Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal Bonfire/Barbeque spots on oahu, hawaii.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Bonfire/Barbeque spots on oahu, hawaii.

Hey guys I was wondering anyone knows a place where I can have a beach bonfire on oahu. My friend is leaving for college next Monday and we wanna have some final get-together thing with like 8 of us total on friday. My plan is to have some kind of beachside barbeque/bonfire at night.

Anyone know any good places to have a fire? I live in Kapolei and I heard that you can have a bonfire in Barbers Point but im not entirely sure about that because before, you needed some kinda camping permit for it.

If anyone can help me set up the location for a good barbeque/bonfire Id be very greatful. Thanks!
    I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Re: Legal Bonfire/Barbeque spots on oahu, hawaii.

Bon fires in hawaii are not good...to dry! you gonna set everything on fire...Late 90's some campers set about 50 acres on fire in the Puako area of the big island because of a bon fire.... the timbres travel with the wind and you don't know where they land...(kapolei one of the dryest parts of oahu!)

Now a controlled bbq is a whole nother thing!

Maddazza - Remember Bellingham Bon Fires!!!!

On the beaches around whatcom county you could find old wooden railroad tressels that were literally covered in oil from the trains running over them... pile up about 4 of those suckers... you could literally have a 10 foot bonfire in minutes!
    Last edited by damontucker; August 8, 2006, 07:13 PM. Reason: expanding thought

Comment

You know what? There are most likely rules and designated areas and other technical stuff involved...

But I gotta admit, when I was a frequent camper (we did get camping permits, at least!), we collected and burned huge piles of wood on the beach all the damn time. It's a wonder we weren't spotted from space, or burned to a crisp. As long as we took care to make sure it was out, and left enough cooling time to clear it away, we figured it was okay. But was it?

Okay. Here's what the DLNR's knowledge base (which is pretty neat, actually) has to say, citing §13-221-20:
      Fires. (a) Fires are permitted only: (1) In locations, including backcountry, wilderness and remote sections of the premises when a written permit has been secured from the board or its authorized representative; (2) On portions of the premises that may be designated by the board or its authorized representative for fires. No permit shall be required for fires in the designated areas which shall be posted; (3) In stoves or lanterns using gasoline, kerosene, propane, butane, wood, charcoal, briquette, gas, alcohol or other fuels. (b) No person shall permit a fire to spread to and burn, scorch or damage surrounding trees, shrubs, grasses, or other flammable or combustible matter. (c) When no longer needed, the fire shall be completely extinguished. No person shall leave a fire unattended. (d) No person shall discard lighted cigarettes, pipe heels, matches, live coals, or other burning material within the premises.
      And someone at the DLNR did answer a specific question about beach bonfires by saying:
      A fire on a public beach is allowed only for cooking but must be contained, for example as in using a hibachi, campstove, etc.. Everything else (e.g. bonfire) is illegal without a permit.
      So, I guess for state lands, you can get a permit, or use designated areas. So picking a random stretch of beach like we did back in the day was probably a bad idea!
      Last edited by pzarquon; August 8, 2006, 07:19 PM.

Comment

When I was in cub scouts about 7 years ago, when we used to camp at the Barbers Point campgrounds we always made a campfire along the beach in the sand. Anyone know if thats is still legal, especially since Babers point is a public beach now.

Well, MOST likely since we cant (typo earlier) have a beach fire wheres a good place to have a night time barbeque with friends? Of course a place in Barbers Point would be ideal because its nearby but i dont mind going to another beach. I just dont wanna be pestered by homeless people. Anyone know if White Plains(barbers point) is a good place to have anightitme barbeque?
        Last edited by PBatoon; August 8, 2006, 11:47 PM.
        I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          we collected and burned huge piles of wood on the beach all the damn time.
          Ryan's on the sauce tonite.

Comment

we used to have irc get togethers down at kaena point.....and built bonfires there on the beach ..don't know if it was legal tho..cops never bothered..then again this was back in 99...dont know about now.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              Ryan's on the sauce tonite.
              Can you blame him? What with me and Joe and Lika and car saleswomen yesterday...you could compare it to herding cats, I suppose, but I think cats have better attitudes.

Comment

Working...
              X