Rental car recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rental car recommendation?

my family and i are heading off to maui for a short visit to see my folks and i was planning on renting an economy size car. i have no idea if all rental agencies charge the same amount or not but thought i'd ask. it's gonna be really short: rent it from the morning and return it the same day around 6 pm.

soz if you have any suggestions, i'm all ears. thanks.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: Rental car recommendation?

I have had good service and good prices from Alamo and National. I've gone with Dollar a few times and that was fine, too. Lately, I've gone with Thrifty and that has been pretty great, too. Quick online reservations and nice people. Cheap, too.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I suggest Priceline! I used them and got my car for 18.00$ a day....full size. They work with all those companies.
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

You've just gotta be careful you get what you think you're getting with Priceline. They are known for giving you exactly what they specified and yet it ends up being bad (e.g. you can get smoking rooms in a hotel), and also for tacking on a bunch of after the fact taxes and fees.

Comment

I know I could use a travel aggregator like Priceline or Orbitz and save, especially via packages or whatever, but I just can't help myself and tend to book directly with the company -- hotel, car rental company, and the like.

When traveling to Hilo, I tend to go with Thrifty. Very competitively priced, and while I've found their cars to be the least likely to be brand new or immaculate and clean, they also have decent availability (perhaps because of the somewhat older cars!), which is often a problem at a smaller airport. Then again, we're always looking for a big ol' minivan, not a compact or convertible.

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
            my family and i are heading off to maui for a short visit to see my folks and i was planning on renting an economy size car. i have no idea if all rental agencies charge the same amount or not but thought i'd ask. it's gonna be really short: rent it from the morning and return it the same day around 6 pm.

soz if you have any suggestions, i'm all ears. thanks.
            You can also try Aloha Rent A Car (toll free: 877-452-5642). They have older model cars so they cost less. Whenever I need a car, I try them first.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

cool! thanks for all the good advice.

(gatta eat some guri guri while i'm there!)
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Hope your parents don't live on the Lahaina side! It'll take you at least an hour to get there (barring any traffic jams or accidents). Have fun and don't forget to bring back da Krispy Kremes! (If you have time, go to Sam Sato Store in Wailuku by the post office and get some turnovers...awesome).

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
                  You've just gotta be careful you get what you think you're getting with Priceline. They are known for giving you exactly what they specified and yet it ends up being bad (e.g. you can get smoking rooms in a hotel), and also for tacking on a bunch of after the fact taxes and fees.
                  TRUE I only use them for cars! Because I am cheap!
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    Hope your parents don't live on the Lahaina side! It'll take you at least an hour to get there (barring any traffic jams or accidents). Have fun and don't forget to bring back da Krispy Kremes! (If you have time, go to Sam Sato Store in Wailuku by the post office and get some turnovers...awesome).

Miulang
                    . . . . . . . . . .

nah, they live in paia (a time capsule if ever there was one!).

not sure why but i'm not that big on krispy kremes; maybe i'll change my mind if i eat one right at the store vs. after it's been shipped to oahu.

turnovers sound good, too. i do love sweets but fortunately my body's got this internal turn off switch that makes me feel sick if i eat too much sugar. most "mini" whatevers (like plate lunches) are regular portions for me. still, the thing i'm most looking forward to is the guri guri. delicious!

Comment

miulang, the aloha rental place only rents with a 3 day minimum so i called thrifty. only needed an economy but the woman said we could have a compact (nice, but not necessary) for $35.55 (taxes included, i believe). after making the reservation, i checked online and i couldn't really find a better/lower deal.

i guess that's a good deal; was hoping for less. guess i'm living in a time warp myself!

Comment

Working...
                      X