card, thats really expensive though. This one's a lot cheaper and is somewhat similar, I'll grab this..." That would be a big help for most people.
          "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
          "But I can't even read good."
          "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
          "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
            It would be tight if you listed the top of the line hardaware and their benchmarks so people could put the type of machine they're getting into perspective. They could say "yeah I'm just doing word processing so I don't need that kinda processor but I do need some storage space", or a gamer,"Whoa top of the line video card, thats really expensive though. This one's a lot cheaper and is somewhat similar, I'll grab this..." That would be a big help for most people.
            All of my clients so far are internet surfers, so integrated graphics cards and at most Intel Celeron processors are the norm. Maybe I can go more towards laptops, or other "toys" (iPods, PSPs, etc), or even have a top 5 list of products. (great, this newsletter will be pushed back to a September release)

Comment

Just make sure you have all your business stuff in place (license, insurance, etc) before you start doing internet selling. All it takes it one disgruntled "competitor" to blow the whistle on you if you don't have all the business stuff taken care of first. If all you're going to do is teach people stuff, that's one thing; selling stuff is a whole nother kettle of fish.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Just make sure you have all your business stuff in place (license, insurance, etc) before you start doing internet selling. All it takes it one disgruntled "competitor" to blow the whistle on you if you don't have all the business stuff taken care of first. If all you're going to do is teach people stuff, that's one thing; selling stuff is a whole nother kettle of fish.
                I'm just waiting for the license to be approved right now. Now I know why people think the gov't is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                  Now I know why people think the gov't is slow.
                  Maybe they are still on dial-up?

Comment

Working...
                  X